• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Coverage REinvented - FLYBOY video

bhuff

Double Eagle Member
I was reading local DG forum and found this clip Kelly has put together. I took this last quote from Kelly Leggette final review of his course,

"Think little flying robots with gyro stabilized HD video cameras, bringing disc golf to the world in a way it's never been seen before. Think I'm kidding? We're already on it."

...Oh and this is what you have been missing if you never made it down to FLYBOY.

I think this video coverage is amazing and brings a whole new aspect of the spectator part to the sport, this might be what we need to get more recognition. enjoy

http://vimeo.com/34981126

There's some real potential there, I would love to see more video like this.

They do this for big snowboard videos. I have been saying this is the way DG is ment to be seen since I started playing. Its about time someone did it. I went to video production school and they did a good job for a trial run. Now they need to go one step farther.

That is really cool perspective for DG! Love it!

I wonder how loud the "little flying robots with gyro stabilized HD video cameras" are. I can see them working great for things like biking and skiing and other extreme sports, but I would think they would need to be very loud and distracting for disc golfers. Maybe this could be done for DG with some sort of balloon/blimp mounted camera, but a helicopter must be pretty loud.

.....and Kelly raises the d--- bar, once again!

Wonder what the rental charges on those choppers are?

That is really cool perspective for DG! Love it!

I wonder how loud the "little flying robots with gyro stabilized HD video cameras" are. I can see them working great for things like biking and skiing and other extreme sports, but I would think they would need to be very loud and distracting for disc golfers. Maybe this could be done for DG with some sort of balloon/blimp mounted camera, but a helicopter must be pretty loud.

They are not that loud but they do make some noise. I have played with one before (as the camera Controller) they need two people to run them. One to fly and one to film. A cable cam could do a good job if it was out of the way enough so it was not in the fairway. Cable cams are much cheaper as well.

.....and Kelly raises the d--- bar, once again!

Wonder what the rental charges on those choppers are?

They cost a $h!t load to rent and you better be good at flying a remote control chopper because the rig is super spendy and if you break it you buy it.

^ that rig dose not have a gyro so the camera is locked but it would be almost silent.

I don't know that the noise would be too distracting, since it's a steady noise. I've played near freeways where the roar of traffic meant you had to almost shout to converse. It didn't affect play, just the pleasure.

I'd like to see someone piloting those things on some tight wooded holes around here.

Regardless, I've found all the disc golf videos I've watched to be tedious at best. THIS is the way to video disc golf.

Unfortunately there is no were near the amount of money involved in the sport to make this viable yet. You would need someone to do if for next to nothing. Some of the really expencive rigs cost well over what I make in a year and how whould you ever get your investment back if you were to biuld one?

Cgkdisc I would love to see the final product from that link. If you could build one for around $2000 it might be worth it. That does not include the camera equipment and I don't think you could build one that cheap with a gyro.

I've always said that one thing (if not the biggest thing) that stands in the way of DG going mainstream is its watchability. If these devices make DG watchable and entertaining from your armchair on Saturday afternoon, that opens up a whole new world of possibilities...

Love that footage. I could watch dg videos like that all day.

Latest posts