• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Colorado Road Trip Help. Mountain Bomb!

discoholic

Par Member
We are planning our annual road trip. Colorado this time. Planning to hit the hot spots around Denver and central Colorado. The problem is that we're driving 12hr to play disc golf in the mountains and I can't find a course with a super crazy down hill shot. We want to launch one and watch it fly 1000'+. Help.

Also, we are coming from St. Louis, so any ideas on what to play along Hwy 70 in Kansas (Thomas Park?) or Hwy 80 in Nebraska (Cottonmill or Hummel?).

Another great part of the road trip is local food. We found fried asperagus in Michigan, cheese curds in Wisconsin and the hot brown in South Carolina... What should we look for in Colorado or Kansas/Nebraska?

Hummel and cottonmill are both good stops! As for a downhill bomb, I'm sure the locals know which courses got em' . If you wanna drive a little further west you could play solitude. Hole 18 is a 1219ft downhill bomb. And I don't know what's up with the green chili out there in Colorado but I gotta get me some more.
I heard the Rocky Mountain oysters are fantastic.;)

Tommy Knocker Brewery is like 5 miles from Ghost town!!! Good Grub and good beer.

Fronteir Park in Hays off 70 is fun and mid way between Kansas City and Denver.

Colorado Food, green chillis on or in everything and lots of breweries with great food and drink.

I didn't see when you are planning the trip. Denver is still getting snow late in the season, many of the ski hill courses may not be open yet. From looking through on here it seems like many of the ski hill courses are not that great, other than the one or two shots down the mountian.

I'm gonna 2nd or 3rd or 4th or whatever checking out the local breweries. Many have food as well. Haven't seen any super downhills in the courses I have played in CO. I guess hole 1 and 18 at Bailey are pretty solid for downhills.

Beaver Ranch has 2 downhill holes but they aren't that huge. Be carefull what you ask for, between the breweries and thin air are you sure you want to walk up a mountain just to throw a disc back down....

I moved to Colorado in November and my local course still kicks my butt. I have to take a rest at #10.

I'm moving to Denver next month and I can't wait to get winded after playing a few holes. Last time I was in Denver I had altitude sickness the entire trip. I'm sure i'll acclimate fine, but I'm sure it'll take a while before I can do 5 courses in a day without even a rest.

I'm dead center in the CO Rockies near Vail and, honestly, we don't really have any 1,000 ft. downhill rips up here. Sure, there are plenty of sweet downhill throws, especially at the resort courses, but a hole that long doesn't really exist in my area (at least that I've played).

However, if you're passing through on I-70 and want a guide at any of our local courses, let me know.

Also, if you're doing the whole brewery thing check out Crazy Mountain in Edwards, CO (my hometown) and Bonfire Brewing down in Eagle.

Here is our club Facebook page if you want to keep up with the local activities.

Tommy Knocker Brewery is like 5 miles from Ghost town!!! Good Grub and good beer.

:thmbup: Idaho Springs FTW! Tommy Knocker's and BeauJo's pizza is a match made in heaven.

Spent a few years out there in college before coming back to Michigan. But my brother is still out there and I make sure to spend a week or two out in Colorado every year. I miss the mountains.

Didn't stumble into any "mountain bombs" during my last vacay, but did play quite a few courses. One that was really fun to play was Jellystone Park, just make sure you see the Ranger before heading out to play. $5.00 for a day pass and the course is a blast, up, down and around mountains and hills. Heck, I think they even offer goats to do caddy work. :hfive: Just off of I-25 near Castle Rock, cant miss it.

Definitely hit up some of the many local breweries out there for some great beers. Good luck!

...the biggest (or longest) off the top of a mountain shot I've played was at Sipapu ski hill in New Mexico.

If you happen to be near Crested Butte, Co., the 10-3 @ CB course is an excellent mountain course, with one hole over 800'. And, you can't go wrong spending a little time in that little town. I spent 14 years there, and I miss it every day.

Best green chile in Denver would be at the Brewery Bar on So. Kalamath. Get it over the chile rellenos, but get it half and half, unless you can handle super hot (spicy) food, i'm not joking. Unfortunately, the Brewery Bar is not actually a brewery, but there are plenty within a 3 or 4 mile radius.

Timing is a big deal, none of the mountain courses will be open until June (and maybe later) as we have had significant snowfall this past month.

Since you are road-tripping I suggest going on HWY 285 through the mountains. This gives you access to a few amazing courses and the best mountain views in Colorado:

- Beaver Ranch (a couple big awesome bombs, nothing at 1,000 ft but still fun): http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=2488

- Bailey (not sure when official opening will be as it is a seasonal course) (and has three amazing bomb shots): http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=4730

Also in the area are several other courses that you should check out that are private courses you can reserve a head of time:
- Phantom Falls: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3129
- Magic Meadows: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=5503

You could spend a couple days in this area alone and there are some hotel's and some camping in the area.Then move along to Crested Butte for the 10-3 @ CB (I haven't played it but Crested Butte is the best mountain town in Colorado for amazing views, great people, awesome outdoor activities and lots of free camping everywhere). From here you could venture north back to I-70 and play a few courses on your way out (Aspen, Vail, Frisco).

Close to Denver you might want to check out Jellystone if the weather is not super-hot: http://www.dgcoursereview.com/course.php?id=3874

I have a few high-quality photos here: http://andylibrande.com/news/disc-golf/

But here are a few to wet the appetite:

Bailey Hole #1 (700ft):
hole1.jpg

Beaver Ranch #16 (420 ft):
2011-06-21_19-52-12_39-3.jpg

Jellystone:
20120925-DSC_0455.jpg

Thank you all for your help so far. We are planning on June or July. For us the must plays are:
Beaver Ranch
Phantom Falls
Ghost Town
Bailey
10-3
The maybes
Winter park, Colorado Mnt College (x2?), Thomas, Cottonmill, Hummel.

THANX TO YOU
TheWGC
1219 ft, gotta look at Solitude
I'l try the green chili, you eat rockey mnt oysters
Shuie
Tommy Knocker will be a great stop after Ghost Town
giles
Thanx for the update on the snow, but i'm not gna make to New Mexico
discNDav
But it was so fun to watch it fly and fly and fly and lost, am i right
mndisg
Bailey is already on the list, gotta play this one
giles
ya i do
Dafforn
****, 2 maybe 3 a day
Klay
I gna hit u up in a week or 3
GoldenThrower
I am so down to have a goat carry my bag
Jeffmonty
10-3 is on the list. Gotta check out the Brewery Bar in Kalamath.
andylirande
I've seen your photos b4. I'll check out the courses off hwy 285. Your pics are great. I take pics of every hole i play on road trips.

HAPPY DISCING EVERYONE

Right on man. Hit me up for sure. I work M-F, 9-5 but if I have a the time I'd be happy to show you around the area.

If you make it down to Crested Butte, there's a nice 18 hole course right on your way in Poncha Springs. Keep in mind the Butte is a little over 3 1/2 hrs. from Denver. Also, although i've not yet played them, the Colorado Mtn. College courses are excellent from what i've heard.

This is making me want to take a trip to Colorado. :hfive:

Latest posts