• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DG Vocab List - Fun or Catchy Terms

Rim job - when what looks like a good putt hits off the rim of the basket. I also sometimes uses this for a putt that goes in without hitting chains.

Tree hate - when you hit a tree and get a bad kick.

Tree love - when you hit a tree and improve your shot.

:thmbup: to makin' minis, that's pretty good! I'm trying to think of more fun lingo we use but I'm drawing a blank... I'll have to come back and post when I think of something goofy

Rim job - when what looks like a good putt hits off the rim of the basket. I also sometimes uses this for a putt that goes in without hitting chains.

Tree hate - when you hit a tree and get a bad kick.

Tree love - when you hit a tree and improve your shot.

:thmbup: to makin' minis, that's pretty good! I'm trying to think of more fun lingo we use but I'm drawing a blank... I'll have to come back and post when I think of something goofy

Mostly I get tree hate, although there have been a few times where the tree prevented my disc from making a suicidal turn into never never land. My TL did a Paul Bunyon on a tree at Squirrel Creek. 6 throws, 6 chops into a giant oak. TL was just fine. :D

ok maybe I can get a couple of old questions answered here.

I've seen threads (in different sub forums) that usually go something like: "We were teeing off but a bunch of "suits" were being jerks, they yelled "MY LIFE" as I tee'd off."

what the hell does it mean when:

people or disc golfers are referred to as "suits"

and what is the whole "MY LIFE" business?? What does it mean?

treejected/treejection or treenied are fairly common.

others that i like or fancy myself as having made up even though i'm sure someone else has said them first.

treesus, a noun - the tree that miraculously has redirected your shot perfectly or saved you from going OB/into the rough.

as in treesus saves/praise be to treesus.

tree rex - the tree that has just eaten your disc.

Last edited:
ok maybe I can get a couple of old questions answered here.

I've seen threads (in different sub forums) that usually go something like: "We were teeing off but a bunch of "suits" were being jerks, they yelled "MY LIFE" as I tee'd off."

what the hell does it mean when:

people or disc golfers are referred to as "suits"

and what is the whole "MY LIFE" business?? What does it mean?

They're referencing a whole thread that wound up in the landfill.
It's hard to explain, but basically a geography joke.

...you had to be there. ;)

Oh, and the first season I heard "making minis", I saw someone's upshot land on top of another's disc. They dropped the making minis line, and I said it was unlikely. It was a Vibram putter.

Last edited:
We call shots that miraculously make it past trees or other obstacles, "Sneaky Pete's" or "Sneaky Petes's hot sauce". I think there is a restaurant chain called that down in the Southern U.S. somewhere that one of my buddies visited on vacation. Sometimes we just say "pete" or "hot sauce" to shorten it.

A short-ish putt to us is a "barbeque putt" or "pork steak putt". That comes from my friend's tendency to barbeque in his back yard while he is practicing putting on his portable. It's basically a putt that should be automatic, like practicing in the back yard.

Back in the day any shot that kicked straight down off a tree was a "Dwight Howard". Probably could update the reference and bring that one back.

We say "get skinny!" When a disc is headed towards a bunch of trees. Obviously hoping to get through.

Also we recently started saying invisilimbs in reference to limbs that you can't see that slap your disc down when you thought you had a clear flight path.

Here's one that has been mentioned by other names, but the group I throw with call hitting the yellow ring at the top of the basket and falling to the ground a PIKEY

and if you've seen the movie "Snatch", you know "we hate fu**ing Pikeys"

When someone hits the pole I'll say, "old school" referring to when we use to play the game with poles instead of baskets.

This is the closest thread I can find for my question: What is the etymology of the term "star frame"? It seems everyone, everywhere uses this term, and understands its meaning, but where does it come from? It's common to hear the derivative term "star par" when everyone pars on the card; however, that didn't make sense to me, so I started using the term "par frame," I don't know why, it just sounded better to me. It then occurred to me that I have no idea why the term star frame is what it is. Any ideas...?

Latest posts