• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone find Discs Getting Expensive?

DG…hippies being hippies…

Nobody wanted to rock the boat for the longest time and be "that guy" or the narc if you will.

Now legit biznass stuff going down and everybody is forced to raise prices to pay for Kona's inflated salary. First ones to complain are Covid n00bs while the old heads tell golden tales of the glory days when you could buy CE on the shelf for $17 and having Trotter Boxes bulging at the corners full of pearly 11x plastic…which was cheaper and better than CE to begin with.

Over/under on how many new 8x rocs 3P is gonna say he has in his basement…4?

PS I love the good ole days talk, just wish I wasn't a broke college kid 2001-2005.

shining examples of American economic illiteracy
i'm tempted to offer free plastic to anyone that can even give an accurate definition of inflation

sorry guy, i always seem to be pissing on your parade. i swear it's not personal.

Inflation occurs when you blow up a ballon, tire, or other vessel, with pressurized gas.

the old heads tell golden tales of the glory days when you could buy CE on the shelf for $17 and having Trotter Boxes bulging at the corners full of pearly 11x plastic…which was cheaper and better than CE to begin with.

I JUST retired my beloved 2001 Champion Stingray that basically has CE plastic, I think. It's completely opaque orange, perfect tackiness, perfect rigidity, still flies true like the day I bought it. The problem? I have experienced trepidation throwing it for certain shots near peril for a few years now because there's no replacing it without having to drop $50 and hunting around. It was the only Disc I had in my bag like that.

My son's friend in the neighborhood (who plays DG) is moving away unfortunately and as a going away present I picked him up a Z-Archer. As I walked around the house with it, I thought, man this feels good in my hand. Yep, went back to Otter's in Kalamazoo and got another one for me. Threw it on a hole where I'd normally throw the old Stingray and it actually flies better. Plus, anytime I want I can pick up another one for $17 or so.

The glorious old Stingray looks real good on my wall with LED lights behind it. I'm glad I got to hang it up instead of lose it or break it. I probably paid $15 for it and would say I definitely got my money's worth.

In general, governments want to deflate their currency to buy debt and inflate their currency to pay debt. We want to do the same. I put a big deck on the house 6y ago. If I pay it off with today's dollars, I get an 18% discount (excluding interest). For buying power alone discs should cost 18% more than 2016.

Yeah, but if wages in general don't go up at the same rate while everything else is, something's gonna give.

So, idk...OP...maybe if the problem is spending too much on discs, just write really expansive and heady posts on the idea of inflation and hope that some random dude on this forum sends you free plastic. (problem solved)

Thinking more of the newcomers. I spent most of my $$$ on disc in the $7 era and doing premium plastic for a while for the colors but decided dx just feels better. It's just jarring to see two price increases in 2 years as the sport is becoming more popular and can take advantage of economies of scale.

Last edited:
Tour a larger manufacture of plastic piping yesterday. Their biggest issue over 2021 was the available of resins. The reason for delays and lack of availability was the major ice storm in Texas in 2021, that cause a lost of power.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/one-week-texas-freeze-seen-triggering-monthslong-plastics-shortage-11615973401

https://www.joc.com/maritime-news/international-freight-shipping/texas-freeze-could-halve-us-q2-resin-exports_20210324.html

Biggest issue for 2022 is the lack of PVC stabilizers. Their plant is only operating at about 50 to 75% of capacity due to the lack of availability.

https://www.marke****ch.com/press-release/pvc-stabilizers-market-size-2022-global-growth-trends-industry-analysis-key-players-and-forecast-2027-2022-03-15

We run a bicycle shop and the price increases that we've seen on the majority of bikes is $200 to $500 on average with a DOWN SPEC in components. They aren't worth the money the manufacturers are asking (shops don't set the prices any more), BUT we will completely sell out 100% of our bikes again this year. We are looking at current ETA times of up to November 2024. No different than the current housing market. Supply and demand. So yes, I've paid a big difference between the Discraft's Tour series discs last year and pre pandemic, but I'm not shocked.

Last edited:
yay! there's a glimmer of hope!

flatflip and victor would get free plastic but the volatility in the subprime disc-lending market has led the Fed (Federal Executor of Discs) to temporarily suspend all transactions.

hawgdriver's techno-vomit is a good example of the obfuscation of simple ideas that dominates the econ field since Keynes. more currency chasing the same number of goods is as "fortune cookie" as it gets.

i still don't understand how this isn't the number one issue every year for every American voter

Over/under on how many new 8x rocs 3P is gonna say he has in his basement…4?

