• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2013 Discraft Ace Race

We had our AR Sunday and I'm thinking Discraft called them beginner friendly because of the weights? 2/3 of our discs were 170 and below with at least 10 160-163. I didn't see any max weights at all.

We seemed to be on the heavy side. The lightest I saw was my 164, and nearly everyone had a 176. Most here only had 4-6 grams difference between their two discs.

Even with a disc that's not ideal for those shorter lengths, I still like to see the shorter holes. If you make all the holes 150'+ and have several over 200' you make it about the experienced players not about the new players and kids that the ace race is most important for. It's not the end of the world if your ace chances blow way past the basket, you don't have to make the comeback putt. The ace race shouldn't be about the best local players being the only ones with a chance to compete, and that's exactly what happens when you lengthen the course.

:hfive:

The first year I REALLY shortened things up at my AR was with the Zeppelin, and a local open-level player ended up winning, but had something like 6 aces and 4 metals, and the next players behind him had 3 A/3 M, with a LOT of players getting single aces and metal hits all over the place (in previous years our winner had 1 A/1 M...boring!). As a TD, I much prefer to hear the persistent chains and cheers from a super-short layout, even if it means a few people will grumble that it's too short or that they can't really get a feel for the disc 'cause they can't bomb it on a bunch of holes (do that on your own time!). I've learned in the 5 previous years running this that you just won't please everyone, but a majority will have fun...and adding my Ace Revenge event has given people the chance to play the same layout with their own trusty discs and a chance to win a portable basket, so that part amps up the competition while keeping it fun. I'll probably keep everything under 150' this year, and am entertaining the idea of one or two holes between 60'-80'.

I've pushed back my event this year from early/mid September to mid October, and we get some stiff winds here on the Lakeshore at that time of year, so I think the disc will perform well even for beginners (the last time I ran an AR this late was for the Focus, which received less-than-stellar feedback thanks to the wind!).

Oh, and a shameless plug for my Facebook group for Ace Race TDs...share your ideas for what works (or doesn't) for an Ace Race or get ideas for yours!

Ya, I think Dave was setting it up for how ace races have typically set up for in the past. The disc did seem an odd choice. I wasn't expecting overstable-as-heck when I hear "beginner-friendly".

Is the low number of aces/metals typical for these events? One ace seemed kinda low to me, as well as three metal hits. The Cleburne locals fared very poorly (I think we had three metal hits collectively, kinda embarrassing), so I wasn't sure what to think of it. I never really got a handle on the disc, just too darn overstable for me, especially throwing it lightly on the shorter holes.

I ended with one metal hit. My best shots were on the longer holes. I had alot of near misses. I just couldn't figure out how to turn the disc on 50 foot holes around trees. It's shots I make betters runs at with my putter/mids. And I think he set te course perfect for discrafts previous history of disc. This was just a disc that just couldn't manipulate turns and lines in that under 100 foot range.

Also what I meant in previous post about blowing past the basket is there were several holes that were in that 59 foot range and a blow by could easily put you 100 feet into the high rough. Cleburne has one of te most well defined fairway/rough combos I've seen. And to me the only way to keep the disc straight would of been just to strong arm it. One of the guys in my group had alot of luck as it was maxed out for his arm. He chunked every disc like he was trying to knock the basket over. Now he never got it past the 150 mark on the distance but because he had so much power behin his throws he could keep it straight. If I would of done that I would of ended up in the old lake bed or in the ankle high rough every shot. And I consider myself a noodle are as I top out at 280-315 with lightweight blizzard disc on calm days.

We had our AR Sunday and I'm thinking Discraft called them beginner friendly because of the weights? 2/3 of our discs were 170 and below with at least 10 160-163. I didn't see any max weights at all.

We had over a third of the discs either in the 155-159 or 160-163 range. No max weight and like you, only a third or less over 170.

I agree, I hit a perfect spike hyzer almost ace, lol, on hole 4 out there which spit out of the chains. I think it would have stuck at any other course. How did you like the homemade baskets out there?

I thought I would be a fan of the shorter holes, but came closer on the longer ones with this disc.

Am I mistaken, or did Discraft change the hole layout description? I could have sworn it originally said holes would be between 50-250 ft. And now says between 180-250 ft.

