• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?

Hit a 162' ace on hole 1 at Pohick Bay the week before the Laurel Springs, NC Tournament in 1988.
Spencer Thurman told me "That will be a good putt to save par next week".

"Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?"

Is it a strike if you use two balls to knock down all the pins?

Nice way of putting it! The question about getting an ace but missing the mando is DEEP! haha If I missed the mando on accident and got an ace on my first throw I would probably count it, only because it would be my first ace. If it was in a tournament or during league I obviously could not count it. But I would still freak out and be soo happy and write on the back "missed mando ace" haha!

also from what i understand by the rule book you cant re-tee an o.b. unless it lost. The rule states it can be moved to the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc .

Yeah, that's one of those idiocyncracies in the rules that are confusing. The poor wording makes you think that re-tee is disallowed but the intent of the rule is to allow a rethrow from the previous lie, wherever it was. They specify how to determine the previous lie from throws subsequent to the tee-off, but in doing so, make it sound like it can *only* be taken from a throw subsequent to the tee-off. It's widely accepted that a re-tee is allowed.

Not the King

I'm sorry, but I dont think 90% of Cubbys aces should count! He sets the camera up, and keeps throwing t-shots until he makes it in..

I totally agree. I posted a similiar comment after your because I didn't read all the posts. Cubby is not the king of aces! He is the king of mulligans

Yeah, that's one of those idiocyncracies in the rules that are confusing. The poor wording makes you think that re-tee is disallowed but the intent of the rule is to allow a rethrow from the previous lie, wherever it was. They specify how to determine the previous lie from throws subsequent to the tee-off, but in doing so, make it sound like it can *only* be taken from a throw subsequent to the tee-off. It's widely accepted that a re-tee is allowed.
its pretty straight foward , it says from the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or from within one meter of where it went out. If you want to throw from the previous lie but its not marked its up to the majority of the group to decide where you throw from not you , so you can only re-tee by the groups decision.

I totally agree. I posted a similiar comment after your because I didn't read all the posts. Cubby is not the king of aces! He is the king of mulligans
if you look at his vids he calls them holes in ones most of the time, but yet he adds them to his ace count :rolleyes:

no doubt hes shot some real aces but if you look at the courses hes throwing 00s technology at holes that might of been obsolete in the 70s

Here's a funny one:

During Saturday's first round of the Top of Texas Open, a player threw a tee shot from #13's BLUE TEE and hit one of the first trees in the fairway. His shot bounced off the tree and landed in the dirt touching the concrete tee pad for the #13 WHITE TEE. The rest of the group stood behind the tee pad and watched him throw his next shot into the basket! It sure felt like watching an ACE run and it got the crowd excited with high 5's all around. Then the reality set in and the excitement turned into subdued smirks about "What Could Have Been".

I'm always scared when I throw a second tee shot on a reachable hole that it will go in. Why be scared? Because I would hate to waste a perfect shot on a throw that doesn't count. Someone previously said they would yell and scream and jump up and down (after making a second/third/whatever shot in). Not me, I would be pissed that I don't get to count that one.
An ace is only your first shot off the tee, no exceptions.

First time I ever saw an ace was on a hole that had a very sharp mando that forced the throws to fall right (RHFH). The shot missed the mando (a tree) some how missed all the other trees and skipped in. With us all being fairly new at the time (this was YEARS ago) we counted it without question. now that I've been around a while I question whether we would do the same today. I wouldn't take an ace away from a noob or ruin his moment, but I'm wondering what the (how can I say this right?) Disc Snobs on here would say about it. :p

I am as yet undecided if it were to happen to me at this point. I have one, so it's not like it would be as important as if it were my first. If it were my first, I would count it without a doubt.

I guess a better question would be what if this happened in a tournament, what would the TD score the hole as? A one shot, plus a one shot penalty or does the penalty get negated because the disc never came to rest after missing the mando?

its pretty straight foward , it says from the previous lie as evidenced by the marker disc or from within one meter of where it went out. If you want to throw from the previous lie but its not marked its up to the majority of the group to decide where you throw from not you , so you can only re-tee by the groups decision.

