• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

I used the Ridge for a while as my primary driving putter and it was a pretty great driving putter. Similar to a Wizard, maybe just a touch more stable.

I don't have too much experience with the Obex, but my sense is that it's overstable enough to at least limit its usefulness in a two disc round. For a shorter course I would probably go Obex/Summit or Ibex/Ridge or VP. That way you're pairing an overstable and an understable disc.

I think Obex/Summit would be an awesome pair. Summit is great for shorter turnovers.

Personally, I've always wanted to spend some time with the Ibex, so I can see myself going Ibex/VP for this spring's Birdie Bash.

I personally will be going ibex/summit for Birdie Bash. I can make the ibex do nearly anything and I prefer putting with a US putter.

I'll be going Obex/Ridge. The plan being RHBH for left & RHFH for right on the Obex and use the Ridge for putts and straight driving. The course I will be at for BB is on the shorter side.

I'll be going Obex/Ridge. The plan being RHBH for left & RHFH for right on the Obex and use the Ridge for putts and straight driving. The course I will be at for BB is on the shorter side.
That's what I did the first time, prolly what I'll do the next, or maybe a trak or ascent I do need backups. First course is rather short, second course has some distance to it.

Just grabbed a 157g VP . I'm happy to report that it is every bit as stable as it's max weight counterpart. It's a great OS driving that compliments my 156 g Wizard. Normally I'd try to go with an Evo Wizard, but no dice below 160. Something to keep in mind if your're wanting to drop disc weight, but worried about flipping over everything. Next up are 159 OLaces!!!

I know this is kind of a general question that's hard to answer. But for someone who's pretty new to the game (~6 months) and has never thrown any Vibram, what discs would be reccomended for me to get in my Birdie Bash players package?

Summit and Ibex. As a newer played (like myself), you probably haven't balanced high arm speed with control (or in my case, I'm just old with abad knee so arm speed will never be my strength in DG). These discs will be forgiving and fly straight without you feeling the need to rip your arm out of the socket.

My $.02

Do you have to pick discs in advance for the Birdie Bash? Or can you arrive extra early, check the wind conditions and have a chance to eyeball the swirly goodness of the wares to help make your pick?

Do you have to pick discs in advance for the Birdie Bash? Or can you arrive extra early, check the wind conditions and have a chance to eyeball the swirly goodness of the wares to help make your pick?

When you register online for the event you choose your discs. Maybe what the above is correct, too?

When you register online for the event you choose your discs. Maybe what the above is correct, too?

The discs you choose when signing up to play are the ones to use. However, I don't see why you couldn't swap them with another player who has something different, or if the TD has extras. But during the event the discs must be the brand new ones to keep the play fair.

Unfortunately for myself, I did not have the ability to purchase extra packs. So hopefully if the players don't like their discs, people will be willing to trade.
*edit* also, due to the absence of extra packs I'm restricted to pre registered only.

I'm excited to run/play my first birdie bash on March 1st. Being that I already own a bit of Vibram, I'm going with the O-lace/Sole to finish off me set. I already own all the other putters and bag them so the Sole will be a nice addition. The O-lace should work well considering I forehand 50% of the time off the tee and 75% of the time for upshots.

So much talk about the Birdie Bashes makes me sad that I cannot attend my local one this year. No worries though, I will still be throwing a lot of Vibram discs at the time, just not at the Birdie Bash.

A question for Dana, if he isn't too busy preparing for The Memorial, or any other Vibram Team Member who might read this. How frequently are you cycling through Vibram's Max D Drivers?

Only if your TD gets extras to exchange. If I'm mistaken please correct me.

Since Vibram has created such a great online pre-registration system, I do not forsee TD's ordering many extra sets. I would not count on being able to exchange the morning of.

Vibram has added a new cool feature this year. You can add a single disc to your players pack for $10. Using this, you can register for two drivers, one for wind, and one for no wind. Then when you get there you can check the wind and decide which one to use. Note, even though you can order up to three discs, you can only use two for the actual Birdie Bash.

Also new this year, Vibram will be pre-sorting the packs to ease the burden on the TD's. Saves the TD time and gives the players exactly what they ordered. However, it does take away the players ability to sort through the colors and pick which on they want (as a TD this is nice because it will speed up the morning check-in).

Thanks for the tip JRW - I'd like to go Ibex Ridge, but I'd also like another slightly heavier Unlace. Sounds like i can have it all now!

I have not played much as far as organized events go over the last few years. I had to play a birdie bash. Sounds like a more competitive ace race. The course I am playing at (less than a week away) is longer and susceptible to wind but I picked a trak and a sole anyway. I was tempted to go with the ascent (for better wind) but I didn't love the couple throws I had on one years ago when it came out. But the wind and open course (spike hyzer everything) makes me think it may have been the best choice. All in all i may be less competitive with the less stable disc, I will surely have more fun. I kind of wanted to go with the ibex because stable/understable mids are my bread and butter, but the course is pretty long.

How do you all think the trak is going to compare to my trusty esp cyclones?

If its heavy(~175) and domey it should be quite stable off the tee, or straight I should say. Keep it low and you should be fine, if you see it turning more in the wind but seems to be usable see about giving it just a tad bit more height to work with. If all else fails just slow down your throw and it should act more stable.