• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
All this clamoring about Niko but do we know who approached who. They know what they're doing and if it doesn't work they'll put an end to it.

There is no such thing as bad publicity right?

Whatever though really, I just dig their stuff

Zoom-Z-Hog-BaitPack-Of-8-California-420-4Inch-Z-Hog-California-420-450x450.jpg

Using "well known" names to endorse products seems to be a fairly sound marketing strategy that many super successful business employ. I don't agree that there is a silent majority of consumers rejecting celebrity endorsements. Most people will probably say that the name on a product doesn't mean anything but I think it brings eyeballs to the product/service. It may not convince a person, but it's definitely a piece of the puzzle.
You seem to have misinterpreted my point, either deliberately or because of the length of my post. Celebrity endorsements can be effective. Mike Trout, Dwayne Wade, Peyton Manning, Paul McBeth, and Will Schusterick are all guys you probably want as your pitchman. They're accomplished, recognized by their fan bases without being divisive. They're likable and non-polarizing, and maybe a little boring, but very successful.

Mike Vick, Barry Bonds, Rob Gronkowski, Allen Iverson, Nikko Locasto and Josh Anthon are examples of people who have had success, but who you may not want as the face of your company. Especially when you're a small, growing company like MVP. IMO they'd have been better served to wait a year and see if they could land someone better.

:wall: It still confounds me that people get this upset by something that was an integral part of the roots of this sport. Get over it. Its now legal in 3 states and DC.
Say WHAT?!? Nowhere did I say anything against pot. In fact, I'm very strongly PRO-legalization. But when you look like a counter-culture dirtbag, and frequently act like a spoiled child, you're not a good face for a company.

To touch on the pot thing though, it doesn't matter what you or I think Brutus. The simple fact is that the people who have power to decide where or if we can have courses installed on public lands fall mainly into one of two catagories. They either:

1. Are older, or conservative, or are against legalization for some other reason
  2. Do not want to deal with the flood of calls from "concerned citizens" who witness, or hear about, or simply suspect that someone might be breaking the law on public land.
If we can agree that the majority of people on Parks and Rec boards are either hostile to legalization, or don't want to be bothered, it seems logical that we should try to clean up our image if we want to keep taking up hundreds of acres of public land for free.

Because I don't want to rock the boat, I now leave the beer at home when I play public courses in Ohio, and only take cans to the courses in Michigan where it's legal to drink in the park, as long as it's not in a glass container. Similarly, I enjoy cigars. Nice hand rolled tobacco cigars that are expensive enough that you'd never use them as a blunt. I've started leaving those at home too. I've had one to many rangers take an interest in what I'm doing because I'm smoking a cigar on the course, and I realized that it was probably due to those nosy concerned citizens I mentioned earlier. So, is it really asking too much for you to leave your illegal substances at home? I'm doing my part. "Get over it" and do yours.

Last edited:
You seem to have misinterpreted my point, either deliberately or because of the length of my post. Celebrity endorsements can be effective. Mike Trout, Dwayne Wade, Peyton Manning, Paul McBeth, and Will Schusterick are all guys you probably want as your pitchman. They're accomplished, recognized by their fan bases without being divisive. They're likable and non-polarizing, and maybe a little boring, but very successful.

Mike Vick, Barry Bonds, Rob Gronkowski, Allen Iverson, Nikko Locasto and Josh Anthon are examples of people who have had success, but who you may not want as the face of your company. Especially when you're a small, growing company like MVP. IMO they'd have been better served to wait a year and see if they could land someone better.

"I question your rationale for buying a product if you're buying it because someone else uses it. In fact, I'm a vocal part of what I usually consider a quiet majority: People who don't care what name is on the product if it works for them."

I was mainly addressing this part of your post.

I understand the issue with a questionable spokesperson, but it also reads like you were questioning the entire idea of product endorsement. Two different arguments going on here.

Is celebrity endorsement effective or is there a "silent" majority that do not buy in? You seem to be making both claims.

"I question your rationale for buying a product if you're buying it because someone else uses it. In fact, I'm a vocal part of what I usually consider a quiet majority: People who don't care what name is on the product if it works for them."

I was mainly addressing this part of your post.

I understand the issue with a questionable spokesperson, but it also reads like you were questioning the entire idea of product endorsement. Two different arguments going on here.

