• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Discs you don't like the feel of

TerryTuffskins

Par Member
Certain well reputed discs just feel wrong in my hand:

Leopard
Teebird
Roc

They just feel uncomfortable in my hand.

Are there discs you that just don't fit your hand?

Don't work: KC Aviar, McPro Aviar, any champ putter, Boss

most comfortable: Core, Teebird, Outlaw, Firebird, Maul, old Pro Line Rhynos

Deep dish putters aren't for me, Wizard especially. The Gator equates to grip lock, as well. Anything too wide, like boss and nuke, are quite uncomfortable as well. Not much for the harp either.

On the other hand, the Envy is the best power grip feeling Putter, IMO. The truth/verdict feel excellent as well. Like the shallow feel.

Speed 12+ drivers. The Tern was one that I could never get a good feel for because of the larger rim width and shallow feel. Every now and again I'd get a great rip with it but never found consistency. I can bigger distance with my Blizzard Wraith.

Beaded putters have always felt awful with my putting grip. I spent years putting with KC Aviars and Bangers but once I got away from them I can't go back to the bead.

Deep dish putters also don't feel right. I used McPro Aviars for most of this past year. I did pretty well with them. They have great flight but couldn't lock down that consistency because of the larger depth.

Colt, Stud, and most beadless putters

I also hate most shallow rimmed drivers. My fat meat hooks can't hang on to them.

The Tern feels terrible to me, Predators and the Wizard and Magnets are tough too.

PD? Envy? Comet? H1?

To be honest, I could work with any of these. The Comet initially felt weird but grew on me and I don't see it leaving the bag in the foreseeable future. I simply wasn't desperate enough to make the others work since I either had other discs for the spot (H1 and PD) or didn't need the disc (Envy). For what it's worth, the Comet no longer feels bad, and getting it to work for me improved my grip on all discs.

The ROC feels odd to me but then I like the feel of a Wasp a very similar disc though I can't throw either of them. I use 2 Shark a Star and a old Pro plastic both 175 grams a ROC for lesser arm speeds. I think that the wing of the ROC has a bead on the disc and the Wasp does not. I also Do not like the feel of the Pole Cat as the part where the wing meets the top is to sharp, sad as it was the right kind of Lid putter back when I use the soft Elite X Putt'r and was looking for a harder version of the Putt'r, Glide was lacking once the Putt'r got broke in and puddle topped as those only came in soft Elite X, just hated the part where the wing meets the top. I now use Magnets as they have the same glide as a polecat just feel natural in my hand.

Last edited:
Another disc I have always Hated was the OS Avenger, like the other two just the OS version has a wing that is too flat and deep to feel right. I also do not like the Gumputt models or Blowfly models as the discs plastic make those discs too hard to use.

I echo the sentiments on deep putters. Don't like them. Use to putt with the Magnet. I never clicked with it.

As a side note, shallower putters that I like:

Pilot
Pure
Atom
Proxy

Out of those, I putt and approach with the Pilot. The Pure use to be my go to.

Buzzz...tried it in the X and the Buzzz SS in the Z...neither one felt good!

TripleB

I understand, Do not like the OS model in the hand. Discraft had to make the disc feel too wide a rim compared to the Buzz or Buzz SS models.

Just remembered I hated the feel of the Roach when it came out as that Lid style disc has a dome on the top that makes it odd then the rim height is too shallow to feel comfortable for me. I was also using the Magnet since 2006.

Groove or Monarch. The groove on the bottom of the disc feels like crap in your hand. Plus, the Groove seems very deep for a driver. Simply doesn't feel right in your hand at all.

Avenger. the bottom edge seems sharp. Never developed a taste for that disc.

Any driver with a convex rim, like new mold Beasts or the Roadrunner. They feel weird to hold.

Latest posts