• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I got my first Vibram at the beginning of October. By Thankgsiving my whole bag was all Vibram.

Once i get my lace on monday, i will be all Vibram.

I got my first less than a month ago, and traded bought the rest!

The colors made me try, the consistency and grip have captured me!

Just wanted to post and say that I am falling in love with the Lace all over again. I played in, and won, two club minis the last two days. Those wins owe a lot to the Lace (although probably more to VPs as my putting and approach game has been better than usual lately). I have just been crushing drives lately. Well, I should qualify that by saying my normal max range is about 300'.

But the Lace has been routinely getting to the 325' range, with a few notable tugs probably breaking the 350' mark. It is definitely out of my speed range but it has enough turn to be useable. Thrown with a little bit of hyzer it gets to flat, rides straight, and fades (fairly forward) predictably, consistently being well over 300'. I was stuck at the 275-300' (consistently) plateau for awhile but have been consistently past that for over a week now, so hopefully I'm off that plateau.

So thanks Vibram for making a distance driver that even a noodle-arm like me can throw!

And now that the Lace is clicking for me, I'm really excited for the OS Lace to come out so I have an answer to those stiff Midwest headwinds.

I'm thinking about trying out an Ascent. Is it supposed to be a faster Eagle-X?

What else should I expect from an Ascent?

Last edited:
I have a medium lace I've "tuned" a bit and still has not lost it's stability. I can barely get this sucker to turn, only when I get it up to 400 ft power or more will it flip, my firm looked the exact same even after tuning and is not quite this stable. I'll get the same distance worn the firm but the pull is more hyzer to flat than medium. I never really gave the two mediums I have a chance but since I've lost my firm I think I've found a new use for the heaviest medium.

Last edited:
I'm thinking about trying out an Ascent. Is it supposed to be a faster Eagle-X?

What else should I expect from an Ascent?

Yes, it is a slightly faster, more high speed stable Eagle-X (in my experience). It does have a little less glide, so it flies about the same distance as an Eagle. Does a little better in a headwind thanks to the extra HSS. Also, it skips less in the Medium XLink and will beat in extremely slow.

And one of the greatest perks of the Ascent (IMO) is that it powers down great, and can act as an OS Mid or even a tweener disc between mid and fairway. Very easy to range and has a predictable fast fade.

I highly recommend trying one out! :thmbup:

Played a tournament today (played like crap apart from my drives), and after we finished, I saw that the two guys that took first and second both got Laces with their winnings due to watching me bomb them. Also, there was at least one other that expressed a ton of interest in my Ibexes, and I had another guy tell me that he was really impressed at how the Obex was flying for me on Wednesday at Lincoln Ridge. So, all in all, I believe I managed to turn at least three, possibly more onto Vibram :) :)

Agreed... two of my Vibrams are not acting as "planned" and I'm still trying to get their M.O totally dialed in.

• 165g M-Trak - not seeing the turn, and has more fade than I'd hoped. Currently the "throw it down a hallway" shot still belongs to my TLs
  • 174g. M-Obex - not as (over)stable as I was hoping. (...and I'm no he-man who's simply overpowering it!) For now, the Pain still owns the OS-ish mid shot based on glide.

I just picked up a Trak and I am also not seeing any Turn. It might be the thrower, but I get plenty of turn out of my Mamba and a bit out of my Buzzz and Ascents. Of the two Ascents I have, I think the medium one is more overstable than my firm one.

I've thrown two Obex (one medium and one firm) and they both seemed consistently overstable and both flew how I'd expect. Still looking for an Ibex worth spending the money on :)

Will the Trak get more or less stable as it gets broken in?

My firm Trak has developed a little turn, I have been using it as my primary driver for a few months. Not sure that Med would break in that quick. With a little turn my firm trak flies a lot like an eagle L for me, maybe just a tad less fade. I throw Traks about 330' (measured on a LX field, not internet distance =D).

Both my Traks (firm is 162g, med is 174) are domey. The med is straight to 330 with a little more fade. Not really a wind fighter though.

I would expect your trak to break in to be a little less stable, but if it is Med it may take a while.

You want a flatter Trak to get one more understable from what I hear.

I do believe Dana said the firm Obex's were more stable but I only have a Med (soon to be remedied) so I cant compare.

I would also like to find one of these flat Traks, my firm is a lot straighter than I would have hoped as well.

Welp I got my newer heavier firm ascent back from my old man, had to con em with a lightweight firm lace. How long did it take for your stable trak to get flippy? I'm kind of impatient, really I just have a slot to fill right now.

