• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Yeah, my game has been off lately, so I'm thinking about going back to my Nutsac. Think I'm going to go the Garu bag route and go VP, Ibex, Trak, Ascent. Or throw in Summit and Obex and go back to the Couplet 'Sac loadout I was rocking for a long time. I shouldnt be throwing high speed drivers anyways and not having a cornucopia of discs to pick from sure wouldn't hurt. Hell, I might as well rebuild my throw from the ground up while I'm at it.

Played in a local club mini with my Couplet 'Sac today. Shot much better than I have been (won my money back and jumped up 9 tags). Having less discs to choose from definitely helps focus on just getting up there and throwing well. And after today's round and seeing what I threw, I think I would be fine just carrying VP, Ibex, Ascent. Maybe throw in a 4th specialty disc depending on the type of course I'm playing or weather conditions.

Played in a local club mini with my Couplet 'Sac today. Shot much better than I have been (won my money back and jumped up 9 tags). Having less discs to choose from definitely helps focus on just getting up there and throwing well. And after today's round and seeing what I threw, I think I would be fine just carrying VP, Ibex, Ascent. Maybe throw in a 4th specialty disc depending on the type of course I'm playing or weather conditions.
Nice! Simplicity FTW! Part of the whole "too many discs" thing is players tend to blame the disc for a bad throw rather than themselves. How many times have we all heard someone suggest their Champ/Z/Opto/etc. "whatever disc" that they've owned for all of a month or two must be getting beat in after a crappy drive? ;) I know I've been guilty of this in the past! I'd like to think I know better now.

I played a quick 9-hole lunchtime round and did okay. I keep skying the Ibex and I'm not really sure why. My errant throws today were because of that tendency. I'm hoping to figure it out if I get in a round after work. I gelled with the Ridge and Trak pretty much immediately, but I'm struggling with the Ibex thus far.

Quick question that maybe you can help me with. I have, what I am assuming are two early run/proto Obex. They neither one say Obex on the front...just the vibram stamp. They are the only obex I have so I don't have others to compare them to stability wise. Is there any stability difference in these and regular production obex?

Quick question that maybe you can help me with. I have, what I am assuming are two early run/proto Obex. They neither one say Obex on the front...just the vibram stamp. They are the only obex I have so I don't have others to compare them to stability wise. Is there any stability difference in these and regular production obex?

As far as I know, no changes were made to the Proto Obex before it went into production. So any Obex you get off the shelf should fly very similar to the protos you have.

Can't wait for August 9th! I'll be playing in the Vibram Open Am side, August 9th-11th 2013. I'm super excited about playing Maple Hill and having the chance to play in one of the best Am tourney of the year. I'm practicing a lot to increase my chance of playing on Sunday, Maple Hill Gold!

Maple Hill Whites: Par 58 Distance: 6113'

Maple Hill Golds: Par 60 Distance: 8215'

Only a 2 stroke difference...thats insane! But I understand the difference skill level in players, but 1 stroke per 1000' ha is a little crazy

Hopefully the guys from Vibram will have the unLace ready for us. I'm just hoping for one, I would imagine they would have limited runs if the unLace is ready. But last thing I read about the unLace and the Vibram Open was that the disc would not be ready before the Open...oh well, I like the white/red discs they have this year.

If anyone knows more about the unLace, I'd like to hear what you have to say.

I'm headed up there with a full (16 disc), all Vibram rubber, double Nutsac, It holds 15 for me, but I'm bringing one more because I'll always have one in play. Just helps me have max amount of disc, and I'll need them due to the water at Maple Hill.

I'm also helping to promote Nutsac on the course by wearing their gear. Nutsac Disc Golf Bags are one of the sponsors for the Vibram Open Am side, and I have had the privilege to work with Nutsac in creating my own personalized shirt, which I'll be wearing to promote for the Vibram Open Am side. They also gave me a hat =)

Front: http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/w...-72db3f209409_zpsed5b5a60.jpg.html?sort=3&o=0

Back: http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/w...7-28at13035PM_zps6fac5c55.png.html?sort=3&o=1

Can't wait to go, this will be a slight disc golf utopia for me. I get to play one of the best courses, meet Steven Dodge (Vibram Disc Golf) and Greg Kise (Nutsac Disc Golf bags), camp out with fellow disc golfers, and taking about break from everyday life to chill out in the woods for 4 days. Sounds to good to be true ha

Any tips on Maple Hill, Webster, or Hyland feel free to share.

Last edited:
I dig the shirt. Tell Greg if he starts making shirts, I'll be first in line!

THANK! :D

I didn't want to do to much with it and ruin it. Simple is best. Maple tree on the back because of Maple Hill disc golf course

Same here though, the hat they sent me is super soft. 100% cotton, but just really soft for a cotton hat.

