• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

15 times champion

SonicGuy

Banned
So why don't we consider Ken Climo the 15x world champion? We count the women's protected division as a world championship, why not masters?

I'm ready for a 15x KC teebird.

So why don't we consider Ken Climo the 15x world champion? We count the women's protected division as a world championship, why not masters?

Probably because it's a slippery slope... if you count Masters, do you also count GMs, Legends, etc? There are plenty of people who are world champions many times over in age-protected divisions who will never have their name on a disc.

WPO is an easier line to draw. Virtually every sport has separate divisions for men and women, and there's a longstanding tradition of honoring the highest performing individuals of each gender.

I am pretty sure I have heard KC call himself a 12xchamp.....

FPO is Open.

Open to only a demographic subset. Same with masters and juniors.

Probably because it's a slippery slope... if you count Masters, do you also count GMs, Legends, etc? There are plenty of people who are world champions many times over in age-protected divisions who will never have their name on a disc.

WPO is an easier line to draw. Virtually every sport has separate divisions for men and women, and there's a longstanding tradition of honoring the highest performing individuals of each gender.

Whether each person deserves their name on a disc isn't the point, Climo already has his name on many discs. Right now he is being shorted by 3 championships on his record.

Saying that we historically exclude age protected championships is agism. At one point we historically excluded women from voting, was that a good argument?

The way I see it we have gender protected divisions to match up women with their physiological peers. We honor the champions because they are the best among that physiological peer group. We have masters divisions for the exact same purpose, yet we do not honor their championships with the same vigor. What gives?

Why does masters start at 40? We could have an open division for 30, 31, 32, ..., 120. We could have weight classes or classes for arm span (probably more relevant).

Recognize that all of these divisions are arbitrary to some extent. Then it becomes a bit more murky why/when some deserve the title of "world champion".

EDIT: I'm totally cool with a new batch of 15x KC Aviars tho

We're not even sure what defines a man versus woman any more.

Chuck, can I register in a female division if that's the gender group I identify with? ;)

*wants people to wonder what that winkie smiley is really all about....*

Climo already has his name on many discs. Right now he is being shorted by 3 championships on his record.

i can't remember where i read it, but climo himself said he doesn't want master's titles added onto his number. also, he calls himself a 12x world champion, not 15.

Interesting thread, even with the trolling, as I had been a bit curious about the 12 vs. the 15 X myself. If the Champ says he doesn't count the Masters titles, that answers it for me.

Open to only a demographic subset. Same with masters and juniors.

Whether each person deserves their name on a disc isn't the point, Climo already has his name on many discs. Right now he is being shorted by 3 championships on his record.

Saying that we historically exclude age protected championships is agism. At one point we historically excluded women from voting, was that a good argument?

The way I see it we have gender protected divisions to match up women with their physiological peers. We honor the champions because they are the best among that physiological peer group. We have masters divisions for the exact same purpose, yet we do not honor their championships with the same vigor. What gives?

Except in the case of all the age protected divisions, players can also play in the lower aged divisions. For example, one of their reasons for splitting worlds was so guys like Climo, Schultz, McCray, Brown etc could play both Open Worlds and Masters Worlds. For FPO v MPO, they're both the most competitive of the respective gender's divisions. Yes, the ladies can play in the Men's pro open, but to me that's beside the point. The main idea is recognizing the players who have won Worlds at the top of their respective possible divisions.

Latest posts