I have been throwing my Trak for a little over a year now I think. It was flippy at lower altitudes within a few months. Here at high altitude it has taken about a year. I three my Trak today and watched it flip just how I wanted it too. Still a very straight driver and it will be my go to when I need something straight with a little hyzer flip.

Played a tournament today (played like crap apart from my drives), and after we finished, I saw that the two guys that took first and second both got Laces with their winnings due to watching me bomb them. Also, there was at least one other that expressed a ton of interest in my Ibexes, and I had another guy tell me that he was really impressed at how the Obex was flying for me on Wednesday at Lincoln Ridge. So, all in all, I believe I managed to turn at least three, possibly more onto Vibram :) :)

Woot! Go Street Team!

I have been throwing my Trak for a little over a year now I think. It was flippy at lower altitudes within a few months. Here at high altitude it has taken about a year. I three my Trak today and watched it flip just how I wanted it too. Still a very straight driver and it will be my go to when I need something straight with a little hyzer flip.

I'm in pretty low altitude Memphis/north MS. I get the flight your describing with my medium ascent from about 320-365(hole length distances). The domey medium trak reacted very similar to this. I was hoping it would finish right every time but at least enough to make a nice "S" shot. I flattened it but haven't made it to the course in a few days.

Last edited:
Just took second place in my local Birdie Bash. My friend scored 55 and I bagged a 53. He surprisingly opted for the five fingers. My ridge was straight cash for me all Day, hit an ace on the last hole of the first round with it. Hit two eagles on par fours teeing off with the Obex. Had an awesome day and got some awesome discs, can't wait to start fondling some protos!

^ Congrats!

Sadly I don't think I'll be able to do the BB, just had some minor surgery done on my hand and am out a couple of weeks. Gonna have to wait for next year to make a run at tester status.

My BB was in snow/sleet and ice conditions. Scored a 16.

Congrats Johnson!

Weight of the Lace

In regards to the discussion of the stability of the Lace, I find that the heavier the disc the more stable the flight - but only in the mediums, can't speak to the firms.

When I first started with the Lace I had a 159, and it helped me learn how to throw perfectly flat. After I began to turn it over I moved to a 164, and right now I can throw it around 330' - 350' almost dead straight (like a little room on the left side early in the flight to get the best, tight S). But I still can't throw a 173: it just performs a short hyzer death - no glide at all.

For me, the Lace does best when thrown flat. When the 159 started to turn and burn I was unable to make it hyzer flip - I would love that in a Vibram driver.

I recommend throwing all Vibram discs as flat as possible. If it fades too early, weight down; if it flips too much, weight up. Then again, I'm almost 50 and don't have a big arm.

In regards to the discussion of the stability of the Lace, I find that the heavier the disc the more stable the flight - but only in the mediums, can't speak to the firms.

When I first started with the Lace I had a 159, and it helped me learn how to throw perfectly flat. After I began to turn it over I moved to a 164, and right now I can throw it around 330' - 350' almost dead straight (like a little room on the left side early in the flight to get the best, tight S). But I still can't throw a 173: it just performs a short hyzer death - no glide at all.

For me, the Lace does best when thrown flat. When the 159 started to turn and burn I was unable to make it hyzer flip - I would love that in a Vibram driver.

I recommend throwing all Vibram discs as flat as possible. If it fades too early, weight down; if it flips too much, weight up. Then again, I'm almost 50 and don't have a big arm.

I think you speak perfectly to one of the key things that will make Vibram the best disc manufacturer on the market. All their discs will work for every ability level. I know some guys over 50 who can kick my butt, but I also know a lot of people who do not have the distance I have and can still make the Vibram discs work.

I also think your assessment of the affect weight has on stability is true for at least the Laces. I have not seen much difference in the other molds to this point. Then again it really isn't fair of me to judge a brand new Vibram against one I have had for a couple of years now I think. Which is really the only comparison I can make in other molds to this point.

I did decide this off season to slowly move towards lighter discs. I have found that my sweet spot is the 167g to 169g range. Slowly but surely my bag will go towards this but I cannot take out a Vibram disc that I have trusted for so long at this point so the heavier Ibex and Obex will stay for now.

Close but not quite true... I have thrown the whole array of Lace weights and they are very close in stability across their range. The heavies do tend to be slightly more stable but I believe that is due to a lower launch velocity as a result of the heavier disc. By extension, my 169 flies near identical to my 159. So for me, the reason that I like light discs is so that I don't have to put so much force on my body to throw far.

Latest posts