• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does Kensington Toboggan Belong top 10?

Does Kensington Tobaggon deserve top 10?

• yes

Votes: 19 37.3%
  • no

Votes: 32 62.7%

• Total voters
He did simply take what has been discussed in threads and post it as a review. Is it not a down fall of a course, that it's temp? And that someone made a big trip to get there? I've play Tobaggon, and it is a fun course; but, I've also played a whole number of temp tourney courses that were quality....none of them are listed on this site. I've also set up, run, and played quite a number of one weekend only, good courses, that were set up for a fun weekend of play...none of these are (of course) listed. How about listing final nine layouts for major tourneys; where pros play from one tee to hole three, etc.? How about if one were to begin to review playing courses backwards? It is another layout....

Slippery slope; Tobaggon is....:)

My favorite course so far was a one weekend only course. There is talk of a permanent course there, but I doubt it will ever be listed here, or on any other course listings.

I suppose I gotta ask at what point does a course become seasonal? What about permanent courses up north that pull their baskets during the winter, but are in play for 8-9 months?

I suppose I gotta ask at what point does a course become seasonal? What about permanent courses up north that pull their baskets during the winter, but are in play for 8-9 months?
That is seasonal and seasonal courses would count as they're in the ground most of the time.

if they pull the baskets or close it for any extend amount of time annually, its seasonal.

So a course being in the top ten has to be in a place that doesn't get snow? I think that's dumb.

I think seasonal courses should definitely be on the list... Courses that are temp and exist once (or twice) a year only for tournaments should NOT be on the list. There is a huge difference between a Tournament ONLY course and a Seasonal course.

Tournament courses usually go in the ground a couple of days -- at most -- before the tourney and can only be played in casual rounds a couple of days out of the year. That's not worth the accolade IMHO.

At the very least, tournament-only courses should have a BIG ASTERISK beside them to help notify people who are interested in playing them that they aren't available for play.

I also think that tournament-only courses get artificially inflated ratings because the ratings are usually reflective of the tournament experience -- not just the course. Winthrop Gold is supposedly one of the best courses in the country. It's on almost every single pro's list. But I think a large part of that is that the tourney itself is such an amazing, A-list event -- the pinnacle of our sport for a tourney setting. It's hard to separate Winthrop Gold as a course from the USDGC. Kensington Toboggan has a similar challenge in that it is inseparable from the A-list tournament it is created for.

Maybe we need a separate top-10 list of "MUST PLAY" tournaments, and this would be a great place for tournament-only courses. When the course and tourney are inseparable, I just don't think the course can stand alone and therefore does not belong in the Top 10.

I agree completely Tim.

Seasonal courses should count in the top 10. If you are trusting the reviews, you should be reading them and in them they will say "Course closed from Octuary-Mapril" just read the review so you don;t get pissed when the course is closed. If it is a 5 star course when it is open, then it is a 5 star course, it does not get bumped to a 4 star because it is closed in the winter.

I think seasonal courses should definitely be on the list... Courses that are temp and exist once (or twice) a year only for tournaments should NOT be on the list. There is a huge difference between a Tournament ONLY course and a Seasonal course.

Tournament courses usually go in the ground a couple of days -- at most -- before the tourney and can only be played in casual rounds a couple of days out of the year. That's not worth the accolade IMHO.

At the very least, tournament-only courses should have a BIG ASTERISK beside them to help notify people who are interested in playing them that they aren't available for play.

I also think that tournament-only courses get artificially inflated ratings because the ratings are usually reflective of the tournament experience -- not just the course. Winthrop Gold is supposedly one of the best courses in the country. It's on almost every single pro's list. But I think a large part of that is that the tourney itself is such an amazing, A-list event -- the pinnacle of our sport for a tourney setting. It's hard to separate Winthrop Gold as a course from the USDGC. Kensington Toboggan has a similar challenge in that it is inseparable from the A-list tournament it is created for.

Maybe we need a separate top-10 list of "MUST PLAY" tournaments, and this would be a great place for tournament-only courses. When the course and tourney are inseparable, I just don't think the course can stand alone and therefore does not belong in the Top 10.

I agree, "seasonal" - YES!! - "temp" - NO WAY!!

Campgaw in jersey has 2 distinctly different layouts that r seasonal. They r listed as different courses. I have not heard any complaints it seems to make sense as both layouts occur during different times of year and don't exist at the same time

I dont feel a temp course can be top ten, last year I entered a temp course that i had played and it was promptly removed. I understand this course comes back every year but only for two weeks thats not very top ten. Even though it might be a legit five star course when its in the ground, hopefully next year Ill do well enough to get a invite.

Latest posts