We had over a third of the discs either in the 155-159 or 160-163 range. No max weight and like you, only a third or less over 170.

Similar to us up here, lots of light discs. And color-wise most were red, lilac/lavender, or blue.

Someone from our club suggested that people be given 2 throws during each round (throwing both of the discs in your players pack). Has anyone heard of that or done that? I don't think it would add substantially to the time of the event, and would increase the chance of people hitting aces and metal by virtue of doubling their opportunities and because people would likely make an adjustment on their second shot if taken immediately after the first (kind of like how when you miss a putt and then throw another disc from the same spot, it always goes in, even if throwing your driver :))

Someone from our club suggested that people be given 2 throws during each round (throwing both of the discs in your players pack). Has anyone heard of that or done that? I don't think it would add substantially to the time of the event, and would increase the chance of people hitting aces and metal by virtue of doubling their opportunities and because people would likely make an adjustment on their second shot if taken immediately after the first (kind of like how when you miss a putt and then throw another disc from the same spot, it always goes in, even if throwing your driver :))

We have found people prefer 1 round with 2 throws, than 2 rounds with 1 throw. It makes aces more common, and ends the event sooner.

I played in a few ace races where it was both discs for both rounds, so you had 4 chances at every hole. The winners would end up with 4-6 aces and almost everybody had an ace or a metal. I liked it, only a few people complained because they didn't want to have both of their discs be used.

We have found people prefer 1 round with 2 throws, than 2 rounds with 1 throw. It makes aces more common, and ends the event sooner.

I would probably agree with throwing twice on the same hole might increase the odds of getting an Ace. It would be like getting a practice toss in and then dialing in for the second shot.

But I imagine there will be a few vocal people who don't want to throw both of their new discs, mainly so they can resell the disc(s) when the event ends. There will always be people there for fun and others there for a potential future sale of the items they receive in the pack. So these folks won't want to throw both discs, but prefer to use 1 single disc all day long and keep the other in brand new condition.

I would probably agree with throwing twice on the same hole might increase the odds of getting an Ace. It would be like getting a practice toss in and then dialing in for the second shot.

But I imagine there will be a few vocal people who don't want to throw both of their new discs, mainly so they can resell the disc(s) when the event ends. There will always be people there for fun and others there for a potential future sale of the items they receive in the pack. So these folks won't want to throw both discs, but prefer to use 1 single disc all day long and keep the other in brand new condition.

couldn't these people buy 2 sets and resell one? I ordered 4 because I will be out of town.

couldn't these people buy 2 sets and resell one? I ordered 4 because I will be out of town.

It is possible if you plan ahead, as it appears you did. :D

But some folks don't plan so well and the last 3 Ace Race events I have attended have all sold out, so no extras were available. Also, sometimes these folks like to try and win the event and do so by playing in 3-4 different Ace Races to increase their odds. And if possible, using the same 2 discs from their first event for every Ace Race after. Then each new event brings in new player packs they can resell. Gotta love capitalism.

Generally speaking, this is just a small minority of players from my limited experiences attending Ace Races. Most are just there to have fun and try out some new plastic.

It is possible if you plan ahead, as it appears you did. :D

But some folks don't plan so well and the last 3 Ace Race events I have attended have all sold out, so no extras were available. Also, sometimes these folks like to try and win the event and do so by playing in 3-4 different Ace Races to increase their odds. And if possible, using the same 2 discs from their first event for every Ace Race after. Then each new event brings in new player packs they can resell. Gotta love capitalism.

Generally speaking, this is just a small minority of players from my limited experiences attending Ace Races. Most are just there to have fun and try out some new plastic.

Why should a TD care about the folks that are there to get discs to resell or to have a competitive advantage later? IMO the priority on all ace races should be fun, and especially fun for beginners and younger players.

^This. I would have loved to have 2 throws on both rounds when I played.......................

Image Fail

Last edited:
Be careful how you run your Ace Race... you wouldn't want the Fun Police coming down on you. :p

Attachments

• fun_police.jpg
    fun_police.jpg
    26.8 KB · Views: 24
Last edited:
I'm good for anything that increases the chances of each person getting an ace/metal hit. I played in an AR and didn't get a single metal/ace over 40 holes which gets frustrating very quickly. On our card we had 1 ace and no extra metal hits combined over 40 holes