• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Anyone find Discs Getting Expensive?

Part of the reason I throw mostly Innova is that they are (at least in germany) one of the cheapest brands. Innova Star goes for 18 Euros while Discmania S-Line is 22 Euros and Trilogys Royal Grand is 25 Euros. Those are also the brands I can shop for in physical shops, otherwise I would probably throw a whole bunch of MVP as well as their discs are as affordable as Innovas. Innova Tour Series though goes for about 30 Euros a piece.

Discs have become irritatingly expensive. I understand tour series discs costing more to give the pros a cut but stock discs of any flavor of plastic should actually be a lot cheaper than when I started almost 20 years ago.

Mold materials have improved to offer more cycles before retooling is necessary, qc has improved and streamlined the packing and cool down to reduce the need for regrinding, automation is involved to speed up deburring cutting sprues and pick and place has sped up material handling, high production volumes has given rise to even bigger bulk orders of raw materials that should drive costs down drastically. Everything except the tool steel used in the molds and fuel to deliver the discs has gotten cheaper to make discs and yet they're still going up.

It used to cost 3.99 for base plastic discs at my gas station and that was when there were maybe 20k pdga members and sales volumes were probably 1/500th of what they are now.
$3.99????? I don't even recall being able to buy discs wholesale for that in the mid-90's. Probably could have at enormous volume.

There is a lot more petroleum in the process than just fuel to deliver them- most plastics are petroleum products to begin with. Employees cost more now as well, etc, etc.

That being said I do find the annual lemming run to purchase Sextons for whatever they go for absolutely insane.

$3.99????? I don't even recall being able to buy discs wholesale for that in the mid-90's. Probably could have at enormous volume.

There is a lot more petroleum in the process than just fuel to deliver them- most plastics are petroleum products to begin with. Employees cost more now as well, etc, etc.

That being said I do find the annual lemming run to purchase Sextons for whatever they go for absolutely insane.
When I started playing I was directed by the locals to the shell gas station near the course and they had 3 dusty racks of dx disc for 3.99. Champion discs were 12 bucks. This was in 05. They also had a bin of used discs for 2 bucks a piece and you could trade in used discs for single beers out of the cooler at the register. That was a fun gas station you could get your car washed by a crackhead for 5 bucks and buy single cigarettes for 25 cents or they would sell you a mixed zip loc bag of 20 for 4 and never asked for id for anything.

I don't understand the sexton hype at all I assume there's some collector fomo at play along with people who don't even disc golf thinking there's some sort of weird investment opportunity.

I just feel like there's some significant coal raking going on because even if it costs 200% more for materials there's less employees involved in manufacturing and I suspect the big 4 disc companies might even be so up to date on process engineering they could be running lights out production on stock discs and only getting hands on for low volume runs and testing.

Kind of like how it took 25 people to setup and tune the enormous bar feed lathe next door to my office and now there's just two low paid goofs who unload material, saw the booger ends off the bar stock and load the bar feeder and clean the chip conveyer and one machinist who comes in once a week to clean out the tool carriage and swap inserts. They even auto cmm every 100 pieces with a 5 axis arm so qc is basically just keep the machines clean. Basically 95% run time with 2 full time laborers and one part time skilled person where 20 years ago they would have needed at minimum 10 skilled people on the clock in 3 shifts to even get close to those production numbers.

Since I used to ball golf when I was younger and worked at one of the top 100 courses in the country (that just hosted the Senior Open), I'm not worried about disc golf equipment prices just yet.
I would easily pay 100 bucks for a machined ptfe disc. It would be nearly indestructible. Or more for something like a flexible aluminum fabric composite with slug holes machined to have variable weight tungsten inserts.

Since I used to ball golf when I was younger and worked at one of the top 100 courses in the country (that just hosted the Senior Open), I'm not worried about disc golf equipment prices just yet.
Me too, I ball golf for 20 plus years including tournament play, and have spent nowhere near buying discs, then what I used to buy for green fees, range balls, balls, tourney fees, and sometimes mandatory carts. This past Friday I spent about 90 bucks on 7 discs from three different vendors picking up discs for strong wind play for the winter months. I would have spent that in less two weeks playing ball golf. It's going to be awhile before I complain about prices.

Discs have become irritatingly expensive. I understand tour series discs costing more to give the pros a cut but stock discs of any flavor of plastic should actually be a lot cheaper than when I started almost 20 years ago.

Mold materials have improved to offer more cycles before retooling is necessary, qc has improved and streamlined the packing and cool down to reduce the need for regrinding, automation is involved to speed up deburring cutting sprues and pick and place has sped up material handling, high production volumes has given rise to even bigger bulk orders of raw materials that should drive costs down drastically. Everything except the tool steel used in the molds and fuel to deliver the discs has gotten cheaper to make discs and yet they're still going up.

