• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2017 PDGA AM/JR World Championships

Believe me, you will be relieved that you don't have to play west lake and so will your discs... especially if it's windy

1st thanks to puttlikeablowfly for pointing out that there is only 1 round/day at West Lake.

Actually I love the long challenging courses and wouldn't mind taking a swing at West Lake even in the wind. I may not get one of the top 2 courses but there are still some very nice looking courses in the area.

Some musings regarding Adv Legends at Worlds. First offered in 2010 so this is only 8th time. Field size was 3 three times, 4 twice, 5 once, and 7 once. Women's Adv Legends never offered. Glad to see number offered for men & women combined is 8 this year. Maxed at 4 men last year & only 3 could make it. Too bad it's not worthy of a Finals.

Pro Legend offered since 1997 (20 times). Finals played 16 times and every year since 2002. The rounds plus finals trend since 2012 is 7,6,6,5,4. So they are being diminished as well.

Really hate that this division is being dumbed down. Maybe this is a minority opinion. We spend a lot of time, effort, and money to play at Worlds and Legends get to play only 4 tournament rounds in 5 days. What's up with that? Staying in condition and remaining competitive should mean something. I'm guessing PDGA is concerned that a Legend may over exert but that's no different than any other division. Just hope that trend isn't to simply offer participation trophies. Happy that I have a chance to attempt the signup race. Hope I make it. Never played Quad Cities.

I just found and read the "2017 Worlds" thread with a good discussion of the trend toward fewer rounds. Good diverse thoughts pro & con.

Is there an local area map that shows the locations of the courses? It would be helpful determining the best hotel for my travels.

Is there an local area map that shows the locations of the courses? It would be helpful determining the best hotel for my travels.

All the courses are within 15 mins of each other except for Richmond Hills. You should have no issue with any hotel you choose.

I know it is a bit early for an official Caddy Book, but is there any information about OB, tees, and targets on the courses that have multiple options?

Thanks
Ron

I know it is a bit early for an official Caddy Book, but is there any information about OB, tees, and targets on the courses that have multiple options?

Thanks
Ron

And while we are at it ..... Is there a Facebook page set up for this event?
Thanks

I've discussed a better way with Big Dog this Fall and he seems interested. No rush to enter would be involved. But too late to implement this year. I'll keep pressing.

I hope that we dont suggest something stupid that changes the rules too late for people to adjust to them, AGAIN,like what happened last year. Major changes to registration, points, etc, should be done targeting 18-24 months out, not the next championship. Give the championship group the chance to start off on a good foot.

Last edited:
I hope that we dont suggest something stupid that changes the rules too late for people to adjust to them, AGAIN,like what happened last year. Major changes to registration, points, etc, should be done targeting 18-24 months out, not the next championship. Give the championship group the chance to start off on a good foot.
Must not need fixing based on the orderly filling or lack of filling the Am Worlds divisions in a crazy fashion this year. It's a bit surprising considering the Quad Cities' more central location. Regardless, my proposal could be implemented without much advance notice since it doesn't impact the point system or minimums.

I've played more than a dozen Am & Pro Worlds and can't remember ever doing anything other than give my name and division.

Excited about this tournament. Looking for any course knowledge from those who have played before. Thoughts/ feelings on courses? WL, C1, C2, EA, RH?

West Lake Longs looks tough, and I've heard Camden 2 is a great course...

Excited about this tournament. Looking for any course knowledge from those who have played before. Thoughts/ feelings on courses? WL, C1, C2, EA, RH?

West Lake longs are challenging, but I have had a few of my highest rated rounds there. If you have good RHBH power, you can play most of your round throwing big hyzers out over the water. My strategy is bag 2 relatively new Star Destroyers that I am not concerned if I lose them in the water. You will inevitably throw at least one shot in the lake and most likely multiple, but just about every1 will. The key at West Lake is to not get discouraged as it will feel like you are not playing well because on some holes at 4 or 5 is a good score.

You will need back ups for West Lake, but just keep grinding because everyone is losing discs.

Eastern is flat point and shoot and I wish it wasn't in my pool.

RH is hilly and usually very windy, but since they have us playing shorts it really won't be an issue. Deuce or die from the shorts.

C1 is easy and ace runs will be had.

C2 is hilly and staying in the fairway is huge.

Must not need fixing based on the orderly filling or lack of filling the Am Worlds divisions in a crazy fashion this year. It's a bit surprising considering the Quad Cities' more central location. Regardless, my proposal could be implemented without much advance notice since it doesn't impact the point system or minimums.

Last years point changes mid way through the season really messed up things for players this year. If you let BG, Am nats, 16 worlds, GBO pass, then got the new number newsm you almost had no shot to get the needed points, so that might hurt early qualifying. Especially if you are in an area where there aren't lots of events. This year people have been able to plan for 2018 unless there are more changes.