Is celebrity endorsement effective or is there a "silent" majority that do not buy in? You seem to be making both claims.
To be more clear: I think a recognizable spokesperson has value for almost any product. However, I don't believe they're the direct reason people buy, and if you have the wrong endorser, things can backfire quickly, and you derive more harm that you would have by simply not having a "famous person" pitch your product.

As a positive example, Rob Lowe is a better spokesman for satellite tv than some random guy off the street. However, if you asked people why they actually bought the product I believe that most people (certainly the people I know) would not buy it because Rob Lowe has satellite. They're buying because the price is better, or they can't get cable, or they're mad at the cable company, or they want programming that they can't get elsewhere (Sunday Ticket) etc. They may remember that the commercial made them laugh, but that is more important than WHO was in the commercial. I hope the number of hardcore Rob Lowe fans who saw that commercial and ran out and got Direct TV or Dish or whoever it was for can be counted on the fingers of one hand. On the other hand, there are probably an equal or greater number of people who Rob Lowe has upset in some way (an inevitable part of celebrity it seems) who will now not buy from the company he advertises for.

My main point is that if you don't have a bulletproof celeb/pro athlete endorser you're better off doing without. Innova was lucky that Josh Anthon was not a bigger part of their image. Fortunately it was him, not McBeth or Climo who got arrested for felony hit and run, and they were able to quietly drop him. I'm NOT saying Nikko = Anthon, but he isn't squeaky clean, and if I were running a company I wouldn't want to take the risk of negative association.

To be more clear: I think a recognizable spokesperson has value for almost any product. However, I don't believe they're the direct reason people buy, and if you have the wrong endorser, things can backfire quickly, and you derive more harm that you would have by simply not having a "famous person" pitch your product.

As a positive example, Rob Lowe is a better spokesman for satellite tv than some random guy off the street. However, if you asked people why they actually bought the product I believe that most people (certainly the people I know) would not buy it because Rob Lowe has satellite. They're buying because the price is better, or they can't get cable, or they're mad at the cable company, or they want programming that they can't get elsewhere (Sunday Ticket) etc. They may remember that the commercial made them laugh, but that is more important than WHO was in the commercial. I hope the number of hardcore Rob Lowe fans who saw that commercial and ran out and got Direct TV or Dish or whoever it was for can be counted on the fingers of one hand. On the other hand, there are probably an equal or greater number of people who Rob Lowe has upset in some way (an inevitable part of celebrity it seems) who will now not buy from the company he advertises for.

My main point is that if you don't have a bulletproof celeb/pro athlete endorser you're better off doing without. Innova was lucky that Josh Anthon was not a bigger part of their image. Fortunately it was him, not McBeth or Climo who got arrested for felony hit and run, and they were able to quietly drop him. I'm NOT saying Nikko = Anthon, but he isn't squeaky clean, and if I were running a company I wouldn't want to take the risk of negative association.

Do you think anyone will stop buying MVP due to Nikko?

I personally believe it will help the company (not sure how much).

I wonder, since disc golf is a fringe/niche activity, is someone like Nikko actually IS better for a brand than a more middle of the road player like Nate Doss, Will Shusterick, Paul McBeth, etc. It would be hard to do any sort of study on that since my three examples are technically (just based off the amount of big wins) better players than Nikko. However, Nikko is not only more exciting and dynamic of a player (if you don't think he's fun to watch, you haven't watched enough of his actual playing) but, I would think, more relatable to the average person playing disc golf at this time.

I'm just spitballing. I like what MVP/Axiom does...especially the Envy. I honestly, after much self reflection, can't find a real world way that Nikko would hurt the MVP brand. More and more people are trying out MVP/Axiom because of two factors:
1) they look awesome
2) word of mouth from MVP throwers of all skill levels and experience

MVP has a pretty substantial line-up, and they are adding more and more. I like that they've taken it slow with sponsorships. MVP fans/supporters have long written and talked about how well-planned out MVP/Axiom is. This shows that.

And in the long run, I would say Mike Cook has had more long-term impact for MVP than the Sandstroms or Nikko will ever have.

Now let's get back to gnashing our teeth over the actual discs!

does any other company have 8 new discs planned for 2015 already announced and approved?

Its a great time to throw MVP/Axiom that's for sure Andy!

Status
Not open for further replies.