• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

How good are you?

There's ponds in play on holes 2 and 4(standard layout hole E). I threw a nicely seasoned Star Teebird into the drink last week while playing the Open layout. First disc I've lost at Idlewild in a couple years.

The rest of the water that comes into play is a pretty typical creek that never gets more than a foot or two deep at it's deepest spots. Most anything in the creek is pretty easy to get to.

The rough is fairly well beaten down but there are areas that are thicker than others. The tall grass rough on the 1001' hole is worse than the wooded rough.

How likely is it to lose discs on the tournament layout? I will be flying in and want to avoid extraneous packing.
Hole2 if you go for it, you can lose one pretty easily. Also, if you saw off the approach over the water.
Hole3(A) Again if you saw it off on your drive or hit one of the trees on the right side you can shoot in the pond.
Hole4(E) A good shot will be fine but if you throw to high or saw it off you can get into the pond.
Most of the woody areas the rough is thick but hard to lose a disc in and some of those holes will have spotters.
Hole16(15) 1001ft hole. You can lose a disc pretty easily here if thrown way off line. But there should be spotters out there to help.

The big problem will be if we get a lot of rain and the creeks swell up....*insertfingerscrossedemoji*

Jessica Weese says easier.

Nice lol.

Last edited:
Pro's are putting that poor hole through the ringer lol.. going to fool people into thinking the course is easy :rolleyes:

Hole4(E) A good shot will be fine but if you throw to high or saw it off you can get into the pond.
Most of the woody areas the rough is thick but hard to lose a disc in and some of those holes will have spotters.

Yep, I put too much air under my teebird the other day and it noob hyzered right into the pond.

If anyone is playing Saturday morning my bro-in-law and I will be spotting on 14 (regular layout 13) from 8am to noon. Say howdy as you roll through.

Tee times have been posted

Guessing the last card is the "feature card"?

Matthew Blakely 15410 1001 Lebanon OH US 2:30 pm
Michael Johansen 20300 1028 Denver NC US 2:30 pm
Nikko Locastro 11534 1028 Grass Valley CA US 2:30 pm
Paul McBeth 27523 1052 Huntington Beach CA US 2:30 pm

Good luck MJ!

Good luck MJ!

With a 3-day tournament, I assume they're not skipping live coverage for round 1 like they did at Ledgestone, so final card must be what they'll be featuring on Smashboxx. I like it...top 3 rated players in the tournament plus the highest rated local. Should be fun to watch Blakely hang with those guys.

Good luck MJ!

The card in front of them looks pretty good too!

Attachments

• Idle.JPG
    Idle.JPG
    23.7 KB · Views: 46
Geez, lol. I was thinking back when they first announced which holes they were playing, that they shouldn't use that hole(Unless they made it an island or something)... HoleD or reg17 would have been better...

There are some decent holes for galleries and some not so good. (These are using the numbers on the map above, not the actual course numbers) 1-6 good, 7 ok(ish), 8-11 not so good, 12-13 ok(ish), 14-15 not so good, 16 the 1000fter would be good from the tee and around the basket but you would be standing in the weeds on the fairway, 17 decent, 18 not so good from the tee or fairway but will have a nice amphitheater around the last basket.

I think 18 is the best finishing hole of any DG course I've seen.
Great view around the basket,
so difficult,
so easy to get frustrated after a long day,
so easy to pile on strokes,
such a simple design really,
best finishing hole in DG, IMHO.

so difficult,

Yea it definitely has that, "break out of the jungle" feel to it when you finally get to the mouth of the tunnel. Too bad that tree that was there in the mouth died. They cut it down recently...

The course is gonna change a lot over the next few years... Soooo many dead ash trees out there...:(

Last edited:
so difficult,

Yea it definitely has that, "break out of the jungle" feel to it when you finally get to the mouth of the tunnel. Too bad that tree that was there in the mouth died. They cut it down recently...

The course is gonna change a lot over the next few years... Soooo many dead ash trees out there...:(

We are suffering the ravages of the pine beetle, but not nearly as comprehensively as the destruction caused by the EAB... Such a shame.

The real genius of hole 18, if I remember correctly, is if you are conservative and throw a couple of easy putter shots, you can still get your par and walk away. But that tunnel is not so long that you can't out in the open with a good driver toss...and then you hit a tree. The rest, at least in my case, tends to be military golf until I finally get out.
So simple, so wickedly simple...

That slight upslope off the tee gets me so much. Trying to just pure my beat up wasp and I clip the top of that hill probably 50% of the time.

Latest posts