My realization that I'm not going to live long enough to run out of golf discs and this recent price hike have lined up nicely; I'm just shopping in my basement from now on.

Quoting 3P to see his answer...

I will take the over...
Because know I have more then 4. :thmbup:

yay! there's a glimmer of hope!

flatflip and victor would get free plastic but the volatility in the subprime disc-lending market has led the Fed (Federal Executor of Discs) to temporarily suspend all transactions.

hawgdriver's techno-vomit is a good example of the obfuscation of simple ideas that dominates the econ field since Keynes. more currency chasing the same number of goods is as "fortune cookie" as it gets.

i still don't understand how this isn't the number one issue every year for every American voter

You didn't like my answer. This cannot stand. I demand an audit. Audit the Dreadlock!

This is how I explain inflation in my high school economics class.

Inflation is a decrease in the value of money, which we experience as an increase in prices (remembering that prices are set by the supply and demand of money and goods/services relative to each other). A McChicken used to cost $1, so a dollar was worth one McChicken. Then McChickens went up to $1.29, so the value of a dollar went down to approximately 78% of a McChicken. Now McChickens cost $1.69, and a dollar is worth about 60% of a McChicken.

Quoting 3P to see his answer...

I will take the over...
Because know I have more then 4. :thmbup:
Anybody who thinks I'm sitting on the best DGCR Roc stash obviously is not reading your posts very carefully. :|

Anybody who thinks I'm sitting on the best DGCR Roc stash obviously is not reading your posts very carefully. :|

I am definitely not in possession of the "best DGCR Roc stash"...

But I know of a guy who claims to have about a thousand Rocs in his collection.

My stash is very small by comparison, but there are some well loved ones there, most all have been used at one time or another...

Maybe 50 Rocs at most for me...
Haven't counted my 8x's recently, but more then four...

But you didn't answer the important question. The number of 8xRocs is given was 4...

over or under?

And I am sure I have more Wizards the Rocs now...

I am definitely not in possession of the "best DGCR Roc stash"...

But I know of a guy who claims to have about a thousand Rocs in his collection.

My stash is very small by comparison, but there are some well loved ones there, most all have been used at one time or another...

Haven't counted my 8x's recently, but more then four...

But you didn't answer the important question. The number of 8xRocs is given was 4...

over or under?

And I am sure I have more Wizards the Rocs now...
I never had four 8X Rocs to begin with. :\ I had three; one was headed for the bottom of the lagoon in Riverside Park in Grand Rapids the last time I saw it, one is in the bag and I've got one last one in the stash.

9X Aviars were the disc I had a bunch of; before I die I'm going to have to put Aviars back in the bag for a bit to ruin the resale value of those for my kids. :|

Made me look; unless I have some stashed in a weird place I've got 51. That will probably do.

If I have another mold that I've got more of than Rocs, I'm sure I don't really want to know.

My realization that I'm not going to live long enough to run out of golf discs and this recent price hike have lined up nicely; I'm just shopping in my basement from now on.

Just think how well you could do if you let other folks $hop in your basement. ;)

Compared to cost of equipment in many sports, DG is a very affordable sport to start, and stick with. Buy a 3 disc starter pack under $30, and most courses are free. I am a bit annoyed when a disc I really want is $20 or more, but mostly because, as a newbie, I am used to mostly $10 DX prices.

I just got a couple of Wizards for $12 each. I try to stay away from companies that sponsor a lot of pros as I don't feel like I should be subsidizing someone who takes money for something I do for free.

Discs have become irritatingly expensive. I understand tour series discs costing more to give the pros a cut but stock discs of any flavor of plastic should actually be a lot cheaper than when I started almost 20 years ago.

Mold materials have improved to offer more cycles before retooling is necessary, qc has improved and streamlined the packing and cool down to reduce the need for regrinding, automation is involved to speed up deburring cutting sprues and pick and place has sped up material handling, high production volumes has given rise to even bigger bulk orders of raw materials that should drive costs down drastically. Everything except the tool steel used in the molds and fuel to deliver the discs has gotten cheaper to make discs and yet they're still going up.

It used to cost 3.99 for base plastic discs at my gas station and that was when there were maybe 20k pdga members and sales volumes were probably 1/500th of what they are now.

That's not even factoring in my conspiracy theory that they are using much cheaper grade plastics than they used to as evidence in the lack of durability of modern premium plastic discs.

I'm still going to buy 25 dollar squishy star plastic halo discs though because they feel the best. I'll just complain about it online and enjoy throwing them on the course.