• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2011 Minnesota Majestic?

strattick

Does anyone know if (and when) there will be a 2011 Minnesota Majestic Disc Golf Tournament?

6/17-19 - Minnesota Majestic (A)
Tournament Director: Timmy Gill 612-281-3192
PDGA A-Tier
When Fri Jun 17 – Sun Jun 19, 2011
Where Blue Ribbon Pines, Kaposia, & Hyland Hills

The Majestic was the first big event I played. Was involved in helping run the event other years. Great event and great memories.

I was organizing some old discs I have stored in Rubbermaids this weekend and came across three old Majestic stamped premium discs.

Attachments

• 100_7837.jpg
    100_7837.jpg
    150 KB · Views: 33
Thanks Chuck, I always like to get up to the Twin Cities for this tournament. This will help me plan my summer trip.

Apparently, Timmy sent the sanctioning forms on Friday so we should see it on the PDGA schedule in a week or so.

Nice courses.... but the Hyland Hills confuses me a bit

It is very long, and rather difficult... but compared to the other two? doesn't quite seem to fit in. Would think Bryant Lake

Or is that more of an am course?

I have yet to play Hyland, it was closed by the time we decided we wanted to give it a try last fall. Bryant would be a good course to play, but I feel there aren't enough skill requiring holes there.

Hyland is actually the easiest by 2-3 throws of the three courses which are set as 27 hole layouts for the Majestic. It's used because it's one of the best venues in the coutnry for a pro final round and Final 9 with the ski chalet, beer sales (main sponsor), easy viewing of play on the hillsides for spectators and just all around fine facilities like one would expect at a basic ball golf country club.

If you'd like to see the Final 9 of the 2009 Majestic at Hyland, check out this 7-minute video I prepared:

http://picasaweb.google.com/cgkdisc/MyVideos#5350381022340776482

Nice courses.... but the Hyland Hills confuses me a bit

It is very long, and rather difficult... but compared to the other two? doesn't quite seem to fit in. Would think Bryant Lake

Or is that more of an am course?

Westside players pretty much have Bryant Lake figured out. Very easy for a pro to shoot 8-12 under because it has very wide alleys. It is a great course, do not get me wrong, but if you are a consistent player, the only challenge that you might face is if it is a windy day. Westside Wednesdays are out there once every three weeks and scores are always very close amongst the competitors.

Hyland on the other hand can be a real monster because of the extreme elevation changes. Add the additional 9 temporary holes to make it an official 27 hole course and this round is just as much about endurance as it is about your actual skill. Holes 14 and 17 become almost pure frustration if you are tired. Two years ago it was 90+ degrees out. Thankfully they stocked free water every third to fourth hole.

I like Hyland for the challenge, especially if I like to punish myself in hopes that one day I will have a decent round there, but I would not play a simple Rec round at Hyland. Bryant, however, only has a few spots that can really punish you if you are just throwing and not really trying too hard.

I am waffling but will probably play the Majestic again this year. The first year I went Intermediate and was competitive. Last year I was forced into Advanced because they really restricted the Intermediate numbers. It was more of a learning experience than having last year; that took a little of the enjoyment out of it because there were plenty of people who played advanced who normally play open in leagues. I do not have a real problem with that but there a few people who do have issues and sometimes I get grouped with them on day two or three.

which courses does INT play? all 3 i hope.

Hyland is definitely the easiest of the 3. elevation/distance is really the only challenges. kaposia has elevation, distance, and tight fairways. BRP has distance, tight fairways, and unique lines. wind is a factor on all three allthough more so on hyland. the only holes at hyland that are truly challenging are the uphill beasts. even rec players can reach most of the long downhills. in combination they are one heck of a test of someones overall skills.

awesome! all three are great. hopefully i can work it out to make the trip there for it.

i dont know much about A tier tournaments... Can you still play if your usually in intermediate divisions? answers would be awesome if this is a yes i might have to go and play some great courses.

Course fees are included in the entry fee. No pre-reg started yet. Must be a PDGA member. Ams of any rating can play up into Advanced although Intermediate is usually offered.

Latest posts