• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Its kind of weird with the Valley for me. I can hyzer flip it and it will pretty much always come out. i might need a lighter weight.

The Arch is becoming a nice fairway driver.

BUT.....

Old run ascents are where it is for me. The old X link is amazing.

I bag a 171 medium Valley and 172 soft Trak. I consider the Valley to be more understable, because it has beat-in considerably, whereas the soft Trak doesn't beat-in, though it was pretty understable after being run-over by a car.

The Arch sounds interesting! I'm looking forward to the Notch, which is supposed to be at retailers by the end of the summer, so that's soon! I need something slower for tomahawks/thumbers. Also, I learned a new technique for using overstable discs, so I'm interested in using my Notch for those.

Finally got myself a tester Arch and production Valley. The Arch is very similar to an Eagle in my opinion, and I LOVE the Eagle. I threw them side by side in a field and got pretty consistent, similar results.

They Valley surprised me, though. Seems to be a lot more resistant to high speed turn that I would have expected. I feel like I need to throw it more to get a better feel for it, but for me it seems pretty darn straight all the way, with a little fade on the end. Maybe even Teebird like. But I'm not really a Teebird thrower so I'm probably not the best person to make that comparison.

Threw my brother's Notch a few times as well, and that one was definitely pretty beefy. I think a little more glide and a little straighter than a Firebird, but very beefy.

Valley has been a good disc for me. It's straighter than the Trak, but the Trak is still good when I want some fade to the left, either on a straight or hyzer-line. Put a little anny on the Valley, and it'll hold that line for its flight. Very different than the Trak. The Valley doesn't overlap as much with the Trak the way the Ascent does, so that's a plus.

Notch is going to be a good disc... as far as I know, not many speed 7s can hang with the firebird in terms of stability.

I'm not sure what i like in the vibram fairway line up.

Arch: starts out dead straight but can be flippy with enough power. threw hole 10 at Boone Woods park in kentucky. overthrew the basket by 25 feet. Has amazing glide with good power.

Valley- a very controllable driver. Out of the box is stable and will not hyzer flip. get it a little bit beat in and it will start to flip.

Trak- dont throw the trak very often. Goes dead straight will fade at the end.

Ascent- my go to fairway driver, it is stable and will always fade at the end. Threw hole 7 at boone woods with the ascent and put it within 10 feet. 334 feet uphill.

Where are you guys learning all these things with Vibram. Their own website lists nothing. Nothing about Granite, the Valley, upcoming discs of Notch and Arch coming out. Nothing about the discontinuation of the Trak and Ascent.

I felt like grabbing my all Vibram bag and finding holes to fill in it, and have no clue what I even want.

Currently have
173 M Summit
174 F Summit
173 M Ridge
175 M VP

175 M Ibex
177 M Obex

165 M Trak
165 M Ascent
167 M unLace
166 M Lace

All of these discs were purchased shortly after they released to retailers whenever they came out. Only thing I was late on purchasing was the firm Summit. Based off that, what new discs do I need to buy to cover the stability gaps with weights? Was I wrong reading that lighter Soft unLaces are more stable than others and can gap my current unLace and Lace? My unLace is a flippy pos but bombs as long as I never want it to come back, and my Lace is a meathook even on anny shots.

My trak and ascent fly the exact same (I max around 280ish for both of these last I threw them) I would love to hit the actual flight patterns across stabilities with the molds instead of the exact same disc.

My ibex and obex are perfect I'd say. Exactly what I want out of a 2 mold Midrange lineup. Thank god they don't break in.

Where are you guys learning all these things with Vibram. Their own website lists nothing. Nothing about Granite, the Valley, upcoming discs of Notch and Arch coming out. Nothing about the discontinuation of the Trak and Ascent.

I felt like grabbing my all Vibram bag and finding holes to fill in it, and have no clue what I even want.

Currently have
173 M Summit
174 F Summit
173 M Ridge
175 M VP

175 M Ibex
177 M Obex

165 M Trak
165 M Ascent
167 M unLace
166 M Lace

All of these discs were purchased shortly after they released to retailers whenever they came out. Only thing I was late on purchasing was the firm Summit. Based off that, what new discs do I need to buy to cover the stability gaps with weights? Was I wrong reading that lighter Soft unLaces are more stable than others and can gap my current unLace and Lace? My unLace is a flippy pos but bombs as long as I never want it to come back, and my Lace is a meathook even on anny shots.

