• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

The downs and ups of the top ten finishers.

attachment.php

The best single hole was Zackeriath Johnson's 3 on hole 16 in round 2, saving him 2.23 throws.

The worst (in this group) was Gregg Barsby's 7 on hole 13 in round 3, costing him 3.03 throws.

Attachments

• IWTracks.jpg
    IWTracks.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 250
So I havnt exactly followed UDisc and these stats. Is there anything that continues to pop out showing that leading in specific stats correlates to being more successful than others.

I realize that doing well in any positive stat will generally be good but are any showing they are more important than others?

Hmm... No arguments going on in this thread?... No Steve's hole analysis?...

(not that I really understand those graphs anyway:p;))

Personally I thought that hole 4(E) should have been par3 and hole 8(6) should have been a 5. No statistical basis for that, just experience.

Yeah, if there's one thing I'd change it'd be moving that pin a little closer to the tee and still on the slope. Like have it 25 feet back but only like 10 feet to the right of the tree that frames the bottom of the normal pin area. Make it a little less dangerous to get close but still have the need to have absolute control of the disc.

For 17(OG16), I wonder if the short pin would play more fairly than the long? It's still a mass of OB, but might be more forgivable and would make the right bail-out zone more useful and reasonable.

For 17(OG16), I wonder if the short pin would play more fairly than the long? It's still a mass of OB, but might be more forgivable and would make the right bail-out zone more useful and reasonable.

I think they should make the creek OB start at the bridge for the short pin. That would eliminate some of the more fluky deflection OB's.

Yeah, if there's one thing I'd change it'd be moving that pin a little closer to the tee and still on the slope. Like have it 25 feet back but only like 10 feet to the right of the tree that frames the bottom of the normal pin area. Make it a little less dangerous to get close but still have the need to have absolute control of the disc.

:thmbup: You just about nailed the description of its usual basket position:
picture.php

:thmbup: You just about nailed the description of its usual basket position:

Funny how that works out; I more meant slightly further and and slightly more to the left than normal, to really make the pros push the hyzer further to get up there with the backhand, and keep the forehand line really tough as well. Or hell, just leave it in the normal pin; it is a surprisingly tough hole in that placement anyways

Love me some Idlewild

If you're not an Idlewild wonk -- please disregard this post.

Reading all this and watching the videos it's interesting since I've played Idlewild several times. The video coverage is outstanding but as stated several times by the commentators it's difficult to get how steep it is.

So much discussion about 17 (OG 16) is almost the same as the discussions I've had with the mopey golfers (including myself) have had about that basket after we've played it. There's no real sure way to play it and it's certainly not fair but it's such a great basket I look forward to it every time I'm there. It's not like when you kick into the creek off a tree you're shocked -- it's almost always like you just want to see that perfect throw land in the grass . . . . but it never does.

Surprising to see so few rollers into 18's basket -- seems like a better way to get there especially now that the guardian evergreens aren't down to the ground anymore.

Also would've thought that the letter basket between tournament 6-7 would've made the cut instead of maybe #6. Throw up some out of bounds, maybe push the basket back right a little with some ob thrown in just for another ace run . . . . 6 is annoying to throw and it wasn't much more fun to watch the grown-ups throw either.

Didn't like or understand the mando on the y-tree but that's been said -- also didn't like the inbounds behind the basket. Made the drop-zone too easy, but that's an opinion I may be alone on. I thought the teeny island was so the only way you get to that basket is with a controlled putt.

I loved 16 -- at least they had to think about where the disc was going to land. Although -- I got confused watching one of Barsby's rounds -- looked like he was right next to the creek in 2 but then he was OB . . .? I was doing other stuff while viewing so I'm sure I missed it and no I'm not going back to figure it out. Always one of those "reality check" baskets when you watch the people that can throw it 500+ and don't pretend they can . . .

I didn't see anything discussing how/who/why the particular 18 baskets were chosen but they/he/she chose well. It was a surprise to see tournament #4 turn into such a snooze fest. I'd love to see the same layout next tournament for these mutants but make 4 a 3 and 8 a 5 and see how the players react. I know the commentators talk a good game how "par doesn't matter", etc., I'm just saying you tell these aggressive types it's a par 3, they'll think they have to get a two . .. just sayin'.

These videos helped me understand the frustration factor and why many people avoid Idlewild. It's hard.

I played it again today (anybody know how long they will keep the baskets in tournament setup?) and I still can't figure out how to play tournament 14.

https://youtu.be/HHfjXcFexzk?t=954

Even throwing a controlled putter that gap is so small and so far down there, you've got to be 1000 rated good to get that consistently and not just get lucky. Since 1000 rated players make up a microfraction of disc golfers I'd open that gap up just a bit more.

I played it again today (anybody know how long they will keep the baskets in tournament setup?) and I still can't figure out how to play tournament 14.

https://youtu.be/HHfjXcFexzk?t=954

Even throwing a controlled putter that gap is so small and so far down there, you've got to be 1000 rated good to get that consistently and not just get lucky. Since 1000 rated players make up a microfraction of disc golfers I'd open that gap up just a bit more.

