• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

Thats exactly what I called it last night when we were throwing them!

Any chance you have a PD you could put it next to and snap a pic. From the video, it looks taller than the PD. Don't ask how I thought that after seeing a profile shot by itself, but that was the initial impression I had.

The Event is Saturday, 9am.
I ordered a week and a half ago.
In the past, they've always shown up on Tues or Wed.

well, Discraft asked for orders 2 weeks in advance, and you got them 3 days before the event... not sure what the problem is...

Discraft wouldn't allow you to place an order until last Monday...about 4 pm. He said he ordered them a week and a half ago...which was Monday. He's a TD for a large Ace Race and he has a valid point.

In past years, we have recieved the packages on Tuesday or Wednesday or Thursday at the latest. (Let me also say that not one disc hit the airways until Saturday morning.)
Back when we had 30 people, we would just let you pick your discs and hand out the stuff during registration.
With 100 Players Packs, they need to be assembled ahead of time. A lot is happening on Friday and assembling Players Packs is something I have always done ahead of time.
Thankfully, I've got some GREAT volunteers who have given their time to do that tonight.
I'll just breath a huge sigh of relief when all the boxes arrive at the house.

Any chance you have a PD you could put it next to and snap a pic. From the video, it looks taller than the PD. Don't ask how I thought that after seeing a profile shot by itself, but that was the initial impression I had.

If this is a less beefy Avenger/PD, color me excited.

That's right in my wheelhouse.

:thmbup:

So this "beginner friendly" disc is unofficially being compared to an Avenger and PD? What a bummer that is. I don't have the arm for either of those, and I already have forehand and overhand disc slots covered.

I thought it flew a lot like an Eagle. Ran some really nice lines for me. I might play in another one just to get 2 more of the discs for cheap.

Very stable and the Viking comparison is close. Even on the long open shots when we were just airing it out, it was difficult keeping this disc flat. I also took a few throws with a 155-159 and they held lines surprisingly well and could remain flatter longer. Very smooth flyer.

As an ace race disc, it was tough holding short anhyzer lines and next to impossible to hit low line drives on tunnel shots unless you have an incredibly accurate powered up shot. My best shots were when there was a hyzer line open. If I could do it over again, I would have gone after it with the 155s and not the 167s.

It seems like a nice disc when thrown hard holds a smooth slight S line or slightly overstable long fairway backhand hyzer. Completely useless for 140ft shots for a power-thrower of course. Thrown sidearm it really does not want to hyzer back at the end. Looking forward to throwing it out on longer holes!

So they had these in weights under 160? I think I'd like to try a 150's ish Viking/PD type of disc...

Played the Becker Ace Race today. Its was a blast. I got one ace (100+ft) and two metals. Can not thank those guys enough. They do a great job setting up the course.

155-159 was the lightest and 173-174 was the heaviest that I got from Discraft for my Ace Race.

Never been to an Ace Race, but am going to my first on the 11th. How do you/TD's determine what discs each person gets? Is it 1st come, 1st choice, or more of a random you get what you get?:popcorn:

Never been to an Ace Race, but am going to my first on the 11th. How do you/TD's determine what discs each person gets? Is it 1st come, 1st choice, or more of a random you get what you get?:popcorn:

Completely up to the TD, but the one I've been going to the past few years has been first come, first choice.

My Ace Race isn't for another 7 weeks. You guys that are saying it's a less beefy Avenger, would you say it's somewhere in the Nuke/Flash/Surge realm? I'm asking because according to the Discraft flight chart, those three discs aren't as beefy as the Avenger.

Completely up to the TD, but the one I've been going to the past few years has been first come, first choice.

Pretty sure our TD had us choose one light, and one heavy...IIRC. This year should be no different.

After throwing it in the Ace Race today and throwing it in a field after the event. The disc does remind me a lot of an Eagle, but thats going on memory I I haven't thrown an Eagle in a couple of years. Some people have said a PD but I don't think it is quite that fast.

In Discraft terms the Avenger has been mentioned but it again isn't as fast as an Avenger. Really reminds me more of a Tracker but maybe slightly faster.

The plastic is great I threw a lot of thumbers with it today and you would never know. I have several Ti discs but I never abused them the way I did one of my Players Pack discs today and they held up amazing.

The disc does not like to fly straight at lower speeds. This discs flies best when thrown with some snap and speed which makes it a fickle disc for an Ace Race since the holes are short. Handles quite a bit of forehand torque as well and manages to fight its way back over. After the event I can see some people really liking this disc though when they can start to air it out. Not sure I have a place in my bag for it, but it is worth keeping around for a while.