• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I haven't even read through all the tripe about Paul going to Discraft.

1. Paul is a business person and isn't above negotiating with anyone, I'm guessing.
2. The notion that Paul might use negotiation with Discraft to get more remuneration at of Innova wouldn't surprise me.
3. Innova would be well and truly stupid not to figure out a way to keep Paul. Period. You want him to retire under your brand, like Climo.
4. Why go after Paul, it's gonna cost you, when you can get a whole bunch of up and coming guys, like Kevin Jones, a model that you've been following for a few years now?
5. If you really want to sign a big ticket name, why Paul? Ricky, Nate Sexton - a regular commentator, Uli, Conrad. Shall I go on? It just doesn't make sense. The days of a single dominant player are over. Paul is still a top-five player, maybe even number one, but there are ten players that can beat him any given weekend. Paying top dollar for that is bad business.

If this happens, I will be shocked. Just because of the near sighted business aspect of it. People do do dumb things though.

I agree with all of this.

It is interesting that McBeth is signed up for Sun King presents Monster on the Mountain powered by Discraft/DGA. An A tier after all important tournaments are over... A Discraft sponsored event this late in the season might be a good time for an announcement. Pure speculation here.

Maybe, but McBeth really likes that course!

It is interesting that McBeth is signed up for Sun King presents Monster on the Mountain powered by Discraft/DGA. An A tier after all important tournaments are over... A Discraft sponsored event this late in the season might be a good time for an announcement. Pure speculation here.

Oh god!!
And if he plays a Prodigy sponsored event, is the speculation that he's jumping to Prodigy too? How about a DD event?

In the final round of the HoF coverage they mentioned that McBeth dropped his Nova for a Color Glow Aviar. Trying to break that Nova dependency for some reason?? :)

There is so much garbage in this thread, I don't even know what to reply to first...

McBeth to Discraft
Possibility: Sure
Probability: Improbable at best - even if Discraft offered a contract, Innova would have to match

Why retain McBeth?
Is this even a question? There are at least a dozen reasons (this season) to retain McBeth

Discraft TeeBird
Mantis is similar to a TeeBird Flight, Stalker flies like a beat in TeeBird, & Undertakers fly like TeeBird3. Though incrementally different, I have more faith in the archer than the arrow...

Ultimate Money?
I guess I have to 'see it to believe it'

Discraft Website/Marketing
With 20 years in Corp Marketing, I can tell you that the new Marketing person at Discraft has a long, uphill battle in front of him/her. The website may be able to be edited in 10 minutes, but why 'polish the brass on the Titanic?' Or, why bother to update a site that will likely be relaunched in the 2019 calendar year?
Accuracy!
Ok, Discraft's website is old, and the OMA (online management application) is likely outdated and makes updating the existing website very difficult.

Andrew Fish
Good player, but not exactly a household name. This is not because Discraft hasn't put his name on the Team Page. It is (more likely) because he hasn't put in the course/face time. He's averaged ~17 events/year since 2013. McBeth hasn't played fewer than 20 events in a given year since 2010...

Bad Contracts
There are plenty of teams much larger than any of our manufacturers that have made even bigger contract blunders... The NY Islanders, Alexi Yashin, & Rick DiPietro come to mind...

Kevin Jones
Why are so many people convinced he's leaving Prodiscus?

Sarah Hokom
Changing again? What's wrong with Legacy?

Prodigy
This is my own anecdote. I've heard (through the totally unreliable rumor mill) that Prodigy is struggling (as a company). It seems to me that they have a pretty diverse portfolio of players on the international stage. But, I never see anyone (around St. Louis) throwing Prodigy. Assuming the rumor mill can be trusted, where would Prodigy's big names land?

Lastly
Can we stop putting 'Mc' in front of every word when talking about McBeth? Talk about McAnnoying...

There is so much garbage in this thread, I don't even know what to reply to first...

Why retain McBeth?
Is this even a question? There are at least a dozen reasons (this season) to retain McBeth

Andrew Fish
Good player, but not exactly a household name. This is not because Discraft hasn't put his name on the Team Page. It is (more likely) because he hasn't put in the course/face time. He's averaged ~17 events/year since 2013. McBeth hasn't played fewer than 20 events in a given year since 2010...

1. Exactly. Innova should concentrate on the molds in the 6-10 that destroy any other manufacturers line up. Not sure McBeth moves the needle to the tune of 1 million plus $8 a disc; up from probably around $4 which has been mentioned multiple times.

With Ultimate money and ultimate molds not changing often. A company like Discraft could have saved cash for a few years to make a run at McBeth. Innova might be completely caught off guard with cash stuck in inventory or the molds and manufacturing costs of the like 30 11-14 speed discs they have launched in the past 5 years. That would make them unable to match a large cash offer.

2. I bid on and ran an am worlds, play all over the country, watch this site from time to time. This thread was literally the first time I can remember seeing the name Andrew Fish.

I mean besides Tim and Austin, do any of the Elite team even play anymore?

McBeth to Discraft
Possibility: Sure
Probability: Improbable at best - even if Discraft offered a contract, Innova would have to match

Why retain McBeth?

Discraft TeeBird
Mantis is similar to a TeeBird Flight, Stalker flies like a beat in TeeBird, & Undertakers fly like TeeBird3. Though incrementally different, I have more faith in the archer than the arrow...

Ultimate Money?
I guess I have to 'see it to believe it'

Discraft Website/Marketing
The website may be able to be edited in 10 minutes, but why 'polish the brass on the Titanic?' Or, why bother to update a site that will likely be relaunched in the 2019 calendar year?
Accuracy!
Ok, Discraft's website is old, and the OMA (online management application) is likely outdated and makes updating the existing website very difficult.

Andrew Fish
Good player, but not exactly a household name. This is not because Discraft hasn't put his name on the Team Page. It is (more likely) because he hasn't put in the course/face time.

How would you feel if you were on the team and not mentioned anywhere on the website? How about if you were a player that finished in the top 20 at the past two Worlds?

This is something you take 10 minutes to do, because it is silly not to do it. Hard to imagine that pros don't notice this stuff. What has discraft done to prove they can market someone and help them become a star, or a bigger star?

I love discraft's products. But I remain highly skeptical McBeth would jump ship to them.

Prodigy is pretty big in Finland due to the Prodigy Europe (Seppo Paju and his brother I think). Basically for casual players I would guess Innova>Prodigy>Trilogy (Westside and Latitude mostly)>Rest, just based on what you can buy from every sport store.

I felt the same way. But it was pointed out to me that basically every college in the country has an ultimate team. Hell, Chapel Hill High down here has one. And apparently everyone uses the Ultrastar. I think every ultimate player in the damn world has to own that disc. It's a reminder of how small disc golf still is in relation.

Agreed. Ultimate is massively popular on college campuses.

There were only a handful of disc golfers I met in college, but hundreds of ultimate players.

2. I bid on and ran an am worlds, play all over the country, watch this site from time to time. This thread was literally the first time I can remember seeing the name Andrew Fish.

Two top 20 finishes at Worlds in the last two years is kind of noticeable. Also played on first round world cards on CCDG with McBeth in 2015 and 2018.

But he doesn't tour a lot nor play a lot of NT events, so he does not get a lot of attention outside of MD,VA, DE and PA.

Also I don't see Corey Ellis anywhere on the Discraft site. I think we can all agree that their web site needs a bit of work.

Latest posts