• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

DGCR iPhone/iPod App - What would you pay?

What's the most you would pay for an app w/ DGCR course search / scoring integration?

• $2.99

Votes: 27 25.7%
  • $3.99

Votes: 14 13.3%
  • $4.99

Votes: 29 27.6%
  • $5.99

Votes: 13 12.4%
  • $6.99

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • $7.99

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • $8.99

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • $9.99

Votes: 6 5.7%
  • Other (Please specify)

Votes: 12 11.4%

• Total voters
From what I've read so far, it seems like an actual app would be a risky proposition. I'm leaning towards making a mobile version of certain site features optimized for smart phones. Something a little nicer than the current mobile site which I purposely made very basic so it would work on any phone out there.

I'm an iphone user and I'd happy to pay $4.99. Hell, I'd probably pay $9.99 too, just to know I was helping the site, but I wouldn't be as happy about it.

I am an android user, so I did not vote. However, if you ever went the Android route:

If the app loaded my score, as well as my card's score to DGCR (for those who have an account) I would pay $10.

If it only loaded my score, I would pay $5

If you had a basic scoring app with a nice interface for free and offered the course listing for a price I would buy in.

One thing I would really like is a way to track what disc I drove with on a hole. Adding a disc by company listing coupled with being able to add what disc you drove with would be interesting and I haven't seen it before. You need to include multiplayer scoring of course. Tracking my scores over time and comparing rounds in the spring to the fall would be really nice.

How many sales at what price would be needed to make it practicle.

Very helpful

This is very helpful information.
I'm wondering if anyone would be interested in a reoccurring price model?
Would you be willing to pay $1 a month if the app was was awesome?

Personally, I wouldn't use it, but I can't say it's a bad idea.

My guess is there wouldn't be enough folks who actually pay to make it economically feasible for you.

gotta have a DROID version too! you got some competition out there with the scorecard thing. its called easy scorecard on the droid market...its free but has a upgradeable version.

I would buy your app in a second...if it got the thought that this site did.

excellent go for it.

I think a snazzy mobile-optimized version of the scorecard and perhaps other areas of the site is a much smarter approach, that way it works on all app phones.

That said, if you're playing a remote course you're out of luck, but there are generic scorecard apps for those situations I suppose.

I know I find myself adding my scores here less and less because it's kind of a hassle to copy them from my scorecard app. And I'm lazy :)

id pay for it... i use my ipod for a scorecard right now but it doesnt intergrate with this site... that really would be great that it could keep all my stats from different courses.... it would really be great if it could calculate the pars for the layout your playing on any given course.... this is already the best golf site on the web.. that would just make it better.... you might want to look at doing ads for other golf sites on there to split the overhead a little

Expose some kind of webservice API and let others handle the app making.
This seems like a great idea. I found this thread while looking for some kind of API on this site. Unfortunately the only way to make money from this would be to charge for access to the API, or have the particular program also use the website ads to add to that revenue. The awesome part would be that different people could integrate the site access to existing programs.

Someone mentioned Easy Scorecard on the Android market. I use the pro version of this program and it is awesome. The developer is very responsive to bugs and feature requests and I would pay easily 5x what the pro version of the app costs ($.99) if it included DGCourseReview score submitting.

With scorekeeping, I'd pay for this for sure. I was in Roundrock recently and it was tough to transition from the map on here to my google map on the iphone, had trouble copying and pasting the coordinates from the site to the google app. If I had an app that I'd be able to use the Current location on the iphone to find nearby courses, browse reviews, then load a scorecard that would have distances, pars, tees already programmed in, I'd pay for that for sure.
This site is my go to place for DG information, and if I had an easy to use quality app to get this info, Hell ya. I use a ball golf scorekeeper now, you have to manually load all the information for a given course into it, then it keeps score pretty well, but to go to a random course you've never played, it's just a scorecard on an expensive phone. Make me an app that would do these things, and I'll pay 5-10 for it, just cause I've been through other scorekeepers and even paid for them to find out that they suck. I'll get my girlfriend to buy it, and probably a few co-workers if it does these things. When you're on a new course you're unfamiliar with and you can hit a couple buttons, find a map, input your score and see what the distance on the next hole is, that's greatness, and it's worth something. Please make this app, don't over complicate it, just put the needed features:
search the map for nearby courses or search by other locations
scorecard downloaded from this database with distances and pars
maps/files that are uploaded here accessible
score input

If it found my lost discs with the GPS of my iPhone, I'd pay a hell of a lot :)

This is a FANTASTIC idea Tim! I think a fair price would be $5 bucks but if the price was $10 and it got decent feedback, I'd still buy it.. It seems like a very useful idea! Especially the score card option! I'd have a dead battery all the time with the amount I play...

I'm tired of everyone just targeting the iPhone. If you are going to make an app, make it for the 4 main phone OSs on the market. iPhone, Droid, Blackberry and Windows. If you don't make it for all 4 then you are losing a major market audience. It would probably be easier to make a mobile site that all can use.

I voted $2.99, but you drive a hard bargan, tim, so I would go as high as $4.99. I'm really cheap though.

I'm tired of everyone just targeting the iPhone. If you are going to make an app, make it for the 4 main phone OSs on the market. iPhone, Droid, Blackberry and Windows. If you don't make it for all 4 then you are losing a major market audience. It would probably be easier to make a mobile site that all can use.

iPhones account for more than 30% of the smartphone market and over half of the app market. people target it because it is by far the largest market segment and it's the best place to start. I'm pretty sure that the coding is different for each OS, but I could be wrong on that part.

Unfortunately, that is at the very minimum 4 times the amount of work. The code is not portable, the toolkits are different (and in some cases expensive). The extra effort required to develop and maintain 4 separate code bases wouldn't make up for compromises required to maintain feature parity or the supposed extra sales by supporting other platforms.