It used to cost 3.99 for base plastic discs at my gas station and that was when there were maybe 20k pdga members and sales volumes were probably 1/500th of what they are now.

That's not even factoring in my conspiracy theory that they are using much cheaper grade plastics than they used to as evidence in the lack of durability of modern premium plastic discs.

I'm still going to buy 25 dollar squishy star plastic halo discs though because they feel the best. I'll just complain about it online and enjoy throwing them on the course.

Resin is still elevated. Celcon is more than 2x the 2018 price. My understanding is that most of the other resins are in a similar state. More volume would help, but it won't erase the increase.

I haven't paid any attention to the rate at which they've gone up in recent years but I do recall that when I first started, over 18 years ago, the prices out of the back of the vans were...

DX and Pro-D: $7
Pro and Elite-X: $10
Z and Champ: $13

Star and ESP were introduced locally at $14 soon after. What was the start of Star Plastic? 2006? Does Special Blend in mid-2005 count as Star's intro? Or not quite?

Inflation rates being higher. Companies have to charge more because of the cost of gas/supplies increasing.

I don't understand the sexton hype at all I assume there's some collector fomo at play along with people who don't even disc golf thinking there's some sort of weird investment opportunity.

Short supply with a high demand and free advertising on Jomez.

I visited my local PIAS yesterday to trade in two that didn't make the bag. While shopping I saw a Sockibomb Felon $29.99, and an Emac Truth $26.99, they were both Goldline and whatever DD calls halo. That seems very expensive for two old molds with a fresh paint job. It increased my affection for my old XXX and Warship. These higher prices have also increased the amount of time I'm willing to crawl through blackberry bushes searching for a disc.

I haven't paid any attention to the rate at which they've gone up in recent years but I do recall that when I first started, over 18 years ago, the prices out of the back of the vans were...

DX and Pro-D: $7
Pro and Elite-X: $10
Z and Champ: $13

Star and ESP were introduced locally at $14 soon after. What was the start of Star Plastic? 2006? Does Special Blend in mid-2005 count as Star's intro? Or not quite?

Adjusted for inflation, $7, $10, $13 , and $14 in 2005 dollars is $11, $16, $21, and $22 in 2023 dollars. Around here, at least, stock stamp plain DX goes for ~$10, plain Pro ~$12, plain Champ for ~$15, and plain Star $18, so discs are actually cheaper comparatively these days.

No not really. I only order Factory Second discs lol.

I've learned a long time ago to not invest in discs that cost an extra $5-6 because they have a stamp on them.

Whatever King Cobra guy. You kind of have to get those there. ;)

I have been throwing a couple G* pegasus, DX Cheetah and I have a Condor now. So no room to talk lol.

Tired Knockout GIF by jagheterpiwa

Whatever King Cobra guy. You kind of have to get those there. ;)

I have been throwing a couple G* pegasus, DX Cheetah and I have a Condor now. So no room to talk lol.

Tired Knockout GIF by jagheterpiwa

That King Cobra is retired after I got my longest ace to date with it.

Up until a few months ago, I lost a few really nice discs and it hit me. Why am I letting myself buy discs that due to their rareity, make me rethink every single shot when I use them because I'm low key afraid I will lose them.

I finally decided to buy a cheap bag and fill it with nothing but used $10 or less eBay discs or just Factory Second Champ plastic discs because if they become unrecoverable due to extreme rough or water carries gone bad, oh well, it was a cheap F2 disc or a beat up $10 eBay disc.

It still sucks to lose any plastic because it still cost you $$ at the end of the day but I can at least breath a little easier knowing the disc I just shanked into the Shadow Realm was only $10 therefore not as much of a financial loss as let's say a $50+ HukLab disc lol.

Innova F2 Fridays rock! F2 DX plastic only $6 brand new. Buy 3 discs, get Innova code for their pre-selected free F2 disc. Buy 5 or more, I think 10% off, and I think 10 or more is even bigger discount?! Plus, pretty sure if you spend enough (I usually don't) you get free shipping.

Inflation rates being higher. Companies have to charge more because of the cost of gas/supplies increasing.
Thats what they want you to think, yes.

Its all just more money for the shareholders. If it were any different, the companies would realise that their workers need more money and increase salaries. But they'd rather give the money to the shareholders.

Thats what they want you to think, yes.

Its all just more money for the shareholders. If it were any different, the companies would realise that their workers need more money and increase salaries. But they'd rather give the money to the shareholders.
It is funny that companies are always trying to control salaries even though they are directly or indirectly dependent on consumer spending for revenue. The upper class pockets most of their gains, while most regular people are living paycheck to paycheck. Any wage increase to someone in the lower 50% is going right back into the economy.

It seems like it would be in their best interest to raise wages, but very few large companies see it that way.

Latest posts