• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Masters Cup presented by Innova Disc Golf

Footage never really does a course justice, but maybe more so at Dela. And in person, as Ian said, you can spot the lines.

I love tight courses. They're not as pretty as a manicured golf green or open park, but they're better for the heart of the sport....just maybe not the pocket.

https://youtu.be/2m4zjJvjUUk?t=10m

I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.

I suspected as much. I love wooded, tight courses too as a typical Carolinian but a couple of those holes looked like they were just randomly throwing into a canopy of trees and picking up the pieces after lucky or unlucky bounces. I wish the video guys had telestrator technology and could circle the gaps to hit a la Madden on courses like this, would help a lot. I definitely don't like this trend towards open, ball golf style courses just for filming benefits so I'm all for helping technical courses get the respect and accolades they deserve.

Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.

Really enjoyed watching the FPO round 2 on DeLa. Provided a better sense of the different lines on the course. Was interesting to see 3-4 different styles of play. Paige is clearly the most well-rounded player; would like to see her play MPO on the right course. Jennifer played a lot of the same lines as Paige but w/o the overall tee-to-green skill. I was not familiar with Madison. She lacks some distance, but man she had some touch up shots. Seemed clear Val is still figuring out her new discs. She needs a few to beat in quicker, as the talking heads said. She nailed a few putts, complete with her "always surprised with the result" reaction.

Great commentary by Ian and Jamie. Thought you guys did a good job of highlighting the skills the women bring to the game with thoughts on thee different approaches they were taking.

Is R3 on the golf course? Can't think FPO will play well on that course, but what do I know?

The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.

I don't disagree, though I think part of it is allowing the real power players to throw long, long throws in front of those spectators.

The problem with it is that I've heard a number of people tell me in person, not to mention a number of posts on these and other boards, that the open game of golf course layouts is "boring". And I think they have an excellent point when they say that...

Yeah 12 is probably the worst hole on the course, and it's exactly like you describe.

This seems kinda counter intuitive, but golf courses are actually harder to film than wooded ones. On a golf course the can take any line, and go high in the sky. The push to move to golf courses is all about getting more spectators on the course.

At least two posters, in the bowels of DGCR, have suggested they are looking at ways to handle both filming and spectators on wooded builds they're considering.

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on our strategy here. We intentionally delayed FPO coverage in order to not have the MPO and FPO videos competing for views. The theory is, if we feature the ladies on days where other videos aren't being released (aka avoid the next-day cycle), we will grow their following faster. What we've seen is a growing number of people who want to watch FPO, but that don't necessarily pick FPO over MPO when given that choice (note that I'm talking about actions aka user engagement, not words said on social media).

In the way-too-early statistic measuring, it's working. The 2nd Round of MC has as many views in 5 days as the GCC coverage does in 3 months.

How do you feel?

What we've seen is a growing number of people who want to watch FPO, but that don't necessarily pick FPO over MPO when given that choice (note that I'm talking about actions aka user engagement, not words said on social media).

I think this is probably correct. People would rather watch MPO immediately and avoid spoilers. People are happy that the FPO coverage is happening but there aren't any riots that it isn't next-day.

I bet people who want to watch FPO still will, people who want to watch MPO still will, but the biggest factor is that MPO was prioritized. This is probably the best approach. Just have to see what the numbers end up being.

At least two posters, in the bowels of DGCR, have suggested they are looking at ways to handle both filming and spectators on wooded builds they're considering.

Sorry if this has already been suggested and just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't a few new courses built like a hybrid TPC Stadium style cover both concerns? Wouldn't need a lot of them, just enough to cover "majors" (however that is defined).

Looking forward to hearing your opinions on our strategy here. We intentionally delayed FPO coverage in order to not have the MPO and FPO videos competing for views. The theory is, if we feature the ladies on days where other videos aren't being released (aka avoid the next-day cycle), we will grow their following faster. What we've seen is a growing number of people who want to watch FPO, but that don't necessarily pick FPO over MPO when given that choice (note that I'm talking about actions aka user engagement, not words said on social media).

In the way-too-early statistic measuring, it's working. The 2nd Round of MC has as many views in 5 days as the GCC coverage does in 3 months.

How do you feel?

Very good idea honestly. Man, it just hit me but you must be Jamie Thomas. That's really cool! Keep up the great coverage brotha man

Sorry if this has already been suggested and just thinking out loud here, but wouldn't a few new courses built like a hybrid TPC Stadium style cover both concerns? Wouldn't need a lot of them, just enough to cover "majors" (however that is defined).

Now I get to show how old and out of touch I am, TPC what? Gonna go Google but you caught me flat footed on that one.

Okay, Looked at Sawgrass. Should have guessed. While I think as you've suggested, it would work, I don't think we have the support yet. I guess you can use the stadium to define fairways and add structure, but I don't know how it would sell?

Very good idea honestly. Man, it just hit me but you must be Jamie Thomas. That's really cool! Keep up the great coverage brotha man

Haha, thanks! Yes I created an account here a good 3 years before SpinTV came into existence, just looking for form advice and disc trades. It's crazy how things have evolved since :)

How do you feel?

Dunno how it'll work, but it's worth trying. Just don't delay the FPO *too* long. :)

I also liked the FPO worked into the MPO coverage in the earlier videos this year, where possible, and I hope that'll keep up. But whatever works best.

Thanks for posting these. I just watched the FPO final round. I thought Madison Walker's commentary was good. Friendly suggestion to Ian to try to draw her out to discuss strategy more... she did do some and I'm sure she'll do more as she gets more experienced in commentary.

But in the overall, great stuff as usual. :clap:

The Vibram Open had a mini version on hole 18, but man the pavilion area for the fans was right on top of the basket. Cool as a spectator but you really have to pay attention to the action!

Haha, thanks! Yes I created an account here a good 3 years before SpinTV came into existence, just looking for form advice and disc trades. It's crazy how things have evolved since :)

I totally recall you on here many years ago. Really cool to see and hear you on such a big platform dude! Represent!

Latest posts