• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGPT: 2020 Idlewild Open driven by Innova & The Nati Aug 7-9

I hope they don't make Idlewild harder, it is plenty hard enough. Those -14 rounds were exceptionally good rounds by 2 of the world's top 5 players.

If the designers are offended by the -14s, they could just change the pars on holes 1, 8, and 13 for MPO. For instance, hole 1 could be a par 3 for MPO and a par 4 for FPO (similar to the way they treat hole 18).

Strange to se the two "wierd FH form" players on top in FPO. . .and two of the shortest distance of the tee

But Paige throws as many OBs on ONLY hole 17 as Hokom and Widboom did in total!! . . 5 OBs on ONE hole!!

17 OBs for Paige . . .5 for Hokom and Widboom. . .that´s 12 more and she looses by 4 throws
I know "play safe" is not Paiges thing..but come on! . . .a least "play safer"

But it IS NOT strange to see forehand strong players dominate in the woods. Not at all. Regardless of their "style/form", they get to look at where they are throwing most of the time.

Paige might be the most aggressive player in the world, male or female. It burned her this tournament, but it has helped her win sooooo many others.

A few other thoughts...
1)Hole 17 seems gimmicky. Great for drama, not great for ensuring the best player wins.
2) Eagle pulled off something I didn't think he could do--win on a heavily wooded course. We'll see if it transfers to Maple Hill.
3) The live chat comments were just awful. I know it's the internet and all, but geez. If you call Paul McBeth a choker in any circumstance, you shouldn't be allowed to watch disc golf anymore.
4) Eagle's girlfriend works for NASA? Most people work at a car wash or grocery store at that age.

THE INTERNET, yes. Wow. But there are many out there who called Ricky the same thing for years before he ever beat Paul. Like you say, geez, the guy shoots 1050-1060 and you're saying he "choked." I have had that argument so many times. One guy said KJUSA "took a dump" week before last, talking about his 1048 final round. I find that awfully incredulous.

If my standards are high enough, and I don't meet them, then to some extent I would probably feel like I "choked" because to some degree it is true. It is all relative, and what matters is how you respond. Like Eagle going from breaking his hand to his current winning ways.

Those whose names are stamped on discs likely aren't bothered by those who have to sharpie their names on discs.

Reminds me of all the internet powerlifters who point out how someone bombed out at a big meet, yet they have never stepped foot on a platform that wasn't in their garage or basement.

Something that was posted up in my old boxing gym that stuck with me, taught me to ignore the noise and focus on my own efforts:

"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

But it IS NOT strange to see forehand strong players dominate in the woods. Not at all. Regardless of their "style/form", they get to look at where they are throwing most of the time.

THE INTERNET, yes. Wow. But there are many out there who called Ricky the same thing for years before he ever beat Paul. Like you say, geez, the guy shoots 1050-1060 and you're saying he "choked." I have had that argument so many times. One guy said KJUSA "took a dump" week before last, talking about his 1048 final round. I find that awfully incredulous.

youre still butthurt about that comment

lololol

Paul didn't choke. Eagle played a phenomenal round and forced Paul to make some shots and he was just a bit off after the first 6 holes...

...and when you're a bit off at Idlewild, you get punished. As Uli said during the commentary yesterday, you're almost better to be more than a bit off on some of the holes than just a bit. Hitting a tree dead center leaves you in decent shape but just clipping a tree sends you off into the boonies...

Man I wish I choked like Paul. That eagle on 16 was as opposite of choking as one can get.

His main problem on several holes the last round was that his hyzer flips weren't. They just never flipped up enough and stayed too far left. That was his problem on 7, 13, 15, and 17, just that I can recall-maybe more. Not sure why it was an issue for him yesterday, but I do know that it is fixable.

Dang. The throw-in on #2 by Eagle. :eek:

That was psick!

I heard someone in FPO aced #9, but dunno if that's on video. Otherwise Eagle's eagle has to be the shot of the event. That's in the middle of the pond if it doesn't smash chains.

"dominate" ? I thought boomer's game was awesome, but I didn't see anything close to a domination take place in the FPO division. The par golfers did their thing while the better skilled players made mistake..after...mistake. It also seems like Paige needs to learn how to finesse a disc a little better, less arm speed but more spin at release. Could help with accuracy in the woods.

youre still butthurt about that comment

lololol

Nope I just thought it was silly. Over-reaching. Part of today's "sensationalist" culture.

"dominate" ? I thought boomer's game was awesome, but I didn't see anything close to a domination take place in the FPO division. The par golfers did their thing while the better skilled players made mistake..after...mistake. It also seems like Paige needs to learn how to finesse a disc a little better, less arm speed but more spin at release. Could help with accuracy in the woods.

I wasn't specifically talking about FPO in this tournament. It was more of general statement. But I will take your comment and agree that over-reached there as well. In general, at the pro level it is rare that anyone "dominates." Most events are within 3-4 strokes so that's hardly domination, I get your point. What I more accurately meant was that forehand dominate players will have a better chance to shine in the woods because of that. For example, where did Sarah H when her World title? -- Charlotte. Big Jerm had 2 DGPT wins in Waco, one in a playoff over Nate Perkins. Barsby won Worlds at Smugglers. Not that anyone dominates, I get you, but FH-dominant players have a slight advantage on wooded courses.

Where's Johnny Depth when you need him?

Paige definitely had a rough weekend. IDK, maybe the heat was getting to her. I don't think those technical, wooded courses are really her forte. Paige excels on the open courses where she can really cut loose on every hole. All the other women seem to catch up to her when distances are limited by OB or trees. Her obvious advantage is length.

Way, way too many OBs. That course is hard, but she was simply not throwing good shots consistently. Extremely wild at times, and on seemingly innocuous looking shots.

Frankly, I think that course looked like a slog for the women. It had too much OB, and after a while it looked like they weren't enjoying playing there anymore. Several holes the average score was bogey or worse.

Paige definitely had a rough weekend. IDK, maybe the heat was getting to her. I don't think those technical, wooded courses are really her forte. Paige excels on the open courses where she can really cut loose on every hole. All the other women seem to catch up to her when distances are limited by OB or trees. Her obvious advantage is length.

Way, way too many OBs. That course is hard, but she was simply not throwing good shots consistently. Extremely wild at times, and on seemingly innocuous looking shots.

Frankly, I think that course looked like a slog for the women. It had too much OB, and after a while it looked like they weren't enjoying playing there anymore. Several holes the average score was bogey or worse.

If you look at Paiges all 3 rounds, and combines the best score ..pick the best score on each hole over the 3 rounds and you get a -8 Bogey free round

So she COULD throw a -8 round at Idlewild. . .but all the OBs she throws destroys her chances

Her variance is LARGE. . on hole 13 she threw a 3 and a 8!!