• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 Masters Cup presented by Innova Disc Golf

I thought you did a good job with commentary in the last round Jamie. Avery however I felt at times returned to his old sins, don't see too many here complaining though so maybe it's just me..

As far as the whole Anthon deal goes, as long as PDGA allows a person to play he obviously must be treated professional like any other player. However I really wish people would stop using "paid his debt to society" as an argument for anything, that phrase is wrong in so many ways.

I still don't quite get why Anthon was put on the featured card though. I get the argument for Wysocki as last years winner as well as the amateur champion. Obviously it can't be player ratings as that'd include McBeth. Was it just down to the TD's personal preference?

The Master's Cup used to be a highlight in terms of catching a tournament on YouTube, DeLa just have so much personality and challenge. When did they start using that bland, taupe ball golf course. Come on.

I thought you did a good job with commentary in the last round Jamie. Avery however I felt at times returned to his old sins, don't see too many here complaining though so maybe it's just me...

Not just you. Seems like DGCR has gone from piling-on to fan-boy. I am glad to say that that Avery improved, but he still has a LONG way to go. Ian was great at directing and re-directing the commentary, but Avery has to understand that he (color guy) should only talk when he has something to add, or when he is prompted by the play-by-play guy. Then he should make his point concisely and let the PbP guy move on. Just move on and don't belabor the point and start repeating yourself. Apparently, I don't like hearing AJ as much as he likes talking...

The Master's Cup used to be a highlight in terms of catching a tournament on YouTube, DeLa just have so much personality and challenge. When did they start using that bland, taupe ball golf course. Come on.

I, for one, hate the bolf day. I don't think I finished watching the Front 9, and not sure I watched the Back 9. (Yeah, that memorable.) Not because Paul was ahead. but it was so boring. Didn't watch last years bolf day at all.

I think this is the first time I've seen DeLa and to be honest I thought it looked really hokey. Maybe the cameras didn't do it justice but it seemed like a lot of holes had a strong poke and pray vibe.

Actually, I liked the ball golf course and I thought overall it's a good example of the sorts of things you have to take into consideration when designing a course like that. That's not to say the disc golf course isn't superior; I'd say it's definitely a great class in what makes disc golf disc golf, but the use of elevation, OB, angles, and distance on the golf course does a good job of making these guys actually play golf with discs. Now, if that isn't your cup of tea, I totally understand, and that isn't to say a lot of bolf courses with disc golf thrown in aren't horrendously boring, but the Dela golf course definitely does better than most.

At least it's more interesting to watch than the Memorial courses *ducks for cover*

Not just you. Seems like DGCR has gone from piling-on to fan-boy. I am glad to say that that Avery improved, but he still has a LONG way to go. Ian was great at directing and re-directing the commentary, but Avery has to understand that he (color guy) should only talk when he has something to add, or when he is prompted by the play-by-play guy. Then he should make his point concisely and let the PbP guy move on. Just move on and don't belabor the point and start repeating yourself. Apparently, I don't like hearing AJ as much as he likes talking...

I, for one, hate the bolf day. I don't think I finished watching the Front 9, and not sure I watched the Back 9. (Yeah, that memorable.) Not because Paul was ahead. but it was so boring. Didn't watch last years bolf day at all.

You could see a large improvement. I'm a strong believer in supporting effort. So yeah, fan-boy if you like. I guess i could have gone through all the issues that have already been posted, but i saw no reason to, given the improvement.

I guess I shouldn't send the participation trophy I just got for Avery though?

I prefer old DeLa to bolf too.

For the it looks random observers. I've played DeLa and you can hit the lines and the gaps. You just have to be good. And it punishes you brutally if you're off. I'm waiting for Steve West's analysis though. He will tell you if the outcomes are random.

I agree with lyleoross' attitude. Avery made huge improvements, and these things take time and practice to adjust to. He wasn't perfect but he was 100x better than the previous weekend...and it's not like our disc golf announcers are expected to be perfect at this point like an NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL announcer who has done it for a career for so many years and have decades of influence to draw on. I think the Ian/Avery combo was the best I've heard him do. I didn't like the Jamie/Avery combo as much but I don't want to be too negative. I also think the Ian/Jamie combo was the best of all.

Disc golf on a ball golf course is an abomination.

What I really like about DeLa is the limited amount of OB and the requirement that players play the disc where it lie. The same was true last week in Europe by and large. I hate when OB provides players a better lie/line. It's when they are off line in the woods that I can almost connect with the pros.

Paul > Ricky

If Paul's four World Championships isn't enough proof, this tournament is. I doubt Ricky will ever get 4 World Championships in Open. I bet Paul gets one more Open World Championship under his belt, if not more. His straddle putt is working out just fine. I doubt if Ricky switched putting styles/stances he'd be doing as well as Paul is.

I think this is the first time I've seen DeLa and to be honest I thought it looked really hokey. Maybe the cameras didn't do it justice but it seemed like a lot of holes had a strong poke and pray vibe.

It's got a couple holes that you could call poke and pray (4, 14 are probably the worst), but most of the holes have lines. They may be tight, but there's a line.

Paul > Ricky

If Paul's four World Championships isn't enough proof, this tournament is. I doubt Ricky will ever get 4 World Championships in Open. I bet Paul gets one more Open World Championship under his belt, if not more. His straddle putt is working out just fine. I doubt if Ricky switched putting styles/stances he'd be doing as well as Paul is.

There's a reason I don't gamble. Sometimes I lose. The problem with this argument is that on any given day, Ricky can shoot like he did round 1 Konopiste. Supporting this argument is everything you've written.

Did I mention, this is gonna be an awesome year?

Just to keep everyone updated on FPO. Round 2 should be dropping any minute now (commentary by Jamie and me), I'm doing commentary with Madison Walker tomorrow AM on the final round. It should be out Sunday or Monday.

For fun, go listen to the commentary, round 2, hole 14. You hear, expertise in the sport, historical knowledge of the hole and how it's been played and technical knowledge of players skills, throwing styles, and approaches. IMO, that's top notch commentating. Really well done.

Footage never really does a course justice, but maybe more so at Dela. And in person, as Ian said, you can spot the lines.

I love tight courses. They're not as pretty as a manicured golf green or open park, but they're better for the heart of the sport....just maybe not the pocket.

https://youtu.be/2m4zjJvjUUk?t=10m

Latest posts