• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Idlewild Open driven by Innova & The Nati Aug 7-9

When Discgolf manufacturers are the No1 income for the top players and the players income to some degree depends on how much discs that player can sell.. . then it becomes a team sport.

Be on the "right" team. . sell more discs. . .make more money

If you look at Paiges all 3 rounds, and combines the best score ..pick the best score on each hole over the 3 rounds and you get a -8 Bogey free round

So she COULD throw a -8 round at Idlewild. . .but all the OBs she throws destroys her chances

Her variance is LARGE. . on hole 13 she threw a 3 and a 8!!

I like analysis of 'golden' rounds. I think it sheds an interesting light on consistency/luck/aggressiveness.

I do wonder if a good format or secondary prize could be an award for the best golden round at each tournament. the obvious corollary would be a wooden spoon award for the worst brown round (worst score achieved on each hole).

If we want more stories from throughout the field I think this is a good approach, it reminds me of the jerseys in the cycling grand tours.

I like analysis of 'golden' rounds. I think it sheds an interesting light on consistency/luck/aggressiveness.

I do wonder if a good format or secondary prize could be an award for the best golden round at each tournament. the obvious corollary would be a wooden spoon award for the worst brown round (worst score achieved on each hole).

If we want more stories from throughout the field I think this is a good approach, it reminds me of the jerseys in the cycling grand tours.

I Think Eagles "golden round" would have been a -18 . . he got two eagles and never birdied hole 4 and 18

There is a certain amount of randomness though at Idlewild. So many trees well into drives, especially holes 7,8,10,12,13,14,15,17. I use the word randomness, but in reality it is luck. Hole 17 being the epitome of that. So many great drives that just nick a tree 200+ feet into their flight and end up being bogeys or worse. It does average out over 3 rounds, but to get thru all 3 rounds with so little damage like Eagle did again underscores what a great event he had.

There is not as much randomness as everyone thinks at idlewild. It's way, way more fair than everyone thinks.

MJ are you coming at this from a "you make your own luck" perspective?
Or that Idlewild is not as heavily wooded in comparison to other courses as people make out?
Or that the course offers players the chance to take a risk with the possible upside of a great drive and you guys at the top are taking those chances?
Or something else?

There are well defined lines on most of the holes out there, they are just smaller than most courses. Hit the line and get rewarded...

Miss the line... and well, you better be able to take your medicine and move on because trying to make a "Hero Shot" recovery, will often lead to some big scores.

There are well defined lines on most of the holes out there, they are just smaller than most courses. Hit the line and get rewarded...

Miss the line... and well, you better be able to take your medicine and move on because trying to make a "Hero Shot" recovery, will often lead to some big scores.

Can't say I've played the course but this is how it appears on video, get off the fairway and you've gotta scramble, but the scramble lines are a lot more difficult than maybe just an obstructed stance like at other courses. You're really trying to thread the needle with a perfect shot to keep on pace score wise, don't hit it and you're in the exact same position as before...difficult scramble shot to recover.

I'd imagine most mere mortals would just pitch to a good position on the fairway and take a stroke as opposed to navigating the tight scramble lines.

Play smart. Eagle and McBeth both threw a spike hyzer on #16 to get in the middle and play from there. Smart play and both had an eagle on that hole I believe. That's how you play Idlewild. Bombers who have nothing else to their game will hate that place.

I'd imagine most mere mortals would just pitch to a good position on the fairway and take a stroke as opposed to navigating the tight scramble lines.

How many mere mortals have you met? :D

Sometimes at Idlewild pitching out is your only option. But frequently the course tempts you into going for a tricky line. Sometimes it works and you feel like a hero; sometimes it doesn't and you take a snowman.

Woods golf. Turned up to 11. :)

Ha yeah I have a tendency to think I can pull the miraculous scramble out of thin air and usually take the high risk line, difference is those guys have the skill to pull it off consistently where I do not lol.

I'd imagine for somebody that good especially in a tournament setting laying back up in the fairway just feels like giving up strokes, even when it might be the smart play.

Regardless I think it makes for more interesting golf...nobody is safe from a potential blow up and a hot round from the chase card definitely puts added pressure on.

If you look at Paiges all 3 rounds, and combines the best score ..pick the best score on each hole over the 3 rounds and you get a -8 Bogey free round

So she COULD throw a -8 round at Idlewild. . .but all the OBs she throws destroys her chances

Her variance is LARGE. . on hole 13 she threw a 3 and a 8!!

I can't disagree. A couple times she seemed to grenade. One OB would turn into 3...

I guess not even Paige can throw great every weekend.

Paige definitely had a rough weekend.

Not a popular opinion, but I stand behind the thought that Paige leans more toward "highlight shot" than "practical shot". I know she throws putters frequently, but I'm guessing if she played a casual round on the same layout with only a putter she would probably shoot a better score.

Paige needs to try something new on hole 16 and 17. .

3xOB on hole 16
2xOB on hole 17

6xOB on hole 16
2xOB on hole 17

4xOB on hole 16
5xOB on hole 17

So 13 OBs on ONE hole the past 3y over just 9 rounds. . .new "play safe" tactic maybe?

I get that 17 is hard. . .but 13 OBs on 16?!?! the fairway is not THAT narrow!!

Last edited:
I played DGPT layout this year at Idlewild. I was parked under the basket on 17 for a 3. It's not that hard if you play it smart.

I played DGPT layout this year at Idlewild. I was parked under the basket on 17 for a 3. It's not that hard if you play it smart.

I can see that. . and a par play should be quite "easy" 3x40m throws and you are at the basket...

But 16. . .Paige has ONE birdy on that hole from back in 2017

She has 5 par, 3 bogey and one 9 on that hole in 2017-2020. . she could play that hole for par with a putter 100 times out of 100....but she just have to go for it..

Last edited:
Not a popular opinion, but I stand behind the thought that Paige leans more toward "highlight shot" than "practical shot". I know she throws putters frequently, but I'm guessing if she played a casual round on the same layout with only a putter she would probably shoot a better score.

A lot of her miscues seemed to come on throws I wouldn't consider "highlight shots". She simply was missing the fairway a lot with everything from drivers to putters.

Latest posts