And I would love to see my t-shirt being sold at the tournament, but I know that has little possibility ha. Still would be awesome

Love love love my Summits!
I've had a softy for for awhile now for those tricky sloped greens and pu*** park shots when I'm trying to hang in for par. :)
My my medium one is where it really shines. I throw RHBH and LHFH depending on the situation and the LHFH anny or turnover has really gotten me some great shots. Love that LH flick with some anny, watch it turn over a bit more than beeline that line right on down. I'm getting better hyzer flipping it too (BH & FH). I think I might switch back to my Ion for putting (left my Ridge in cousin's yard after dark, gave it to him as gift), but if there's not a big headwind or I really need the fade, I am approaching with the Summit.
Perfect for my noodle arm. Actaully played a decent round with just my Tangent/Summit. Not too windy of a day. I found the Tangent glides more and fades more, but is similar, at least for my noodle arm.
I have a 2012 VO Trak that is pretty stable for me. I really like the predictability of it and will likely try a Trak/Summit round soon.

Perhaps another day I will tell about my 148 soft Obex that my bad form turns into crazy flippy thing with some good fade still.

Don't forget to throw your rubber!!!! :D

As far as I know, no changes were made to the Proto Obex before it went into production. So any Obex you get off the shelf should fly very similar to the protos you have.

I talked with my local Vibram pro last year before I went out to Worlds in Charlotte and he mentioned to me that he didn't want to sell me an Obex because he was not sure which version from his stack had been approved and which had not. Just thought I would add a little confusion to the story.

I talked with my local Vibram pro last year before I went out to Worlds in Charlotte and he mentioned to me that he didn't want to sell me an Obex because he was not sure which version from his stack had been approved and which had not. Just thought I would add a little confusion to the story.

Hmm, maybe there were tweaks to the Obex before production then. I just don't remember hearing/reading about any. And an Obex is just an Ibex with the Ridge bead thrown on there, so doesn't seem like there's too much to tweak. However, if Proto Obexes are more overstable somehow, I need to track one down.

I have only thrown a few Obex's and can say with authority that the firms I have thrown seem more OS than a Med of the same weight.

Sadly I still want more separation between Ibex/Obex. They seem to fight over the same slot in my bag, I don't have a preference for one over the other.

Don't think there were any changes to the Obex from the proto to the production. I still have one of my originals, which I still throw. Its out of the bag at the moment, but I would say I noticed no difference in flight.

Also, once a disc is approved it is good to go. It doesn't matter what 'version'. At least that is my understanding.

Don't think there were any changes to the Obex from the proto to the production. I still have one of my originals, which I still throw. Its out of the bag at the moment, but I would say I noticed no difference in flight.

Also, once a disc is approved it is good to go. It doesn't matter what 'version'. At least that is my understanding.

Pretty sure you're right about that. I asked Mr. Dodge about using my tester discs in an upcoming tournament, and said that's perfectly fine

I know there is some reality to this. Minor tweaks are allowed but I think there is also some regulation in there that specifies a certain amount of change needing a new approval.

I only told me story because I ended up getting an Obex at a Pinnacle retailer rather than directly from my local pro because he did not want to be giving me something illegal.

I have only thrown a few Obex's and can say with authority that the firms I have thrown seem more OS than a Med of the same weight.

Sadly I still want more separation between Ibex/Obex. They seem to fight over the same slot in my bag, I don't have a preference for one over the other.

I've yet to throw a firm Obex, so maybe that needs to change (I feel a 178g firm Obex in my very near future).

But as for separation between the Obex and Ibex, I agree. They are stable and neutral, respectively. They have the same separation the Teebird (stable) and TL (neutral have). Both are great discs, but I wish the Obex was closer to a Gator in stability. That being said, I do find enough use out of each disc to bag both.

I've thrown my son's Obex a few times, and it seems to have most the good qualities of the Ibex, but is less prone to unintentional turn overs. I don't know why I don't have one yet.:confused:

Brody- You should def. check out a heavy FObex. Let us know if you see a difference in stability.

PS- if anyone is looking for a Black/Red '12 Vibram Open Summit, new and 173 grams send me a PM. $28 shipped.

Brody- You should def. check out a heavy FObex. Let us know if you see a difference in stability.

Will do.

I always thought that Vibrams didn't vary in stability between X-link materials (and really haven't too much in my experience). But now I hear this and I have a 169g Firm Ascent that (even after months of use) is the most stable Ascent I've thrown, even more stable than a BEEFY 174g Medium I bagged for a long time (until I lost it in Florida!). I know it will change disc to disc, but is Firm usually more stable than Medium?

My firm ridge was slightly more stable than my medium but my VO 12 was the most stable. Also my firm ascent had a much higher plh than my medium, and was a nice straight driver with a meathook fade, sadly I lost the firm and haven't gotten a replacement yet. My firm lace looked identical to my medium but flew slightly less stable, and even more so after some steep hyzer flip shots. My firm summit doesn't seem as stable as a medium but I enjoy the flight a but more, and my VPs seemed identical in flight but I liked the firm more. Firm ibex started out a bit more stable than a medium but I think they're about the same now after some wear. Hope this helps you guys.

Last edited: