• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2015 Minnesota Majestic

I am by no means an expert on VQ, though I have been following the development of the course since early on, and following the recent chatter on facebook.

It is owned by different folks than run BRP, though the owners are close friends and Ray has been involved from the beginning in the development of the course.

After the Majestic it will remain "closed" until the fall sometime when it will open to members only. A year membership is $200, members will be able to bring guests along free of charge (or possibly a small charge, not sure on this point), as the course will be guarded by a gate with a keypad that members will have access to.

Attachments

• 11295694_1586269308319142_5580651865056996487_n.jpg
    11295694_1586269308319142_5580651865056996487_n.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 51
What is the deal with VQ? Is it owned by the same folks as BRP (Sounds like it is relatively close)?

Will it ever be opened up for pay-to-play traffic? Or is it more of a private club?

Any maps/scorecards?

I believe it's a different owner, but that Ray helped develop it. Maybe? I'm not really sure and not plugged into the scene too much. What I was told today is that it's open this week for the Majestic but then will be closed until fall or next spring for seeding/sodding. It's a private pay-to-play course and I have no idea if it'll be open to the public eventually, or require a membership, or what. Hopefully someone else can better enlighten us.

Fwiw, they had a bunch of shirts and discs with the course name on them, so I assume they'll be "open" at some point. You can tell they put a ton of work into it, so I'd think they would want to showcase that eventually. All the greens are woodchipped and then the paths to the next tee also. Nice tee signs. Built up mounds or hills for some greens. Benches and tables all over. Really did a lot.

Edit: Martin beat me to it.

What is the deal with VQ? Is it owned by the same folks as BRP (Sounds like it is relatively close)?

Will it ever be opened up for pay-to-play traffic? Or is it more of a private club?

Any maps/scorecards?

It's private property, built by a person on his own land. It sounds like there will be a number of annual memberships, and will not be open for pay-to-play. We will have to see what the future holds. It takes a lot of work to maintain an entire facility, not to mention fixing things that bad people ruin.

Honestly if I built something in my backyard, I would be leary of the public coming and going as they please, and over time my things and probably life's dream would slowly be demolished faster than I could afford to keep up.

Due to it being a private course, there may be an event or two each year. It's entirely up to the owner about how much traffic he wants in his back yard.

After the Majestic it will remain "closed" until the fall sometime when it will open to members only. A year membership is $200, members will be able to bring guests along free of charge (or possibly a small charge, not sure on this point), as the course will be guarded by a gate with a keypad that members will have access to.
nice. that sounds like a nice barrier to entry that will really keep people that don't belong out.

so any of you twin cities folks looking at getting a membership??? need a guest?? beers afterward on me. ;)

i'd be half tempted to just plunk the cash down to get in early despite it being ~4ish hours away.

I probably won't. Not that what I saw wouldn't merit the cost, but I'll never get enough rounds in to justify it. Career, family, taking care of the house, other hobbies...I'm usually only getting out to play once a week with everything else going on and I'd probably feel obligated to play there every time then.
Maybe if I was still young and single.

I probably won't. Not that what I saw wouldn't merit the cost, but I'll never get enough rounds in to justify it. Career, family, taking care of the house, other hobbies...I'm usually only getting out to play once a week with everything else going on and I'd probably feel obligated to play there every time then.
Maybe if I was still young and single.

I am on the fence about membership. It is definitely a hefty price for what is supposed to be a recreational sport. If they are only going to have a few events out there each year, I could not justify the money just to go practice for an event.

The membership price was supposed to be for an individual and I heard there is a family rate that is only slightly more expensive. Short of monitoring it and having someone on site (it is private property, so I suppose it would not be too difficult for the owner to quickly step out and greet a group to check), once someone has the code, what would stop him or her from passing that code around? Obviously that code COULD be tied to an individual, if there are different codes for every paying member, so if you were to spread it, then it is your number on record if anything bad happens.

I am just worried that good intentions could be abused if the good intentions are unfortunately not very well thought out.

What would make it more appealing to me is if my membership would allow me to bring three other non-members to play with me. Playing solo out there does not sound like a lot of fun.

I would imagine that most people paying the $200 will want to protect their investment, so to speak, and not let a bunch of people go play it unsupervised with an opportunity to ruin things. But maybe not...I don't know. I'm not sure how he'll police everything either, or work out the codes and access.
I just know that with the limited amount of time I have to play, and the other courses around that I enjoy playing, I likely won't buy the membership and "restrict" myself to one course to feel like I got value out of it.

I am in LOVE with the idea of par 3.5, as long as the course par comes out to an even number. I've proposed this idea in the past. Good to see it actually being used.

Not legal for sanctioned play yet, even if par total comes out to even number, but interesting idea.

Not legal for sanctioned play yet, even if par total comes out to even number, but interesting idea.

Interesting, I didn't know the PDGA governed that. So, for sanctioned play, they could keep the course par the same, but simply not publish the par for each hole individually and it would be allowed?

Interesting, I didn't know the PDGA governed that. So, for sanctioned play, they could keep the course par the same, but simply not publish the par for each hole individually and it would be allowed?
No. The definition of Par from a rules standpoint is: 800.02 Par: As determined by the Director, the score an expert disc golfer would be expected to make on a given hole with errorless play under ordinary weather conditions, allowing two throws from close range to hole out.

Since a player can currently only score in integer values, par must be an integer value. It's especially important when a player is late and has to take par+4 on a hole. Now if the definition changed the word "make" to "average" we're getting closer. But even then you need to figure out how to handle the par+4 scenario.

Since a player can currently only score in integer values, par must be an integer value. It's especially important when a player is late and has to take par+4 on a hole.

Oh yea, forgot about that rule. It should read [ROUNDUP(Par) + 4].

I am in LOVE with the idea of par 3.5, as long as the course par comes out to an even number. I've proposed this idea in the past. Good to see it actually being used.

What's the purpose of calling something a par 3.5? We just usually call those tweeners. In reality they are either hard par 3s or easy par 4s. What does 3.5 accomplish?

I played VisionQuest on Wednesday evening and I have to say that it is going to be one of the most beautiful courses to play. Once the grass has matured, and some very minor tweeks, it's will become a very sought after dg experience. Beautiful water holes with Swans swimming around. Cantilevered tee pads over water. This place has it all. When I can I will try to post some pictures.

17665486084_79d0a17e0c_z.jpg

18101921739_50e40046cf_z.jpg

17667505203_8123ff92f8_z.jpg

18288106715_39f7004112_z.jpg

Latest posts