• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Disc Golf Coverage REinvented - FLYBOY video

He told me about this a longg time ago, nice to see it happen.

****ing awesome.

I have seen them fly this copter and it is pretty amazing. A little noisy but nothing you couldn't ignore. Keep it up Kelly! Lets see some tracking shots down the fairway!

Let's get me and scott out there for the ultimate duel :|

Oh yeah, I know everyone wants to see that :cool:

Wow! That's awesome! If they could get a few of those in the air to get multiple angles it would be just perfect!

I love the concept, but I wish the camera operator could do a better job of focusing his attention on the disc rather than the player. I don't know if this is a limitation of the technology or a stylistic decision, but the disc's flight down the fairway is much more interesting to me than the player's posture after he releases the disc.

Like this:

Last edited:
I'm sure they are working on that. I don't think they copters could get up to speed to follow the disc unless it was already going at speed, and if the copter was down fairway it might have a chance of being hit or something. I think this was just a feeler video they were putting together.

You can do a little more with changing direction etc. with those wire cameras they use at nfl games than you could with the rc helicopter, but I bet with some practice and experience you could still get some cool views that show a little more of the disc flight.

I'm sure they are working on that. I don't think they copters could get up to speed to follow the disc unless it was already going at speed, and if the copter was down fairway it might have a chance of being hit or something. I think this was just a feeler video they were putting together.

Yeah the biggest risk to me would be crashing the aircraft, either by getting in the way of a disc's flight or by loss of control. I would HATE to see an innocent bystander get injured by a crashing model aircraft that was brought in to video the event. Those things put a lot of RPMs on their rotors, and the blades aren't soft. Whatever it takes to avoid that risk is worth foregoing flashy footage. It may be that the wire cameras are both safer and more capable. No idea of the relative cost.

I'm thinking a private course designed for championship play with a network of permanently installed, solar powered wireless cameras mounted up on posts and in trees will be the way to get better aerial coverage down the road. I could see the IDGC eventually doing something like that on the Jackson course.

IF there is enough money, getting good coverage is not a problem. A golf ball is much smaller and faster than a disc, yet there is no problem covering them in flight. Producing, directing, editing and filming disc golf would be no problem at all if money was no object. Alas, money is simply not present in our sport. That's not a bad thing. It's very inexpensive to play disc golf. I personally don't think that should change.

I was at flyboy when they were testing this and it is awesome! The only thing is, it would be kind of loud for tournaments. But you have to be an expert at flying a remote control helicopter. You could film some awesome drives with this thing!

Didn't read the whole thread but me and olemiss5931 were there together and that thing is amazing. The only problem he mentioned was the battery life but they were wiling out kinks in the system. Thi would be a big step forward for disc golf coverage. Good job Kelly and the Flyboy disc golf family!

I've though about getting an RC heli with a camera, but they are a bit limited in terms of battery and camera, and following a disc, or getting hit by disc if already in the fairway. I'd love to see this become feasible. Maybe mini blimps are a better option with good PTZ.

This was my other idea, to put the cameras on the discs, it's not perfect but my thought was to just get a vid flying through the fairway and edit it into the vid:
http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=47544

Wow, this thread is dated. I am currently working on a quadcopter video rig to film tournaments and course flyovers. Here is the first video I shot on a VERY windy day at Iroquois Park in Louisville KY. I have 2 cameras mounted on my quad, and am working out the video sync issues and stabilization. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/svG1kuhR8Fc

Wow, this thread is dated. I am currently working on a quadcopter video rig to film tournaments and course flyovers. Here is the first video I shot on a VERY windy day at Iroquois Park in Louisville KY. I have 2 cameras mounted on my quad, and am working out the video sync issues and stabilization. Let me know what you think.

http://youtu.be/svG1kuhR8Fc

This has real potential, but to be honest I couldn't watch more than one minute of this video. Once you work out the stabilization and film on a calm day, it should improve greatly.

I would pay good money to watch this on a huge screen... Very exciting. I always thought DG would be boring on TV without a good way to capture the entire flight of a flying disc.