This from the Q&A on the PDGA site:

Reteeing after an OB drive
Question: Erik Robinson of Lansing, MI writes: "I am questioning why a person who enters a hazard (e.g. any disc thrown into an area designated as out-of-bounds (O.B.), such as an O.B. river or pond) would have to throw the disc within 1 meter from where it crossed into the O.B. area? Why can't he/she be able to take one penalty stroke and re-drive from the pad?"

Response: Applicable rules: 803.09 B (Out-of-Bounds), 804.01 (Special Conditions)

Dear Erik: Normally in this case, the player CAN re-drive from the tee if he/she so chooses. The player actually has 3 options after throwing his/her tee shot OB:

1) The player can choose to play the disc from the previous lie. The previous lie in this case is the tee pad.

2) The player can play from a spot up to 1 meter from where the point the player's tee shot was last in-bounds.

3) The player can play from within a designated Drop Zone, if the TD (Tournament Director) has designated one for this hole.

Each of these options carries a one-throw penalty. The TD can also limit any or all of these options as a special condition under rule 804.01.

Someone earlier compared it to home runs. That's a good comparison. If you're screwing around playing Home Run Derby and you hit one out after whiffing three times first it's a home run. If you're just screwing around at the disc golf course and throw a second shot in from the tee it's an ace. If it's in a tournament or a league round then it's not. The rules depend on what game you're playing. Casual play gets treated differently.

It doesn't affect me either way. My two aces came on first shots from the tee. And I don't count aces I have gotten on object courses as real aces.

I guess a better question would be what if this happened in a tournament, what would the TD score the hole as? A one shot, plus a one shot penalty or does the penalty get negated because the disc never came to rest after missing the mando?

Whichever penalty came first would take precedence.

"Do aces count if they aren't your first throw?"

Is it a strike if you use two balls to knock down all the pins?

Here's another thought on the bowling example -- on my first try on the frame, I gutter-ball and get nothing. So, I step up for my second try, and knock down all the pins. I did the same thing as what is called a strike, but because it did not happen on the 1st ball, it is called a spare. Same result (all 10 pins down with 1 ball), but not a strike. I can do that on all the frames, and guess what, even though I knocked every single pin presented to me, it's not a perfect "300" game because I had one (or more) balls that did not hit anything.

Likewise, I can take a 2nd tee shot on every hole on a DG course (we'll say all holes are 350' or less) and put every single one into the chains, but I don't get to mark a total score of 18 on my card at the end of the day. Can I say that I hit chains on every single hole on that course -- most definitely. But I would not walk around saying I got 18 aces, because they were not throws for score.

I think it just comes down to everyone's own interpretation of what's allowed during casual play. Some people, like myself, take casual play just as serious as they would if they were playing in a league or tourney. By this, I mean I place strict adherence to the rules of the game on myself. If I'm playing casually with a group of people that are lax with the rules of the game, then by all means that's their prerogative to play how they want, with/without rules or bending the rules to suit their needs. I'm certainly not going to call them out on something or deny them what they want because it doesn't meet my standards. First and foremost casual play is all about having fun.

I just believe that the only way that I can know for any certainty that my game is improving is if I play correctly 100% of the time. If I'm not honest with myself and my game, then I'm only playing to a level of mediocrity.

Haven't read all the replies, but I would say without a doubt "No" it's not an Ace.

You could stand at a super short hole all day and try to rack up "aces" if that counted.

An ace to me has to be within a round, and your first throw from the tee. That said, I don't see the big deal either way. If he counts it as an ace, he should have to "qualify" it to whomever he tells that he got an ace there. ("I aced it, but it was my fifth throw") IMO

i would count it for an ace i mean u did throw it from the tee pad and as long as u play your first disc thrown. i have aces like this and i count them i think i have 2 of my 10 i normally throw 1 more drive if my first was close or really bad

Since everyone wants to throw around sports analogies then I've got one.

If you're practicing basketball and you sink a shot from behind the three point line it's called a three pointer. Do you get the points on the scoreboard? No, because you're just practicing. Is it still a three pointer? yes, because it's from behind the three point line. You don't say "I made a shot from behind that line and I don't know what to call it because I'm only practicing".