• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why is it I can't find a bright, heavy Neutron Crave anywhere online?

I got this one from discgolfcenter.com about a week ago, but I don't think they have any more bright heavy ones left in N.
vx8Mi4x.jpg

I'd try calling gotta go gotta throw, the guys there don't mind digging through stacks of discs for you to find exactly what you want, great customer service.

Last edited:
Honestly, I don't think MVP needs pros to sell their discs, and I don't see them going with that model. Have they even made a formal announcement, or has it been all Nikko?

The people who care about pros in this sport are a very small demographic. If that small demographic helps MVP move some plastic, awesome. But they've been moving pretty swiftly up to this point without them.

its just like them having you or I push the products. More eyes on GYRO the better. I don't need to see Nikko throwing the discs to know they fly far and well. That's not the point. Hes not a salesman. Even if it WAS all Nikko it shows they apparently make a product good enough to consider. I don't see any UB molds or Vibram stuff etc...

Thanks for telling me where from/if there's any more left:|

I had already checked the local shop's online store, and there wasn't any left. But I am fairly sure that the crave I got was from a new order because he didn't have it a couple weeks before. So there should be some out there somewhere.

Marshall Street has a bright blue, red rim and a bright lime/yellow, red rim at 174 in stock.

Like what? It wont hurt MVP given what has been said by people like McBeth wondering what top pros will throw MVP discs... It takes all different kinds of people to build a successful business.
Honestly, I don't think MVP needs pros to sell their discs.

The people who care about pros in this sport are a very small demographic. If that small demographic helps MVP move some plastic, awesome. But they've been moving pretty swiftly up to this point without them.
Look, this is just my opinion, but I feel like MVP is going in the wrong direction lately. Releasing better versions of their molds under the Axiom brand several months after people have bought the MVP version, coming up with a Team Trollorgy clone (or at least acknowledging and encouraging it) and pairing with Nikko are three mis-steps that have me rethinking my willingness to try MVP first when I want to experiment with a new disc. I don't hate MVP, and I'm excited for some of what they're doing, but until recently I felt like they were hitting on all cylinders and doing things about as well as they could do them.

I agree with OneMile, and I felt like MVP's focus on consistency and building a complete lineup will do far more for them than aligning with ANY pro would ever do. Let people talk about "what top pros throw MVP". I don't care. I question your rationale for buying a product if you're buying it because someone else uses it. In fact, I'm a vocal part of what I usually consider a quiet majority: People who don't care what name is on the product if it works for them. Now, there is a caveat to that statement. I won't buy a product if I have a major issue with the spokesman. As an example, I acknowledged Tiger Woods' greatness, but I didn't like the way he carried himself on the golf course, and so I quit buying Nike clubs and balls. I am almost to that point with Nikko. His crybaby antics and stoner hippy image are a major turn-off. He may be the best guy in the world if you know him, but his public persona is not good, and not one I'd want to be professionally aligned with if I were a company. I'm not saying he's a terrible person, only that he's polarizing, and you usually want someone less controversial like Peyton Manning or Paul McBeth doing your advertising as opposed to a volatile persona like Nikko.

I guess to sum up my position, I have no incentive at all to throw MVP other than I liked the way the quiet way they responded to their fans, ignored their critics, and went about building a solid lineup of discs. Well that and that they were a Michigan company, and I like to support businesses in the state I was born in. But on the other hand, MVP is more expensive than Innova or Discraft, harder to find and replace, do not have discs to fill every slot in my bag, and are only beginning to offer the plastic options that other companies do. I'm not giving up on MVP by any means, but I am re-evaluating them.

Look, this is just my opinion, but I feel like MVP is going in the wrong direction lately. Releasing better versions of their molds under the Axiom brand several months after people have bought the MVP version, coming up with a Team Trollorgy clone (or at least acknowledging and encouraging it) and pairing with Nikko are three mis-steps that have me rethinking my willingness to try MVP first when I want to experiment with a new disc. I don't hate MVP, and I'm excited for some of what they're doing, but until recently I felt like they were hitting on all cylinders and doing things about as well as they could do them.

I agree with OneMile, and I felt like MVP's focus on consistency and building a complete lineup will do far more for them than aligning with ANY pro would ever do. Let people talk about "what top pros throw MVP". I don't care. I question your rationale for buying a product if you're buying it because someone else uses it. In fact, I'm a vocal part of what I usually consider a quiet majority: People who don't care what name is on the product if it works for them. Now, there is a caveat to that statement. I won't buy a product if I have a major issue with the spokesman. As an example, I acknowledged Tiger Woods' greatness, but I didn't like the way he carried himself on the golf course, and so I quit buying Nike clubs and balls. I am almost to that point with Nikko. His crybaby antics and stoner hippy image are a major turn-off. He may be the best guy in the world if you know him, but his public persona is not good, and not one I'd want to be professionally aligned with if I were a company. I'm not saying he's a terrible person, only that he's polarizing, and you usually want someone less controversial like Peyton Manning or Paul McBeth doing your advertising as opposed to a volatile persona like Nikko.

