• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

No way. There's always luck involved. The best player could throw lights out but still not get the "luck" he needed to win that day. It's a combination of luck and skill.

Our winners the last couple years have been very good players, with 1 ace and 2 / 3 metals.

If a winner has 5 or 6 aces, that means the course was all <100 footers.
Come out to Raintree for our Ace Race - they're short, but not all <100 ft.
Never hurts to be lucky - it will always play some factor. Hitting a 1-2 aces and some metal can be luck or skill. But hitting 5-6 Aces takes the kind of consistency that goes beyond mere luck.

Guess I'm a graduate of the "more Aces = more fun" school of thought. It's not a sanctioned event, it's much more about having fun than competing. With modified/temp/shorter course, you hear other people banging chains all the time... keeps things fun and the excitement level up - no long stretches of nothingness.

I don't wanna have 50 people throw 36 holes for a total of 10 Aces, where the winner only has a couple, and most people don't even get a metal hit. We proabably avg closer to 10 Aces per card (about 10 people per card) with about 5-6 Aces needed to win.

I guess we'll just agree to disagree, I can live with that. It just reinforces to me that I wanna keep participating in the Ace Race at Raintree. :) Those that want their Ace Race experience to be closer to a true DG experience should probably find one elsewhere... but I already do that about 3 times a week.

I just TD'd my fifth ace race. Definitely in the camp of shorter holes more Aces.

We changed it up this year and had a great time. Due to other issues (way too much to go through here), we had to have a smaller ace race. With the smaller ace race, we elected for a night ace race. With a smaller group, we put everyone on the same card. This let us change the hole lengths as we played, and even let some of the players pick the tee box.

Made it about 1/3 of the way through the thread before I had to just skip the rest and post myself. DG Drama kills me! :doh:

Anyway, I'm planning on hitting the Altoona, PA Race this year. I've played two in the past. Totally stunk it up in 2010 with the Hornet (OS midrange). Then I won the Morgantown, WV Race in 2011 with the Zeppelin (US putter). I had the only ace of the day and three additional metal hits. I don't think that anyone else had more than one metal hit.

Now I'm not bragging at all, here. Believe me, I was surprised to win!!! I was also surprised with the Zeppelin how people kept trying to overpower it and consistently turned it over. I just threw gentle hyzer lines and was consistently close. So I'm looking forward to the driver mold, in order to learn how to adapt to the disc on the fly.

Now the touchy subjects. And these are my opinions only.

It seems that the spirit of the Ace Race is to have fun, playing with BRAND NEW discs. So I would agree that you should only be able to throw plastic purchased at your particular race, that you received in your pack that day. To keep things on the even playing field as best is possible, I think that the standard entry fee should be payed by everyone. Again, that seems like the point of the thing.

And I don't see what's wrong with Discraft wanting to make more money. They aren't forcing anyone to enter their races. They are a business, with the purpose of making money. I have no problem with that. If you don't want to support Discraft, don't buy their discs or participate in their events.

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to the event. I know that I had an excellent time at both events I played before and was bummed that I didn't get to play last year. Have fun, everyone!!!

FYI Scott, the winner at Becker (my kid, humble brag) didn't ace that 33 footer. He got 1 metal there, and got his 3 aces on other longer holes.

FYI Scott, the winner at Becker (my kid, humble brag) didn't ace that 33 footer. He got 1 metal there, and got his 3 aces on other longer holes.

Thanks for the update. When I was talking to him he gave me the impression that he did ace it. Maybe it was just Shawn, the other person who tied for first, that said that was one of his aces.

Played in the first local AR today and it was a lot of fun, which is how it should be. I don't know how it was set up in other years past but today's layout was basically the same as last years. It would be perfect for a midrange. Some shots were awkward with a driver, but a lot were 150-225' and had multiple baskets (like as many as 5 or 6). The only issue I would have about the layout was that some tee areas were too close to the previous basket. A lot of times you really had to wait until the next group was totally done and walking to the next basket before you could throw safely and since everybody started at #1 it made things bunch up. I think since it was such a big event, starting groups at multiple holes might have spread the traffic out a bit more. Small gripe for a lot of fun.

