• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Vibram] Vibram Disc Golf Thread (Part II)

How do you all think the trak is going to compare to my trusty esp cyclones?

The Trak is going to be way straighter. It's been a while since I've thrown a Cyclone, so I can't remember how the HSSs compare, but a Cyclone would have to be pretty beat to not have more fade than the Trak.

I guess I went with Ascent/Sole. Kind of wished I went with VP, because I've been knocking 'em down with the VP this winter. I also ordered an extra Lace, because I have a tendency to lose them (would like to keep one in my bag for this summer).

Just signed up for my first Birdie Bash event. I ended up going with Ascent/Summit. I have two Ascents in my bag so a third sounded lovely and I've never used a Summit so it sounded like a good time.

Looking forward to it!

Just signed up for my first Birdie Bash event. I ended up going with Ascent/Summit. I have two Ascents in my bag so a third sounded lovely and I've never used a Summit so it sounded like a good time.

Looking forward to it!

Personally a fresh summit is my favorite of the 3 flat tops. I am torn between trak/ibex and or.trak/summit.

Personally a fresh summit is my favorite of the 3 flat tops. I am torn between trak/ibex and or.trak/summit.

One must be a putter....

I went with a Trak/Summit and got an Ibex for a spare. I'll look at the course (never been there before) and decide between the Trak and the Ibex then.

One must be a putter....

I went with a Trak/Summit and got an Ibex for a spare. I'll look at the course (never been there before) and decide between the Trak and the Ibex then.

Didn't know that, guess I haven't looked at the registration hard enough. I will have to look at the local course a bit harder as well.

Quick question for you guys. I bought my first virbram disc last year. I bought the unlace in the x firm. It's a great disc, so I was gonna order some more discs. Specifically the lace. What are the positives and negatives of the x firm and the regular? Or is it more just a matter of opinion. Thanks in advance!

Well xlink firm is contains more plastic less rubber. It will break in quicker, but is closer in feel to plastic. A good cycling material.

Xlink medium has more rubber, is grippier and is slowww to break in. Some people think mediums are too flimsy in hot weather.

If you are already bagging a unlace I would say get the lace in medium. If you like to cycle discs go firm.

Yeah I would. Say get a firm lace you can beat the tar out of and a medium. You can also try a medium unlace in a heavier weight.

Didn't know that, guess I haven't looked at the registration hard enough. I will have to look at the local course a bit harder as well.

Yeah, it's a putter/something else (mid/fairway/driver) deal. An extra disc is $10 so I went ahead and got one so I can look at the course conditions and have an extra backup for my regular bag.

Quick question for you guys. I bought my first virbram disc last year. I bought the unlace in the x firm. It's a great disc, so I was gonna order some more discs. Specifically the lace. What are the positives and negatives of the x firm and the regular? Or is it more just a matter of opinion. Thanks in advance!

I second the fact that Firms beat in faster than Medium (which beats in hella slow, slower than any plastic I've come across).

Also, in my experience, Firm Laces start out a bit more overstable than their Medium counterparts.

Also, Laces vary quite a bit according to their weight, more so than most other discs I've thrown. 170s Laces fly stable for me, with little turn and a reliable fade, at 350'-375' of power. Mid-160s have much more turn and hold an anny for a very long time for me, though without flipping except where wind is involved, and are generally much more shapeable for me and give easier distance. The 161 I had was way too understable for me to use with any reliability, so I sold it.

I think it's an awesome versatile disc, and I love how it varies according to weight. My mid 160s Lace is my go-to distance driver, with the 170s being great back ups for windy days. It's a great disc, and the first distance driver that I've really clicked with.

I guess I went with Ascent/Sole. Kind of wished I went with VP, because I've been knocking 'em down with the VP this winter. I also ordered an extra Lace, because I have a tendency to lose them (would like to keep one in my bag for this summer).

You should be able to log back in and edit your discs. If not email the TD and let them know you would like to change your disc selection. This options supposed to be something new this year.

You should be able to log back in and edit your discs. If not email the TD and let them know you would like to change your disc selection. This options supposed to be something new this year.

I'm going to be fine with the Sole. The VP has been hot this winter, but recently I've been putting better with the Sole, so I should be fine.

If you're talking about the VBB at Quail Ridge on May 3rd, Geo, I can give you the lowdown on it. In general, it'll be shortest placements possible. There are probably only a couple holes (4 and 18) which will be any longer than 250ish ft, so whatever you need for that distance as your non-putter, I'd go with that.

If you're talking about the VBB at Quail Ridge on May 3rd, Geo, I can give you the lowdown on it. In general, it'll be shortest placements possible. There are probably only a couple holes (4 and 18) which will be any longer than 250ish ft, so whatever you need for that distance as your non-putter, I'd go with that.

Glad you got that going, locally. Still disappointed that I couldn't get enough umph behind me from the course people I was going to use, but hey. Better one locally than none.

Sounds like it will be Ibex/Summit for me.

My medium Summit has some roll/warp to it. Anybody have a fairly permanent fix to this? Hot water trick? Microwave? ???

My soft got warped and a minute (I think) returned it to normal. The original thread had Steve say something about it but good luck finding it.

If a minute sounds like too much try 30 sec to start.

My soft got warped and a minute (I think) returned it to normal. The original thread had Steve say something about it but good luck finding it.

If a minute sounds like too much try 30 sec to start.

I found it. 30 seconds was the consensus. I'm going to try the hot water trick first.

Follow-up query: How do sunken top Summits putt? :popcorn:

My soft is REALLY puddle topped. Putts and flys pretty close to my Mediums still, may lack some glide now but I don't really throw that one off the tee much outside of below freezing weather. Made a sweet 70 footer or so at the Vegas GCC a few weeks ago with it.

If the thread said 30 sec that is what I used. No funny smell or anything and a lot less trouble than hot water, I would suggest skipping it and going straight to the micro.

As a side note my only summit that hasn't developed a sunken top to some degree is my glow. A little more stable and has a measurable dome, probably the height of a dime or quarter (measurable but very tiny). Also = $$$$$$. Should have bought more =(