• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] MVP Disc Sports (Official Thread) (Part III)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did that for 2013, ~85%+ of my rounds were Ion only, another ~10% were Ion and Magnet rounds. The last ~5% were Ion and other stuff, 4 discs max.

An Ion is my travel bag, unless the course has thick rough or water then I add in a POS driver that I don't mind losing.

heard that. my ions dont fly over water.

**** i have ions i wont even throw anymore theyre so good. ill bust em out if someone holds a gun to my head and says 'ace this hole,' or if i have to play dg in the olympics or something.

I've got some new blank soft neutrons, and brand new circa 2011 opaque protons. That's part of my issue with Ions. I can narrow down my putting Ion to one or two that I've got, but I have about 8 different Ions I'd really like to be driving with.

Brought a FR green Vector out today. It flew more overstable for me than I remembered on FH, and less overstable than I expected BH. Weird. I think next round will be Ion / Vector / Axis. Ions back in for sure, but I think I need another round or two with the Vector to decide what I'll do there.

Clean that form up Arnold Schwarzenegger! Lol.... The ion problem is one I have too. But is that really s bad thing?!

I'm always surprised that people dislike the "feel" of the ion. I've never noticed or thought about the feel of any disc, and the inside shape of ions only stand out to me as fitting my grip especially well. it's hands down the easiest disc to throw and manipulate, sometimes I think of dumping my whole bag and just throwing an ion.

That's how I feel about the Anode. It fits my grip perfectly and I know and trust how it's going to fly. I'm confident and that leads to consistency. The Anode is great for driving too, pretty much any MVP putter is a good driving putter though.

Yeh, but it's always been the #1 complaint with the Ion and Anode. You guys with your missing fingertips might like the curved inner rim, but I'm glad they dropped that funk on later MVP and Axiom putters.

Last edited:
First tournament with the Atom. I didn't putt perfectly, but it did much better than anything else I've used in years. Showed it off to a lot of people, ran into a few other MVP guys, and made a lot more putts than I usually do. It even got me a 45-50' putt in the dark in a playoff for 2nd. I don't have any intention on getting rid of the Atom.

Glad to hear it. I have a couple Atoms on the way and I have no doubt I'll like them just fine for putting. I'd be putting with a Proxy if it wasn't Neutron plastic.

Yeh, but it's always been the #1 complaint with the Ion and Anode. You guys with your missing fingertips might like the curved inner rim, but I'm glad they dropped that funk on later MVP and Axiom putters.

Ion/anode actually make it easier to properly power grip a putter. You never want to pull the rim of the disc into your palm with the finger tips. I don't have small hands at all and its a perfect fit when you have a solid power grip.

I would say most people don't grip a putter right in the first place when trying to drive them.

LOL

So, I can learn to grip and throw just like AFTC, or I can throw the other putter core that releases much more naturally for me, particulary powered down, and flies every bit as nice.

Hmmm....what to choose? <insert winky "not trying to fight" emoji of choice>

Ion/anode actually make it easier to properly power grip a putter. You never want to pull the rim of the disc into your palm with the finger tips. I don't have small hands at all and its a perfect fit when you have a solid power grip.

I would say most people don't grip a putter right in the first place when trying to drive them.

No way.

And with a firm enough grip ain't no disc moving around in palm of hand.

I threw the Anode a lot for 2 years, and while the curved inner rim never really caused release issues, every time I gripped it I was conscious of the weird feel. It's the reason I eventually stopped using it.

One more vote for not liking the feel of the ion. I tried really hard to like it, the ion flew at least as well as my wizards in my field tests and the rounds I tried with ions in the bag. It was just never comfortable in my hand, and you can talk all you want about how people should just get over it, but that wasn't worth it when I had wizards that flew pretty much the same. Sure, I could have made it work, but I don't like to have to do that when there's an alternative that feels natural in the hand already.

1025 rated typists

I just have a preference, and it's not the Ion.

This sounds snarkier than I meant to, my bad.

And, to be fair, I don't like power-gripping putters, mids either for that matter (but I am working on it with mids, trying to coax a little extra D there) but that could have something to do with it.

I don't get all this Ion worship. If I can't throw a Voodoo, Wizard, Challenger, etc as well as an Ion, there's something wrong.

There are a ton of good putters out there with normal rim configurations, including the newer MVP and Axiom putters...which I will take over an Ion or Anode any day.

Status
Not open for further replies.