My trak and ascent fly the exact same (I max around 280ish for both of these last I threw them) I would love to hit the actual flight patterns across stabilities with the molds instead of the exact same disc.

My ibex and obex are perfect I'd say. Exactly what I want out of a 2 mold Midrange lineup. Thank god they don't break in.

If you are maxing at 280 with the Trak / Ascent, then you aren't getting them up to speed and you won't see much difference in flight with any of the Vibram drivers (with the exception of the unLace). Probably not the answer you are looking for but you should be able to make some simple tweaks to your form and get those fairways out past 300 feet on a consistent basis. Then re-evaluate the discs you have before buying anything else.

If you are maxing at 280 with the Trak / Ascent, then you aren't getting them up to speed and you won't see much difference in flight with any of the Vibram drivers (with the exception of the unLace). Probably not the answer you are looking for but you should be able to make some simple tweaks to your form and get those fairways out past 300 feet on a consistent basis. Then re-evaluate the discs you have before buying anything else.

FWIW, I'm well over 300 with my leopard/teebird combo.

You should try the Valley, I find it most similar to the Teebird. The Arch is probably coming out officially in September, and in my opinion is most like the Eagle. I LOVE the Arch and highly recommend it, but it's only available to testers right now. (I'm not a tester but I was able to get one from a tester)

I see this deal on the Vibram website, anyone think it is a good deal?

http://us.vibram.com/shop/disc-golf/vdg-3-pack-beginner-kit/847100046992.html#start=1

Any Vibram throwers give any pro's/cons?

Prices are definitely lower than full stock price, so that's good. If you're just starting out though, the Lace probably isn't your best option. You'd be better off going with a Valley or a Trak as your driver.

The Ibex and Ridge are both fantastic options, though. Very straight fliers.

So here goes animange.

Firm is the "flippiest" of the compounds. Medium falls in the middle and soft is the most stable. With Vibram you can carry the same mold (as I do with the Lace and unLace) but switch up the weight and rubber compounds to get those small changes you want.

I carry a 164M Lace, 173F Lace and 173S Lace. Also carry a first run 166M unLace (first runs were the most US), 167M unLace and 174F unLace. Depending on how much turn and fade I want I just change them out for the throws. It works wonders for me but I've done A LOT of field work to get each disc to do what I want it to do.

I also throw Ridges for my putt and approach. I have a 173F Ridge (that is pre-PDGA and is rock hard), 173M new granite for putting duties and a 173M that is beat in for my anhyzer throws.

That's strange that you aren't getting the Ascent/Trak past 280 if you are getting 300+ out of the Leopard/Teebird. You should have no problem getting the Lace up to speed. Maybe you have a freakishly overstable Lace.

If you ever make it up my way (I live in Washington County), send me a PM and you can try out some of the discs from my Vibram stash. I have a variety of Laces and OLaces in different weights plus the tester Notch/Arch/Valley fairways.

I see this deal on the Vibram website, anyone think it is a good deal?

http://us.vibram.com/shop/disc-golf/vdg-3-pack-beginner-kit/847100046992.html#start=1

Any Vibram throwers give any pro's/cons?

Prices are definitely lower than full stock price, so that's good. If you're just starting out though, the Lace probably isn't your best option. You'd be better off going with a Valley or a Trak as your driver.

The Ibex and Ridge are both fantastic options, though. Very straight fliers.

$18 per a disc plus shipping doesn't seem like a very good deal at all. Disc golf center charges $16.99 with free shipping (on sale for $14.99 a few weeks ago) and they have a good variety to choose from. $15.99 for Vibram at a retail shop in my area.

$18 per a disc plus shipping doesn't seem like a very good deal at all. Disc golf center charges $16.99 with free shipping (on sale for $14.99 a few weeks ago) and they have a good variety to choose from. $15.99 for Vibram at a retail shop in my area.

I am gonna check the local (and in my case the SoCal) distributors then and see if I can pick them up cheaper.

I am a little suprised at how slow vibram is at releasing new molds. I thought with the maple hill open and VBBW being over they would have the notch and the arch on full production. As well as having the onyx coming out a little bit later. Seems like float rubber was more important than getting out new molds.

But i understand that if they want to have it perfect for when they do come out. I know that Vibram is all about quality.

I actually just purchased a valley prototype at a tourney today on long Island. It was auctioned by a gentlemen there from NEFA. I was wondering if this is sought after. I bought it mainly to raise the money for the cause,so I was wondering if it would be better to maybe sell it to someone that would like to throw it. For me it would just sit in a draw.