I guess to sum up my position, I have no incentive at all to throw MVP other than I liked the way the quiet way they responded to their fans, ignored their critics, and went about building a solid lineup of discs. Well that and that they were a Michigan company, and I like to support businesses in the state I was born in. But on the other hand, MVP is more expensive than Innova or Discraft, harder to find and replace, do not have discs to fill every slot in my bag, and are only beginning to offer the plastic options that other companies do. I'm not giving up on MVP by any means, but I am re-evaluating them.

I love some good conversation on a Monday morning, so allow me to respectfully play deviol's advocate in response to your post.

If you are going to take the moral high ground in terms of what you throw, your bag would look a lot different. Between Vibram (naming a disc 420), Innova (former sponsorship of Anthon, who was no choir boy before his legal troubles) and Legacy (also sponsoring Nikko), you'd be down to only Discraft if you took out everything due to having moral disagreements. Not saying all of these things are issues for you, just creating some discussion.

As for your assertion that MVP is putting out better molds under the Axiom brand, I think that's opinion. Yes, the Envy has been a smash, but I don't think nearly as many people throw the Alias as they do the Axis or Vector. Some people prefer the Servo over the Crave due to the feel in the hand. It's a different strokes for different folks situation, but to say that MVP is saving the good molds for Axiom is simply not objective.

Finally, if you were a disc manufacturer and you had a rabid following like MVP or the Trilogy brands do, why wouldn't you acknowledge them? They are a MASSIVE part of these companies' success, and if making these players feel more involved keeps more cash moving in, then more power to them.

Now, the best part of this whole conversation is this: We are in the golden age of choice when it comes to disc golf brands. If this were 10 years ago and you didn't want to throw Innova, you were pretty much limited to Discraft. Now, if you want to stop throwing MVP, and aren't comfortable with the Trilogy brands, you still have loads to choose from.

So, it's definitely your choice if you don't want to throw MVP. I understand you have concerns, but as far as comparisons to other brands go, MVP is still growing. There is going to be an evolution along the way, and for some people that will be fine and others won't like it. But if the discs work for you, why not throw them?

Putting excessive thought into your Frisbee purchases #firstworldproblems

Using "well known" names to endorse products seems to be a fairly sound marketing strategy that many super successful business employ. I don't agree that there is a silent majority of consumers rejecting celebrity endorsements. Most people will probably say that the name on a product doesn't mean anything but I think it brings eyeballs to the product/service. It may not convince a person, but it's definitely a piece of the puzzle.

Having pros throw and endorse MVP would push the brand more than just DGCR nerds and word of mouth.

Last edited:
I feel like the move to sponsor is less about having him be a salesman and good personal as it is aabout eyeballs on their product at this point.

They don't have a complete lineup to require a straight MVP/Axiom bag from their pros. So who besides MikeC is going to be willing to do a mixed bag and be high enoughprofile to get eyeballs on the pproduct?

Honestly, I don't see Nikko remaining sponsored by MVP long term.

I agree that MVP does not strictly need a top sponsored pro. It will help in having a more complete marketing strategy though.

I agree it is possible that they lose a handful of customers over him. I am not a fan of Nikko, for the same reason Puck mentioned, but I love their products too much to stop buying it over that.

I think it will be a net positive for them.

Last edited:
. His crybaby antics and stoner hippy image are a major turn-off. .
:wall: It still confounds me that people get this upset by something that was an integral part of the roots of this sport. Get over it. Its now legal in 3 states and DC.

BTW over the weekend I played two tourneys where I saw several people using MVP discs. After a year of basically being the only person in the field throwing MVP, its a great thing to see. MVP is a growing company and Nikko may or may not help that process, time will tell.

:wall: It still confounds me that people get this upset by something that was an integral part of the roots of this sport. Get over it. Its now legal in 3 states and DC.

BTW over the weekend I played two tourneys where I saw several people using MVP discs. After a year of basically being the only person in the field throwing MVP, its a great thing to see. MVP is a growing company and Nikko may or may not help that process, time will tell.

Good point

It must be impossible to watch a movie or TV show considering how many actors have exhibited questionable behavior at some point in their life.

Status
Not open for further replies.