• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Bad/Homer Course Reviews

When deciding whether to thumb a review up or down or leave well enough alone, I don't care much (if at all) about a review's rating. The only question this site asks is whether or not the review was helpful. Doesn't matter if I disagree with anything or everything they write...
I'll generally thumb up reviews that help a first timer gain a little more understanding about the course.
I'll usually ignore a review that doesn't 'inform' me, whether that review is written by a novice or a touring pro.
My few thumbs down have been given for reviews that misinform the reader.

The problem with his 1 star review is he more or less says "this course is too tough for me so I am giving it a 1."

I agree that everyone rates a course based on their own experience, but giving a course a 1 because you had a bad round is dumb. We should be rating the holes, variation, amenities, signage, upkeep, etc, NOT how our round(s) went.

1's are for really bad courses.

FYI, I have played Idlewild.:D

I agree with everything you say here. I disagree with the previous comment that a 1 rating for Idlewild can't get enough down votes. That says (or at least strongly implies) that the rating itself, regardless of the reasons given, is cause to give it a thumbs down. I disagree with that premise.

When deciding whether to thumb a review up or down or leave well enough alone, I don't care much (if at all) about a review's rating. The only question this site asks is whether or not the review was helpful. Doesn't matter if I disagree with anything or everything they write...
I'll generally thumb up reviews that help a first timer gain a little more understanding about the course.
I'll usually ignore a review that doesn't 'inform' me, whether that review is written by a novice or a touring pro.

Thats pretty much how I review, except:

1. If a reviewer is obviously being vicious against a course, owner, or a designer. I've down voted several of those.

2. Any course I've bagged reviews are fair game, I'll come back and read the first page reviews only and any misleading or uninformed review will get a down vote, that's where at least 90 percent of my downvotes come from.

3. After a course has been bagged, I'll also go thru the reviews on additional pages and any TR that has a review I'll up vote until the reviews no longer reflect the course due to changes, then I'll leave them alone.

I agree with everything you say here. I disagree with the previous comment that a 1 rating for Idlewild can't get enough down votes. That says (or at least strongly implies) that the rating itself, regardless of the reasons given, is cause to give it a thumbs down. I disagree with that premise.

I should have written it differently. I believe a person can/should give a 1 star review if they can explain why they are giving a 1 star review. (Paulychains review in no way justified a 1 star review for Idlewild)

What I meant is that I don't think it is possible to honestly give Idlewild a 1 star review.

If a course has: good shot variety, elevation changes, "wow" factor holes, challenge, in a beautiful setting, etc. it is not possible to honestly give it a "1" and a 1 star review should be downvoted.

If a course has: good shot variety, elevation changes, "wow" factor holes, challenge, in a beautiful setting, etc. it is not possible to honestly give it a "1" and a 1 star review should be downvoted.

Obviously, you never played Leigh Farm in its original iteration:

good shot variety - definitely: required every shot in your bag … and some that you didn't previously know even existed, owing to "fairway" shapes not in any way conforming to the flight of a disc;

elevation changes – yup, due to placing tees and baskets on dirt mounds created by apartment construction on adjoining property (mounds that were subsequently reclaimed by the developer to contour the property, forcing a complete redesign of 4 holes within 8 months of the course opening);

"wow" factor – in spades, as in "Wow! Who's the moron who thought THAT was a good idea?" e.g., hole 3, tee down a 25' wide corridor to a basket ~300' dead ahead—except that's the basket for hole 5: hole 3 doglegs ~100° right at the basket ~200' down a 10' wide corridor cut through the woods with a ~3' diameter tree smack dab in the middle ~20' in front of the basket (and the last 200' of hole 5 played directly back up the corridor of hole 3, and then you walked ~100 BACK UP the corridor to the path to hole 6). (And don't get me started on the fuster cluck that was hole 8.)

challenge - navigation, lack of signage, finding your disc in the 3-4' tall grass lining several fairways and honeysuckle and wild raspberry brambles on fairways, dodging discs from crossing and/or adjacent holes. Oh ... and blue tees = rec, green = advanced, white = pro.

But, hey, the "course designer" rated it a 4.

From MichiganResident:

Pros:

Few to be seen, difficult and bug laiden course

Cons:

Mosquitos from the swamps nearby, hornets at three holes, extremely difficult par scores make it no fun for families, the creators took away the nice practice course at Al Qual and ruined a good thing

Other Thoughts:

I, and many, are very upset that the original Al Qual Disc Golf course has been dismantled to create this abomination. I dare anyone to enjoy this course; the mosquitos will not allow you to focus.

We used to practice and learn, and get some fast rounds in at the original Al Qual course. The fact that this course was removed to make this ridiculously difficult course which goes all over the place (and I live nearby and never see anyone playing) is frustrating.

I would give this course zero stars if I could. No thought was put into this course and I never see anyone playing it.

The former Al Qual Disc Golf course always had TONS of people out and enjoying it.

Shame on you for ruining people's fun in a quest to create the most difficult course. Which coincides with mosquito territory.

I've found if you don't stick to a standard boring template, you often get thumbs down whether your review is helpful or not.

From MichiganResident:

Pros:

Few to be seen, difficult and bug laiden course

Cons:

Mosquitos from the swamps nearby, hornets at three holes, extremely difficult par scores make it no fun for families, the creators took away the nice practice course at Al Qual and ruined a good thing

Other Thoughts:

I, and many, are very upset that the original Al Qual Disc Golf course has been dismantled to create this abomination. I dare anyone to enjoy this course; the mosquitos will not allow you to focus.

We used to practice and learn, and get some fast rounds in at the original Al Qual course. The fact that this course was removed to make this ridiculously difficult course which goes all over the place (and I live nearby and never see anyone playing) is frustrating.

I would give this course zero stars if I could. No thought was put into this course and I never see anyone playing it.

The former Al Qual Disc Golf course always had TONS of people out and enjoying it.

Shame on you for ruining people's fun in a quest to create the most difficult course. Which coincides with mosquito territory.

Yeah this one was a head shaker. And the other two the same person posted seemed to be focused on "at least this course isn't Al Quaal". Egad.

There are many holes on courses where I think "if that one tree wasn't there.........." but that's what makes the course challenging. If all fairways were wide open, I'd get bored pretty quickly.

As a former Romeoville resident, that score for Volunteer is somehow both too high and way too low.
There is a Volunteer review that states "Very difficult to find the baskets." The only problem with the finding the baskets I recall is that you could see ALL of them from basically anywhere on the course so you could have an issue deciding which one it was you were supposed to be throwing at. Maybe that's what they meant?

It's kinda the shame of what we do here. There isn't anywhere that rates the Volunteer Park baseball fields on the same scale as Elfstrom Stadium and Wrigley Field. They are all places where you play baseball, but what they are trying to accomplish are very different. Here we have Eagles Crossing and Volunteer Park up here like they are the same thing and we rate them on the same scale. It's kinda laughable in a way.

There is a Volunteer review that states "Very difficult to find the baskets." The only problem with the finding the baskets I recall is that you could see ALL of them from basically anywhere on the course so you could have an issue deciding which one it was you were supposed to be throwing at. Maybe that's what they meant?

It's kinda the shame of what we do here. There isn't anywhere that rates the Volunteer Park baseball fields on the same scale as Elfstrom Stadium and Wrigley Field. They are all places where you play baseball, but what they are trying to accomplish are very different. Here we have Eagles Crossing and Volunteer Park up here like they are the same thing and we rate them on the same scale. It's kinda laughable in a way.
this somehow made way moar sense to me than when ck tries to argue the same idea

I think we have a new winner for the Ultimate Homer Course Review:

A 5 Disc review written by an account with the same name as the park, and has played 1 course and written 1 review.
The course was installed by a Boy Scout and the review amounts to an announcement about the course and trying to get rounds played, but . . .

I can't remember giving a thumbs down due to a rating before, but in addition to the review text telling next to nothing about the course, that 5 is artificially inflating the rating of what sounds like a pretty average course. I don't find that helpful.

Latest posts