• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Idlewild Open Aug. 17-19 Burlington, Ky

Couple things...
1. There are a few times that Dickerson gets close to his 30 seconds. But it just seems longer cause of all his fake out pumps.

2. Having the actual LIVE number of throws and stuff isn't that hard actually on our end. But it all comes down to UDisc. They found that having a LOT of info added at once and constantly updating was very rough on their servers last year. That could change in the future.

3. That is fine if people don't like listening to Terry and Dodge. I have known Terry for 25+ years and his humor is just part of me now. And I don't always love Dodge's commentary, but overall I don't think it is that bad. To each their own though. And yes, filling 4 hours of live commentary is not easy. Ask anyone who we have brought in to help Terry and they will agree. I love hearing new people after they do that say, "Holy crap that is tougher than it looks". Because you just run out of things to say and you get sick of hearing yourself talk and repeat yourself. And like it or not, Terry is the best we have in the sport at doing it right now.

I am just REALLY glad that I no longer surf these and other boards afraid of what people are going to say about the broadcast. Either they are just used to the product we have and have stopped complaining, or we are actually putting out a decent product. I like to believe that latter.

Thanks to everyone who watches, shares, and supports.:hfive:

3. That is fine if people don't like listening to Terry and Dodge. I have known Terry for 25+ years and his humor is just part of me now. And I don't always love Dodge's commentary, but overall I don't think it is that bad. To each their own though. And yes, filling 4 hours of live commentary is not easy. Ask anyone who we have brought in to help Terry and they will agree. I love hearing new people after they do that say, "Holy crap that is tougher than it looks". Because you just run out of things to say and you get sick of hearing yourself talk and repeat yourself. And like it or not, Terry is the best we have in the sport at doing it right now.

Fwiw, i enjoy terrys running commentary. I think he does a great job.

Man I'm beat...
hz.gif

1. There are a few times that Dickerson gets close to his 30 seconds. But it just seems longer cause of all his fake out pumps.
Several times I counted 40, 50 and 60 seconds on the youtube timer. I have to hit the forward arrow on my keyboard at least twice as many times when Dickerson is up.

Will somebody call Dickerson on 30 seconds, please.
Even better, let's DQ the rest of the group for "Overt failure or refusal to enforce the rules of disc golf during competition."

Or, maybe start by calling courtesy violations on them every time he takes way too long and they don't call it. For refusing to perform an action expected by the rules. (There's got to be an official around who can call that, right?)

I bet it wouldn't take more than 1 penalty throw on anyone in that group before the entire field becomes quite willing to call Excessive Time when it CLEARLY happens.

It would be the best sacrificial penalty in the history of the game.

Got it, on the servers; makes sense.

Funny how I made one comment that was actually about watching on mute so I couldget work done and people took it wherever they wanted to. Once the work was done, I turned up the volume and wasn't bothered by the commentary at all. So much time to fill, plus all of their thoughts are start-stop due to the actual round action. Nothing can be done about that.

Thanks for providing the coverage.

Couple things...

2. Having the actual LIVE number of throws and stuff isn't that hard actually on our end. But it all comes down to UDisc. They found that having a LOT of info added at once and constantly updating was very rough on their servers last year. That could change in the future.

I am just REALLY glad that I no longer surf these and other boards afraid of what people are going to say about the broadcast. Either they are just used to the product we have and have stopped complaining, or we are actually putting out a decent product. I like to believe that latter.

Couple things...

Nice work as always! Live stream has been phenomenal this week. :hfive::thmbup:

Anyone else feeling a McBeast come back? :D

Jomez and Marty bringing good coverage as per usual. Especially good to see Marty not forced to follow some Prodigy D Lister on the 5th card or something.

I agree, it was awesome! I think this is now one of my top 3 events of the year. What a great course (except for 17).

Hell of a finish, hell of a course. Idlewild to me is the epitome of what championship disc golf should be at the highest level. It rewards good smart play and punishes poor throws and choices appropriately. No one is running away from the field on a course like that, and no lead is safe. This sport needs more courses like this.

Idlewild is a beast of a course. You have to be on your game or it will destroy you. Even then, there is no guarantee.

Hearing Paige Pierce say it's the hardest course she has played and listening to Jeremy and Paul's commentary puts the difficulty of this course into perspective. If touring pros are struggling with this course, then how can us mere mortals measure up?

Idlewild is a beast of a course. You have to be on your game or it will destroy you. Even then, there is no guarantee.

Hearing Paige Pierce say it's the hardest course she has played and listening to Jeremy and Paul's commentary puts the difficulty of this course into perspective. If touring pros are struggling with this course, then how can us mere mortals measure up?

One thing to keep in mind...they skipped six holes of the 24 permanent holes installed on the course. Some of them are of the shorter, less stressful variety (i.e. sub-300 feet). And some of the holes they did play do have shorter pins as well. There are some reprieves built in for the mere mortals while still offering maximum challenge.

I suspect they'll re-evaluate some of the par settings for next year, especially 17.

Calling 17 a 3 balances out calling 8 a par 4. Overall, I think the total par was just about dead on.

One thing to keep in mind...they skipped six holes of the 24 permanent holes installed on the course. Some of them are of the shorter, less stressful variety (i.e. sub-300 feet). And some of the holes they did play do have shorter pins as well. There are some reprieves built in for the mere mortals while still offering maximum challenge.

I wanna say hole 2 has a shorter pin and is one of those examples you are talking about. It's been a while since I've played Idlewild, so I can't remember it all. Overall, a fun, difficult course.

Latest posts