• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

2019 Pros Switching Sponsors Official Thread

I think kinda sad is working in a cubicle in a windowless building 40+ hours a week. I'd take playing disc golf professionally over that any day even if it meant having to sell merch after the rounds.

The point being the elite players deserve better treatment from sponsors and it appears we are either there...or very close.

Like MJ, he tours, but not to all the tournaments.
He has also been on the lead card a couple times this year. If you will remember, it was McBeth doing commentary, talking about how stable Dollar's ?Photon? ?Phase? was.

In the commentary, they were saying Photon, but it looked like the Phase to me.
San Francisco open? Or was that Jeff faes?
He does put out videos, including the only mini tournament I've seen on you tube.

But you might know him as the guy Bad Brad shoulder bumped at Ledgestone...
First time or second time Bradley caught on film doing that?

I'm curious about what Ulibarri will be throwing b/c I'm a nerd after all but not as curious as with McBeth b/c whenever a Prodigy guy rattles off the discs they throw my brain just glazes over. Same reason why I'm not patient enough to play Bingo. I have no idea what Ulibarri's bread and butter molds were except some sort of overstable putter (A1?) and I think the M4.

They are both paid to sell discs. How they choose to do that is up to them.

Interesting, I would bet there is some guidelines in place now for sponsored players where they have to do so many social media posts, videos, etc, etc.

Lol at people being upset over the building the bag video. It was well produced, and it gave us insight on some things that pros look at when trying to build a bag with a new sponsor. Didnt mind the uphill throwing. Sorry that Discraft is actually marketing themselves well now.

They are both paid to sell discs. How they choose to do that is up to them. Uli is not giving clinics out of the goodness of his heart. It is not like McBeth trotted out every disc Discraft makes. He chose a handful that could legitimately fill holes in his bag and told us what he thought about them. He did not claim that video was anything than what it is. And every in the, building the, whatever the bag ever done has been to sell either discs or the person in the video as a personality. And remember, you don't have to watch.

Seems like I struck a nerve. God, I've missed posting here :clap:

I think kinda sad is working in a cubicle in a windowless building 40+ hours a week. I'd take playing disc golf professionally over that any day even if it meant having to sell merch after the rounds.

9 months ago I switched from a office job (granted, I had only one wall and another side of a cubicle, so not fully boxed in) to working in a bouldering gym. You can imagine the hit that my paycheck took. But I have been 1000x better off in every other aspect. Its not disc golf, but the other big extracurricular thing in my life. Cannot imagine going back to a "real job" anymore.

As to the video, I am kinda surprised that they did not use follow flight on the shots. Could have even put multiples on the different plastics of a mold.

Now let's talk about some BBQ.

I have a better idea. Lets talk about our favorite BBQ abbreviations.

But in all seriousness, this place will be a ghost town after Ricky signs. It's amazing to me how little people seem to care about where he will sign. Paul's signing got so hyped, and people were pretty much telling us "yo, he's definitely going to Discraft" and a bunch of us were like "nah, he's going to Discmania" or whatever. People now are like "yo, Ricky is going to Innova" and a bunch of us are like "....".

But in all seriousness, this place will be a ghost town after Ricky signs. It's amazing to me how little people seem to care about where he will sign. Paul's signing got so hyped, and people were pretty much telling us "yo, he's definitely going to Discraft" and a bunch of us were like "nah, he's going to Discmania" or whatever. People now are like "yo, Ricky is going to Innova" and a bunch of us are like "....".

I'm literally here for the BBQ and general disc golf conversation. Rick is going to Innova.

But in all seriousness, this place will be a ghost town after Ricky signs. It's amazing to me how little people seem to care about where he will sign.

People now are like "yo, Ricky is going to Innova" and a bunch of us are like "....".

He missed his window to get on the hype train. We're burned out, even the BBQ talk has faded.

A moment of silence for the sauce.

I find it funny how people are pissed at Discraft, Jomez, and Paul for this building the bag segment. Go watch Kolings first in the bag for Innova. He had a bunch of random discs he was trying out. Now watch his most recent and you'll see it's all destroyers. Funny how no one is ripping down Koling for the exact same thing.

I wonder how long it took them to regret that naming convention for molds. THEN they name their plastic blends the same way. Do team members get a decoder ring or conversion chart so they know what they're throwing?

Nah, as long as you know your alphabet and can deal with up to 3 digit numbers its pretty simple.

I find it funny how people are pissed at Discraft, Jomez, and Paul for this building the bag segment. Go watch Kolings first in the bag for Innova. He had a bunch of random discs he was trying out. Now watch his most recent and you'll see it's all destroyers. Funny how no one is ripping down Koling for the exact same thing.

I remember it. It was like, "yeah sure youre going to be trusting on that Colossus when the going gets tough". :rolleyes

Seems like I struck a nerve. God, I've missed posting here :clap:

I agree my response was a bit much. What you said did not deserve all of that. I just miss when this thread was fun and often silly. Then Abbreviation Gate happened and the haters came out. Disc golf is a silly, fun, amazing activity. #keepdiscgolfsilly #dgandbbq

Nah, as long as you know your alphabet and can deal with up to 3 digit numbers its pretty simple.

if they went through all that trouble to establish themselves as a manufacturer,they could have put some marketing budget money aside and come up with something creative and easy to remember for people interested in their brand.

Maybe their next product line can be in binary or morse code...

if they went through all that trouble to establish themselves as a manufacturer,they could have put some marketing budget money aside and come up with something creative and easy to remember for people interested in their brand.

Maybe their next product line can be in binary or morse code...

I guess disc golf is the only sport that needs to name their equipment after animals or mythical monsters in order to be cool enough for people to buy them. Take ball golf for example, standard clubs, 3-9 iron ect, but the club names read like a model number. Taylor Made's new irons arent the "Taylor Made King Kong Irons" They are Taylor Made P760. Their model number can be compared to the plastic type of our discs, and the type of club is standard. Pretty simple IMO. Maybe not as "cool" or "creative" but its clean, simple, and professional.