• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] Compass midrange

Any advice on plastic and weight stabilities?

In my opinion, these are absolutely perfect in Opto. I'm normally a big fan of Gold Line, but with this mold I have no desire to try another plastic, unless they release them in Zero Hard.

Stability seems to start the same across different weights in Opto, and the wear is pretty gradual. I've been throwing my oldest one for second shots and pretty aggresively in the woods to see how it beats in, and so far it glides more and fades less. It'll hold an anny for longer now, most of the way to the ground when thrown on a higher line, but it's got a long way to go before it gets understable or flippy.

In conclusion to my long winded discussion, if you're looking to start a cycle a little quicker, maybe grab a lightweight Gold Line and see what it does for you, but if you want to do it all with one mid or have other slots filled with different molds, I'd recommended an Opto, 175-180.

I held a Compass today and it is very comfortable in the hand. Out of curiosity, are those of you who bag the Compass pairing it up with something like the Verdict for windy days (seems to have a similar feel in the hand) or is the Compass beefy enough to hold up on its own?

I'm pairing my Compasses with Bards. Works great. I used Verdicts before but I think the Bard and the compass feels more similar.

I find the compass more stable than the Warship. The Warship is longer but doesn't like headwind at all, more HST for the Warship. I bought the compass hoping for something between Truth and Verdict - unfortunately it is less overstable than a Wysocki signature disc would suggest.

Moonshine is going to get my money. I'll pick one up at max weight and another lighter one to see if I can replace my out of favor 400' mids (truths.)

Thanks for the feedback on plastic. Moonshine and Opto have been pretty close in my experience.

*edit : there are no lighter weights in moonshine right now, so I'll probably pick up a lighter one in Opto.

My compass is 175 and I'm really clicking with it. I ordered another 179. No high speed turn, surprisingly long and easy to throw but powers down better than most mids for me.

My Opto and gold line fly almost identical. I think the gold has a touch less glide.

perfect i started with a gold line and less glide sounds great for what i need in the bag. can't wait til i get off work today to toss the compass around at my local pitch and putt.

The compass wow. A disc I didn't know I needed before I threw it. Absolutely what I was looking for point and shoot but not touchy. Got a few hard rips with it in the field as well, dead nuts straight for me and I was surprised to see them sailing around 300. This will be a welcome addition to my bag to compliment the bard I'm working with.

Same here, I was stuck on cryztal buzzzes but wanted something different they were just too straight. I'm getting great distance with the compass even though I don't really try to throw it hard. It's shooting out of my hand and it's so clean on release. Holds any angle. Hole 15 at my home course 279 blind anhyzer from the tee, I hit left side chains yesterday and the right side of the top band today. I also got a bard in a trade. Buzzz os just dumped for me and the bard holds a long sweeping fade. Overstable but not a meathook at all. Great combo.

Got to give a shout to the GL compass it's a strait flier I'm really excited for the moonshine. Right now I'm pairing them with a beat bio justice and a OS beast off an moonshine justice to make a beautiful one two punch.

Just watched the round 1 from St Jude and noticed how Ricky could really have used some more stability on hole 15 into the headwind.
https://youtu.be/HkbSmrlpxYQ?t=13m16s

Will threw a M2 on a frozen rope and Ricky had to put a lot of hyzer into the Compass which still turned way over. It would've been nice to see how the Verdict would have handled that shot.

Will threw a M2 on a frozen rope and Ricky had to put a lot of hyzer into the Compass which still turned way over. It would've been nice to see how the Verdict would have handled that shot.

Ricky still knew that shot very well though, just threw it slightly too low.

Ricky still knew that shot very well though, just threw it slightly too low.
I bet Ricky threw the exact shot he wanted to. The disc just turned more than he expected which cost him some distance and a birdie.

In any case, that shot is surely not the most consistent one in those conditions and a more stable mid would've been better. I also doubt that Roc3 (the main comparison for Compass) would've turned as much.

So at the end, I was a bit disappointed to see the shot turn out as it did. Not what you expect from a workhorse mid.

I bet Ricky threw the exact shot he wanted to. The disc just turned more than he expected which cost him some distance and a birdie.

Maybe not. In his commentary in the video of the last round of the Memorial, Ricky said several times that a shot here and there was not exactly what he wanted. Even the very best occasionally miss their intended lines.

In any case, that shot is surely not the most consistent one in those conditions and a more stable mid would've been better. I also doubt that Roc3 (the main comparison for Compass) would've turned as much.

So at the end, I was a bit disappointed to see the shot turn out as it did. Not what you expect from a workhorse mid.

The Opto Compass is definitely not very overstable. Still a great disc, though...

Latest posts