• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love new releases, and MVP is cranking out some SWEET stuff right now. But I've never understood the whole "putter dilemma" thing. My putter is the Ion. Period. Nothing will take it's place. I may be considering adding or replacing the plastic (N for Plasma), but the mold is forever locked in my bag.

Once you have your putter, you can toy with adding complements. Atom for anny approaches. Proto for hyzers. Soft Envy for the cold. Stuff like that. Toro, maybe you could keep your core Anodes and add an Atom just for certain shots, for example.

I think the more we stick to our main putter, the better putters we'll actually be.

Very true. The Anode is my putter. I toy with all the new putters though and the Plasma Ion and N Proxy have a shot to be a more approach style disc. When we get Electron Anode's i'll probably carry two of those along with 1 premium Anode (Plasma or Eclipse)

...Once you have your putter, you can toy with adding complements. Atom for anny approaches. Proto for hyzers. Soft Envy for the cold. Stuff like that. Toro, maybe you could keep your core Anodes and add an Atom just for certain shots, for example.

I think the more we stick to our main putter, the better putters we'll actually be.
This just needs to be highlighted again. I completely agree with this. My putter will always be an ion. I've been putting with them for three years. I won't even audition a new putter for putting duties. They just feel right to me.

I've been told from the majority of people I play with that I'm the most consistent putter out of all of us. I'm one of two that has not changed putters in our large group of regular players. The other guy played in '85 Worlds. He's been using the same putter for decades and he and I are pretty deadly when we are teamed up in dubs. He can't drive very far but when he steps up to a 35' putt he says "what? this little gimmie?," proceeds to hole out, "it was only an eight-footer."

Find your putter and stick to it indefinitely. That just happens to be IONs for me.

Other putters just honestly feel, wrong.

Doesn't the Ion have the same deep and rounded inner rim as the Anode though? That never bothered me when putting(fan grip), but it did when throwing. The feel(grip) of the Proxy is so clean by comparison, and even to many other putters. And I figure the Envy and Atom are the same.

Yeah I just miss the bead when I use anodes but they feel the same with the rounded inside of the rim is $. Only a few other putters have a similar design not have the 90 degree angle between the flight plate and inside rim wall.

No problem-- You are not alone in the feel part. For me on a power grip there is something about those 2 discs which just fit my fingers and hand great. Really allow me to get leverage behind the rim and on the flight plate. Its why the Envy was such a huge hit though as it has a much more conventional feel and I think that's why the Atom is being well received.

No problem-- You are not alone in the feel part. For me on a power grip there is something about those 2 discs which just fit my fingers and hand great. Really allow me to get leverage behind the rim and on the flight plate. Its why the Envy was such a huge hit though as it has a much more conventional feel and I think that's why the Atom is being well received.

While I didn't like the feel of the Anode inner rim for throwing, when I was throwing it there was no issue and it flew fine with great results. I'm now using the Proxy in that role and love the feel and the dead straight flight...or hyzers and anhyzers as needed.

I'm always surprised that people dislike the "feel" of the ion. I've never noticed or thought about the feel of any disc, and the inside shape of ions only stand out to me as fitting my grip especially well. it's hands down the easiest disc to throw and manipulate, sometimes I think of dumping my whole bag and just throwing an ion.

Gotta have a Vector and Volt in there too.

I could see scoring well on any course with those three. The rest is just lettuce

The rounded inner rim took some getting used to for my power grip.

Speaking of Vectors I'm about to go throw 18 with nothing but Ions and Vectors. Revisited Ions, why not Vectors as well?

Speaking of Vectors I'm about to go throw 18 with nothing but Ions and Vectors. Revisited Ions, why not Vectors as well?

Yes, and I use a 3 finger power grip for throwing putters, and finger tips were more on the rounded area than on the vertical rim wall, which never felt quite right.

Yes, and I use a 3 finger power grip for throwing putters, and finger tips were more on the rounded area than on the vertical rim wall, which never felt quite right.

sometimes I think of dumping my whole bag and just throwing an ion.

I did that for 2013, ~85%+ of my rounds were Ion only, another ~10% were Ion and Magnet rounds. The last ~5% were Ion and other stuff, 4 discs max.

An Ion is my travel bag, unless the course has thick rough or water then I add in a POS driver that I don't mind losing.

Mold loyalty is all well and good, but the Atom is my putter. I can't ignore how much more natural it feels for me. "Bonus" range felt automatic yesterday.

Status
Not open for further replies.