• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

Brody- You should def. check out a heavy FObex. Let us know if you see a difference in stability.

PS- if anyone is looking for a Black/Red '12 Vibram Open Summit, new and 173 grams send me a PM. $28 shipped.

Signed?

Durability question, guys.

I just switched to an all-Vibram bag a couple weeks ago. I like to have a four-disc bag...Ridge/Ibex/Trak/Lace. Depending on the shot, I probably throw at 1-6 overhand shots per round with my Trak. I've debated about throwing in my Medium Ascent for the overhands shots to save some beating on my Medium Trak. I figure this would beat some of the stability out the Ascent (it's pretty overstable for me right now). But, I loathe the notion of having a specialty disc (ie- the Ascent only for overhand shots)....I'm a minimalist and don't think specialty discs are necessary at my skill level.

Should I worry about the Trak getting beat up?

With the overhands I would say so, but then again all my vibrams only dropped in stability once and haven't changed since. You're probably safe with it but I'm not sure how far you throw the trak. my buddies broke in firm holds some pretty right turns that glide for days but don't fade back unless I throw high or is a fairly high up downhill shot. I only threw it once but it went about 400' downhill maybe 100' in the air hyzer flip to flat.

I only throw about 275-300 with the Trak. With a nice, flat throw, I'll get a little turn and a decent amount of fade. If I sky it even a little there's no turn at all. I'm starting to think I actually want it beat in more for more turn and more distance.

Durability question, guys.

I just switched to an all-Vibram bag a couple weeks ago. I like to have a four-disc bag...Ridge/Ibex/Trak/Lace. Depending on the shot, I probably throw at 1-6 overhand shots per round with my Trak. I've debated about throwing in my Medium Ascent for the overhands shots to save some beating on my Medium Trak. I figure this would beat some of the stability out the Ascent (it's pretty overstable for me right now). But, I loathe the notion of having a specialty disc (ie- the Ascent only for overhand shots)....I'm a minimalist and don't think specialty discs are necessary at my skill level.

Should I worry about the Trak getting beat up?

Well overhand shots will "beat up" a disc faster due to the way it hits the ground (basically vertical) so your trak is going to become more understable and flip easier if you keep throwing it overhand. But these disc are durable and can take a lot of abuse.

Basically any disc you throw overhand constantly it will beat in a little quicker. I'm with you on the specialty disc, all my disc are rubber and my bag is a double nutsac, even in a tournament I only my nutsac. I just use a couple of disc, then the rest of my bag is just back-up. No need for 25+ bag in my eyes, unless you are doper worried about water

Well overhand shots will "beat up" a disc faster due to the way it hits the ground (basically vertical) so your trak is going to become more understable and flip easier if you keep throwing it overhand. But these disc are durable and can take a lot of abuse.

Basically any disc you throw overhand constantly it will beat in a little quicker. I'm with you on the specialty disc, all my disc are rubber and my bag is a double nutsac, even in a tournament I only my nutsac. I just use a couple of disc, then the rest of my bag is just back-up. No need for 25+ bag in my eyes, unless you are doper worried about water
Yeah, I knew overhands will beat up a disc, was just curious if the Trak could handle the abuse. Thinking on it more, since I only throw mids and putters in the woods, I guess the overhands the Trak suffers through probably beats it up less than if I threw it in the woods. ;)

I've been playing with a single NutSac as my one and only bag for most of this year. I foolishly bought a Voodoo Mojo, thinking I'd grow into it, but I just don't like lugging something like that around. I just got a double NutSac last week...I love it for carrying the few discs I need plus snacks/rain jacket/etc!

Now for something completely different! I just got a Vibram mini...this thing is super soft and floppy! Is this the same material as the X-Link Soft discs?

Nah, in the first vibram thread Mr. Dodge said it was the same compound as the shoe soles. I love the mini, I can throw it about 200' on an anny before it fades out, so stable
Ahhh...I see. I really dig the flat profile and pliability of it. I prefer to carry my mini in my pocket and this just sort of disappears in it, don't feel it at all.

I know the unLace and oLace are on their way, but have there been any rumors about something in the big speed gap between the Laces and the Trak/Ascent? I'd love to see something in the speed 9/10 range....ie-Saint/Valkyrie/Beast area. Those type of drivers have historically been my best combination of distance and control.

I know the unLace and oLace are on their way, but have there been any rumors about something in the big speed gap between the Laces and the Trak/Ascent? I'd love to see something in the speed 9/10 range....ie-Saint/Valkyrie/Beast area. Those type of drivers have historically been my best combination of distance and control.

I have not heard of anything. And I doubt that speed range is too high on the priority list, especially since the Traks/Ascents are a little faster/wider rimmed than we usually give them credit for.

I have not heard of anything. And I doubt that speed range is too high on the priority list, especially since the Traks/Ascents are a little faster/wider rimmed than we usually give them credit for.
Maybe for some folks....guess it just depends on the individual. Before I made the move to Vibram, I threw my medium Trak and Ascent along with my Champ Teebird and Pro Leopard of similar weights in a field and they pretty much matched up....Ascent=Teebird, Trak=Leopard...with the Vibrams being a little more stable than their Innova counterparts. The Saint, though, outdistanced all of them.

Now that I've bagged the Vibrams for a couple weeks, I'm thinking I'll take the Trak, Lace (kinda flippy, even for me) and Saint out in a field and compare them again....see how they work out now.

I'm mainly just judging their speed based on the disc specifications, specifically rim thickness. Firebird, Saint, Valkyrie, and Predator (4 very popular speed 9s), have the same rim thickness (1.9) as the Trak and Ascent.

I'm mainly just judging their speed based on the disc specifications, specifically rim thickness. Firebird, Saint, Valkyrie, and Predator (4 very popular speed 9s), have the same rim thickness (1.9) as the Trak and Ascent.
Ahh...maybe less glide is the culprit here. Regardless, I'd like to see something between the Vibram fairways and the warp speed Lace line.

Agreed, I think my trak/ascent are pretty quick, I really only use the Lace when I need distance. And I like the fact Vibram doesn't have anything in between the Lace and the Trak, forces me to learn the differences in between the disc. Also thats another disc to buy which means spending more money :doh:

Plus I think Vibram wants a couple more mids and fairway drivers before really focusing on covering all the different speeds. I'm looking forward to Vibrams understable Mid, I love their understable stuff so far (Summit and Trak) so I have high hopes for a disc that fills in that gap. Hopefully I will get a tester disc in soon.

Random: Does anyone know when the next set of disc are supposed to be set out?

A buddy of mine was asking me when I was gonna get some new testers, got me wondering as well.

All this talk about possible disc has me wondering too. But I don't want to bother Steven Dodge about it simply because of the Vibram Open coming up I'm sure he's super busy and I'm sure he gets those e-mails all time, so rather not ask and just be surprised when they come in :D

Still though I would like to know ha