I'm impressed with the disc so far. Hopefully people will start talking about that more than optimal hole design once they get their hands on it. Other than the holes on the course, I've only gotten a few throws in with it, but so far it feels very much like a Ti Teebird. It's stable as hell. No turn and solid fade thrown BH. FH if thrown flat, it's just straight straight straight and then hard right. Thrown back to back with a couple new Champ Teebirds I got that are both 167 - 169 the AR Proto threw basically the same lines, same distance. I got 2 170 - 172g but they had as light as low 160's, I think. I'd like to try one of those lighter ones out. I bet they bomb.

I really like the plastic, as well. Doesn't feel like other Ti plastic that I've held at all. It's way grippier, almost gummy but not quite. Definitely kinda tacky, though, not slick like other Ti discs that I've felt, almost Opto like. I didn't notice until I got it in the sun but the light blue is full of tiny glitter, kinda like colorshift GL, except it doesn't flip/flop, it's just pretty as hell. The pink that I got doesn't have the flakes, but I believe that some (if not all) of the greens did, although they're pretty dark green.

Overall, I think that people are going to be pretty happy with the haul this year.

I like a lot of people enjoy a competitive round or tournament, but I do not take the Ace Race to be that. Seems to me to be a break from that just a chance to run at chains and have fun.

The Ace Race I played this year had some short holes and even double baskets. I really didn't mind. There were 8 year old kids playing with their parents. I have no kids, but I like seeing other peoples kids have fun playing disc golf. Future of the game ya know. If there were no short holes or double baskets those kids would have had no chance and no fun. Ended up the TD had a youth bracket and those kids had a blast.

There was more than enough teeth for the die hard adults too. Every body had fun. It would not have been fun it all the holes were 150+. If 120 people play (like our race) and there are only three aces or less. Well I would not bother coming back.

My crowd used to wander in all tired and bummed out when we had 2-3 aces all day. There was nothing to get excited about. Now we get more like 12 aces all day and people getting excited and energized. The mood of my crowd is 100% better now with a bunch of 50' shots during the round. 50'ers are still not gimmies.

I agree completely. When you're hearing chains and cheering from around the course the whole time, it's so much more fun. Ace races really aren't about us serious tournament players, we can go out and compete in a regular event if we want that kind of experience. Kids and new players are the real target, and we all win if we get a bunch of new players hooked with an event like this. Ashleigh's mom only throws 100', and the fact that she was able to get a metal hit and had a chance on several other holes made her whole day. I saw similar reactions from young kids with similar distance, and to me that was a way more meaningful ace race experience than seeing it be about really testing distance and making sure that only the local advanced and pro players had any chance to win.

So I got a good 45 minutes with these AR Protos in the field last night. I don't know how to post pics, so hopefully somebody else will. I would like to see some profile pics for comparison. So.... I can't tell you the exact specs, but I can give an honest review of how the disc feels and flies. It's impossible to really work out the flight characteristics of a driver during the event, throwing at 200' holes, so I thought some field work was in order.

Full disclosure, I usually throw Teebirds and Avengers as my main drivers. Field distance for me is 350ish with the 'birds, little more with Avengers, and I have a bit less distance FH, around 300' controlled.

First off, the plastic is really nice. Grippier than any other Ti that I've held, not slick at all. The vast majority of the colors that were available were dark, but the light blue and pink that I picked up are pretty bright. Brighter than any other Ti I've seen. They did have a lot of dark colors available, though. Maroon, dark green, and a flat purple/grey that I'd lose in my bag, much less on the course. The blue has colorshift like, tiny tiny pieces of glittery pixie dust. Very pretty in the sun. The pink does not, but I did see greens with the glitter. Held up to the light, they're both pretty swirly, and both are as flat as Iceman's hair in Top Gun.