They are supposed to put new tee signs in soon, renumbering the course 1-24. Not sure if that's when they will put the other baskets back in or not. Those guys out there did a TON of work getting that course in shape, so a week or two off would surprise me a bit.

1697fecb.jpg

I think if those first two trees on the left weren't there the hole would play much better. Or if they shifted the teepad a couple feet to the right... It's so hard to hit that gap with a backhand from the corner of the teepad.

Also would've thought that the letter basket between tournament 6-7 would've made the cut instead of maybe #6. Throw up some out of bounds, maybe push the basket back right a little with some ob thrown in just for another ace run . . . . 6 is annoying to throw and it wasn't much more fun to watch the grown-ups throw either.

I didn't see anything discussing how/who/why the particular 18 baskets were chosen but they/he/she chose well.

These videos helped me understand the frustration factor and why many people avoid Idlewild. It's hard.

I think hole D would have been better than using the doinker(Mcbeth's double ace hole). Its still be an almost automatic 2 for most of the guys, but with the mando and the pond, it would be a better score separator, imo. Unless they make the doinker an island or something.

They are supposed to put new tee signs in soon, renumbering the course 1-24. Not sure if that's when they will put the other baskets back in or not. Those guys out there did a TON of work getting that course in shape, so a week or two off would surprise me a bit.

1697fecb.jpg

I think if those first two trees on the left weren't there the hole would play much better. Or if they shifted the teepad a couple feet to the right... It's so hard to hit that gap with a backhand from the corner of the teepad.

the only time I 3'd this hole was with a Stratus: hyzered past those trees, flipped up flat, then glided soft left to right down to the base of the big tree near the bottom of the hill on the edge of the creek/wash that runs left to right to the creek in front of the green. lol, I 3'd 14 that same round(first and only time) and still shot around 80.

the only time I 3'd this hole was with a Stratus: hyzered past those trees, flipped up flat, then glided soft left to right down to the base of the big tree near the bottom of the hill on the edge of the creek/wash that runs left to right to the creek in front of the green. lol, I 3'd 14 that same round(first and only time) and still shot around 80.

I don't think I've ever taken anything less than a 6 on long 14...

Im just not seeing how hole 14 is that difficult. It looks like a hole that would be at hidden lake in st augusta mn. Looks challenging but honestly just a respectable flick off the tee should set you up fine for a 3 or 4.

Im just not seeing how hole 14 is that difficult. It looks like a hole that would be at hidden lake in st augusta mn. Looks challenging but honestly just a respectable flick off the tee should set you up fine for a 3 or 4.

Are you talking about tourney hole 14 or normal hole 14? The normal hole14(tourney15) which I was referring to, is just a bad hole for my game. Its a lot more uphill than it looks on camera. I cant throw a FH that far, that uphill, with any kind of consistency, and I tend to not throw my BH well off that tee either. For me its one of those holes everyone has where you're almost defeated before you even get to it. Its more of a mental thing...

The one time I remember pureing the first two shots, I had like 50ft left for a 3, hit the cage and rolled down the hill towards the short tee about 80ft, lol.

Last edited:
Are you talking about tourney hole 14 or normal hole 14? The normal hole14(tourney15) which I was referring to, is just a bad hole for my game. Its a lot more uphill than it looks on camera. I cant throw a FH that far, that uphill, with any kind of consistency, and I tend to not throw my BH well off that tee either. For me its one of those holes everyone has where you're almost defeated before you even get to it. Its more of a mental thing...

Im just going off the video. Ive never played the course.

Should I be looking at 15 in the video?

Im just going off the video. Ive never played the course.

Should I be looking at 15 in the video?
Yup it was 15 for the tourney. Man its rather annoying having to clarify which holes I've been talking about, lol. Been doing it for a week now, and in another couple weeks they're renumbering the entire course after hole 2...:wall:

Yup it was 15 for the tourney. Man its rather annoying having to clarify which holes I've been talking about, lol. Been doing it for a week now, and in another couple weeks they're renumbering the entire course after hole 2...:wall:

Haha I bet.

From the video..

14 looks harder for my playing style. 15 looks somewhat easy as long as you end up anywhere up on top of the hill. Of course video doesnt directly translate over to how it is when you actually play it.

You throw an insanity bh up the hill?

I usually try to throw a bullet with my old crave. Whenever I try to flip something up there, I usually hit that big tree on the right side and wind up in the gulley or deep in the mess right. With the crave, as long as I start it off straight, will usually get me near the top of the hill on the left side, with a look to run towards the basket. If I get the right angle I will try to throw a 200ft flick in at the basket. Most of the time though I just play it safe and try to land just short of where the fairway pinches tight about 100ft short of the pin. Leaving a fairly simple turnover with a proxy. I very rarely get a good teeshot off though...

Course info says the hole is 477ft. I would say probably at least 250-275 to the top of the hill. But it plays more like 350 probably. Just a guess but i'd say at least 35ft of elevation change.

I'm sure its been done before. Mcbeth, in the final round, hit the band for 2 going roc/roc.

Latest posts