• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I really don't get it. I started playing about 2.5 years ago, tried a few used discs and the Buzzz and Stalker were the first discs I bonded with. So I became a bit of a Discraft fanboy. Long story short, I tried a bunch of discs and eventually moved to a few Innova/DM molds for drivers. Still have multiple Undertakers, Surges and Thrashers in reserve and they are all great discs.

Switched to Roaches for putting a while back and I'm digging them. I also remain a defiant fanboy of Discraft mids.

When I got really serious about learning to be better...an X Comet was my first purchase followed by some Magnets and Cyclones and those discs really taught me how to throw and shape lines. I got away from throwing them for awhile and recently recreated a similar bag using Stings/Undertakers to replace the Cyclones and I throw Discraft stuff much better than other discs...

Does your source mean he'll have Tour Series discs of those molds (i.e. like James Conrad has a tour series JK Aviar called a JC Aviar)? Or that he/she thinks they're going to take those discs away from Climo/Avery and give them to Rick?

I could see the former scenario, the latter I can't ever see happening personally.

It wasn't made clear, sorry.

It will be interesting to see how the Innova fanboys respond if Ricky does sign with them...

At a minimum, it will differentiate the people that truly dislike him as a person/golfer, vs those that just dislike his sponsor...

EDIT: My comment was not in response to yours. They happened at the same time...

Ha, that's funny, I just messaged a buddy of mine before I read this. I throw a mixed bag of innova (drivers/fairways) and discraft (mids and flick) and gateway (putters). I told him that Paul leaving was not enough to get me to stop throwing innova, but if Ricky's name starts popping up on teebirds and destroyers, I might be out.

Why?

Gibson is a pretty nice guy. He's hard on himself from what I've seen, I think his putting really gets under his skin sometimes.

To put it bluntly, he comes across as a sexist dudebro. I'm basing that on some of the things he's written on social media, specifically in response to Sarah Hokom. I'm sure he's a lovely person in other ways. But, anyway, that's why I root against him.

As an aside from there... If I didnt know Ricky was Lat64 I might think he's DD though. (=the Trilogy effect) I watch tourney footage a lot and from the discs they have him throwing, (or my recollection of it) Harp, Compass, FELON (big time) and Enforcer. Oh and the Dagger of course (which currently I dont even remember whose disc that is, and not going to google since this is about the subjective effect of footage disc choice anyway). The Explorer is on his shirt but so far any mention or a great shot with it hasnt really registered on my radar to make a lasting impression. Whereas, the drop in Harp approaches from any angle and distance really are a given in my head. The Compass is just like "its the midrange he uses" nothing special. Felon seems to always get to where he wants it. If I were asked what is his distance driver I would say Enforcers in range of stabilities.

Bottom line, Lat64 guy has made the biggest impression on me with a Westside disc and 2 Dynamic Discs. :/

A lot of the time he's throwing the XXX instead of the Felon, thats his go-to overstable fairway driver

To put it bluntly, he comes across as a sexist dudebro. I'm basing that on some of the things he's written on social media, specifically in response to Sarah Hokom. I'm sure he's a lovely person in other ways. But, anyway, that's why I root against him.

If you are going to accuse someone, please supply links to, or screenshots of, said actions.

If you are going to accuse someone, please supply links to, or screenshots of, said actions.

Probably a good policy, and good advice. I probably would have been better off being vague, rather than responding that way, since I really don't have much time to comb through facebook posts for evidence to support my opinion. So, I guess, take or leave my opinion as you see fit.

I don't know about Ricky, but I can tell you that a bunch of the lower level Lat 64 and Westside sponsored players will be moving and/or cut from the team outright. And this I know 100% to be fact.

I don't know about Ricky, but I can tell you that a bunch of the lower level Lat 64 and Westside sponsored players will be moving and/or cut from the team outright. And this I know 100% to be fact.

Do you know the reasoning behind this? Investing more in a few bigger names? Just saving money? Losing sales because the premium plastic stinks?

Yeah, that is quite the thing to say without anything to back it up.

Do you know the reasoning behind this? Investing more in a few bigger names? Just saving money? Losing sales because the premium plastic stinks?

My best guess on that one (as I have no association with those companies other than my good friends who are in that situation) is that they overextend themselves when it seemed like every 980 guy in every town got a sponsorship. I honestly don't know the real reason but maybe trying to go for big names at the expense of the local pro is a good guess. I know they reduced bonus money for the lower level players for next year and cut some outright.

And for those of you on the Prodigy Dump wagon, I can also tell you that our team is getting better for next year, and we most definitely aren't cutting our middle of the road pros (like myself and RJ on this board). The company is doing well both on the course and business wise.

Don't forget the totally crappy pros like me!!! ;):p

Latest posts