The wing feels a bit smaller than a Teebird and the disc is more shallow in general. I just picked up a Volt recently and it kind of feels shallow like that. The super flat top surely plays a role in that feel in hand, but also makes it feel like they come out of the hand really fast. The wing is very straight as well, doesn't have the shallow concave curve that a Teebird does. The combination of grip and flat top make these feel really comfy and the wing is just about right to make it feel fast, but controllable.

Flight is quite overstable. After throwing these protos with a bunch of Teebirds at full power, I'll stick to the comparison. New Champ Teebirds fade a little harder, but not by much. Quite highly resistant to turn. Very similar to a slightly worn Star. Healthy fade, just not quite as hard as a new Champ. The AR Proto seems to glide a little better if thrown a little high compared to Champ Teebirds, but I was landing them all within 20-30' of each other pretty consistently. The best lines for me with these was just with a hard, flat release, though. They wanted to ride 10' off the deck straight as a laser 4/5 of the flight.

These things will not flip for me, not in the calm conditions last night anyway. A hyzer release will hyzer all the way to the ground, even at full power. It doesn't really stand up and definitely didn't turn over. Forced anhyzer didn't work well for me at all. The discs fought out too hard and just crashed. They're too overstable at my power level to get anything like that going. A clean, flat release had these things riding a dead straight line until the fade kicked in. Same thing FH. Maybe -0.5 HSS if flicked, but they really just want to ride flat and straight and then give a nice C shaped fade as they slow down. They never dumped out, but the fade was solid and predictable. I'd rate these at about 6.5/6/0/2, brand new obviously, but I'm interested to see how they wear.

So there's my review. I think I will like this disc a lot, although I don't see it kicking the Teebirds out of my bag. I'm just too familiar with them. The beginner friendly driver description is a little misplaced, IMO. They're not terribly forgiving and are pretty overstable for a beginner and they don't power down all that well. At less than 4/5 power or with any nose up they have a tendency to crash out, so factor that in when you're throwing those short holes at your local AR. Oh, and remember to have fun!

Thanks for the detailed reviews. My local ace race is Sunday, I'm looking very forward to it :)

I like a lot of people enjoy a competitive round or tournament, but I do not take the Ace Race to be that. Seems to me to be a break from that just a chance to run at chains and have fun.

The Ace Race I played this year had some short holes and even double baskets. I really didn't mind. There were 8 year old kids playing with their parents. I have no kids, but I like seeing other peoples kids have fun playing disc golf. Future of the game ya know. If there were no short holes or double baskets those kids would have had no chance and no fun. Ended up the TD had a youth bracket and those kids had a blast.

There was more than enough teeth for the die hard adults too. Every body had fun. It would not have been fun it all the holes were 150+. If 120 people play (like our race) and there are only three aces or less. Well I would not bother coming back.

Here's how we acommodate kids!! (For ideas / other TD's)

SH09Ku1l.jpg

New this year! "Kid Tee'z"!!
We'll have at least one Kid Tee for each basket, just little shorties for fun. That way, if you decide to bring your kids with you and they're pint-sized like mine, they'll have fun sniping baskets, too! They can just use one of your discs or just bring any disc / frisbee you want!! Maybe "My Darling" Mark will be big enough to throw by October!!

I love the Ti mini's. I touched a bunch of the ace race discs on my recent visit to the factory. They had a domey look to them and I expected a glidey, understable disc. It's interesting to hear that it has some stability considering which neutral disc they retooled/tweaked to create this disc.

Impact, Glide. XL, Xpress and Cyclone in certain plastics. I think these are the listed neutral Discraft fairway drivers. ???

^^ Look at you, giving clues!! Current model or OOP?

well I didn't intend to be playing a guessing game. I think it may have been mentioned elsewhere that one portion of the mold is an Xpress. I don't know if there is any truth in this. I would begin by checking the diameter and then would compare it to existing specs. I don't know if there are any known specs for Ace Race discs until they are approved.

Just watched a bunch of the videos of this year's Race. You can tell it's nice and stable from the flight patterns seen on film...not really a beginner's type disc. I wonder if it molded up more stable than DC expected?

There are a bunch of events today, so maybe we'll get some more reviews. :thmbup: