• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Brodie Smith PDGA #128378

Lol....if you are running a game for attention, then taking the negative with the good is part of that game. If I decide to sport a blue mohawk, getting bunched when laughed at is simply demonstrating a lack of insight.

If actually offended, why not send a personal, adult message to the club of the course? Express your disappointment, send a couple Get Freaky's for club revenue and......well, sell yourself. Isn't this his gig anyway?

Nope, take to social media and create faux drama....because that wins even more fans.

I don't think anyone would be thrilled that their picture is posted at a disc golf course, that they've likely never played, implying that they're the type of person to litter and steal discs.

I would think that the senior members of South Jersey Disc Golf are old enough to know that this is poor taste.
He did throw in to a playground full of children and laugh. So reap what you sow and all that.

It is definitely in poor taste. However, had Brodie not tweeted about it who would have know outside of the locals that play that course? This dude's constant whining is not a good look. It's disc golf for crying out loud. You're throwing round pieces of plastic in a park. How can you take it THAT seriously? He's a disc golf celebrity after all. You're going to get the fanbois and the haters. It's what you signed up for. Don't like it? Stop collecting all those Get Freaky Zone checks from Discraft and go away.

A much better way to handle it would be to email the event organizers and ask to pull the sign rather than putting them on blast. Since neither one of them mention doing that I seriously doubt it happened. smh

Also, whatever you think of Brodie or what his influence is on disc golf, you just don't insult strangers - especially ones that would bring an extra dozen or more spectators to your event.

I disagree. To me it seems like Brodie and Paul are trying to do a disc golf coup.

Not sure why I think that today. ;)

OMG we do it all the time. Have you even seen the disc golf memes all over the place? If you're a decent touring pro you're fair game it seems like. How is this any different? I tell you what's different - Brodie is the only one whining about it.

If he thinks this is bad imagine if he had celebrity status of a real sports star like a NFL QB. His head would explode trying to address all the "haters." Lawdy he just needs to log off of twitter for a few days.

I don't understand the sign at all. First off, it doesn't make sense, I had to read through a hundred tweets to figure out what it was trying to say (and that's just other's interpretations of it, nowhere did I see the creator of the sign say "this is what it means"). Like some others, I was considering that maybe these are Brodie's rules. Most others seem to assume that we're calling new players Brodies (with a misplaced apostrophe), using it as an insult like "Karen" . Ok, fine, if that's what it means, I still don't understand the point of having the sign there - slightly insulting new players "hey you annoying bros listen here..." what new player, whether "recruited" by brodie, or having no idea who brodie is, will read this sign and change their mind about littering and breaking laurels? Shoot, if I was in the habit of doing these things, I would probably do them more if I saw a stupid sign like that.

My favorite part is the club poll "should we remove the sign?" where the majority don't see the problem with it and say keep it there.. wtf, I live a life of "to each their own" but doesn't mean I comprehend why people do things.

I didn't get the sign either. I had to read one of the replies on Twitter to understand.

I know the event TD well- no way he had anything to do with that sign to begin with.

Even so, I bet he has access to or knows who does have access to get the sign pulled. Plus its only fair if he's going to boycott an event Brodie at least give the TD a chance to defend themselves via pms or email...privately.

The more I think about it the more disappointed I am in this tweet. I TD events and have been put on social media blast before with no opportunity to fix whats wrong in advance. Cannot express just how infuriating that is after putting so much blood sweat and tears into an event only to have some short-sighted ill-informed schmuck insult me publicly. And that's what appears to be happening here. It's ridiculous.

I disagree. To me it seems like Brodie and Paul are trying to do a disc golf coup.

Not sure why I think that today. ;)

Haha, timely. In reading this though it dawned on me what irks me about Brodie, or rather the idea of Brodie. He is a newcomer to a sport and community, and gets a large (possibly underserved) platform based on his prior exposure outside of the sport. Then his messaging on this platform has always struck me as moving towards professionalizing, commercializing, and monetizing disc golf.

This is my interpretation of his message at least, and honestly it comes off a little colonial (to be hyperbolic), like, he just found this sport, and he is the only one smart enough to drag it into the light of main stream sports. The "natives" aren't doing it right and I have a model that will fix that. He then seems to get offended by the fact that the folks that built this sport up with their literal hands, over years and years, don't like that he shows up when most of the dirty work is finished and tries to be the voice of the future and make a quick buck at the same time.

Who knows maybe I'm projecting or it's just not that deep.

His need to call out every slight just screams "small-time" to me. You're new to a sport and you're outspoken and opinionated, of course you're going to have detractors. Rise above it. Go to the event, win it, and then troll them about it when you're hoisting the trophy in their backyard. That's what Michael Jordan would do. If you really aspire to being big-time, that's the pro move. Don't whine about not getting their respect, go out and earn it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

People whining about the reply.. .which really wasn't angry... seems silly.

Not a great look for the course either, but not the end of the world. Both sides would be better off handling it a bit more directly in my opinion.

Hey Everyone! I was the individual defending the club in the twitter thread. Here's some background on the whole scenario (something that a simple tweet does not provide):

Over the years, Stafford Woods has had numerous problems with people altering the course (breaking branches, sawing down trees, etc). This is especially detrimental when many of the trees being damaged and removed are laurels, a type of tree which the local township provided explicit directions to protect. Unfortunately, these type of activities have increased with the growth of the sport, with individuals treating the area as if it was their own backyard. Various attempts were made to attract the attention of players who were not respectful of course rules, but these attempts usually ended with signage removed or destroyed.

A select few thought it might be a good idea to come up with the sign posted on the twitter photo — which I believe was originally intended to be "Brodie's Rules" (hence the apostrophe). I don't know if there was a miscommunication or if people genuinely dislike Brodie, but the sign posted is what we ended up with. The idea was that using the image of a popular/familiar would attract attention to important course rules that were being ignored. Clearly, we now realize that this was an extremely poorly executed idea, although I can assure that their was no genuine malice intended with the sign.

Yes, the issue was previously discussed, but for those that read the thread, many people though the sign was successful in deterring unwanted behavior. Brodie was clearly offended by the sign, and the entire message board was removed at a moments notice — as it would have been as soon as we understood that it was genuinely offensive to Brodie.

Unfortunately, Brodie's twitter rant left a lot of our core volunteer group emotionally exhausted after receiving numerous private messages. A phone number for our lead volunteer (who had absolutely nothing to do with the sign) was posted online, and he received an absolutely absurd amount of private messages and calls over an issue he had no part in. Personally, I feel as though this could have been handled in a far more mature manner — if we want to be seen as a professional sport, berating the very people that bust their asses to make disc golf a wonderful sport is not the answer. A simple pm to the TD or course designer would have solved the issue immediately. This would have prevented the social media ****storm that ensued, which resulted in numerous individuals who devote their lives to bettering the sport for all of us to enjoy (and giving people like Brodie a place and platform to compete) being emotionally exhausted and burnt out over countless unsolicited hate messages/comments.

Anyways, I hope this provides a little more clarity. I don't mean to defend the actions of anyone, just providing some context for those that wish to read. South Jersey Disc Golf is a club full of great people who volunteer their tails off to maintain one of the best courses in the region, and I hope that those that have visited Stafford Woods and met our volunteer crew would attest to that. If you haven't visited, we hope to see you soon!

Until then, Happy Discin!

Last edited:
A phone number for our lead volunteer (who had absolutely nothing to do with the sign) was posted online, and he received an absolutely absurd amount of private messages and calls over an issue he had no part in.

So it sounds like No Brodie's was the correct decision.

Yeah, the sign was a very poor idea ... and BSmith should have replied directly to the staff first to get it taken care of...

Things to learn from for sure. Social Media makes it way to early to post and make a statement before thinking things through.

Latest posts