• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Does your significant other support your disc golf habit?

Does your significant other support your disc golf habit?

• Yes

Votes: 96 72.7%
  • No

Votes: 20 15.2%
  • I do not have a significant other

Votes: 12 9.1%
  • I lost my signifigant other because of disc golf and haven't cared to get another

Votes: 4 3.0%

• Total voters
She mocks me being "obsessed" with disc golf, but other than that doesn't have a problem with it. She said she MIGHT go with me sometime, but I doubt she ever actually will. I'll keep inviting her, though ...

My wife is cool with it. But then I'm careful about keeping up with my obligations at home and offering her free time to do stuff she wants also. Playing more than a round a week is difficult with a little one at home to take care of.

She's not quite my significant other.... but, she's played more than 40 courses in 6 states.
It's either come along with me for a ride... or wait at home for me to get back.
I don't know if you call that support.
DSCJNKY

She used to play DG with me more freguently before kids came along, now only on rare occations. She is the biggest reason I play less frequently than I used to or otherwise would. Mostly because the kids are a handful & she can't deal with them alone for long. If I can get one of the kids to come with I'm okay, still working on getting the kids being able to walk a course without whinning & wanting to bail, 9 is do-able, 18 still OOTQ. They like to play, they just loose interest around the 4th hole.

Compared to how much time and money I used to spend on bowling the wife is all for DG. Not whole-heartedly of course and she wouldn't be caught dead actually playing or walking a course. She's cool with the 1 full day of DG on Sunday's and my 1 1/2 year old kid can almost sit through a full 18 so I'm able to take him out often. It's not so much that she's for it, she knows I would be really annoying if I was home all the time...

I personally don't throw plastic with my man. I've thrown a couple of putts here and there but that's about it. Having said that, I fully support my man's addiction to golf. He plays most everyday and on the weekends. I will usually go with him on the weekends. It gets me out of the house, I get to take a nature walk in the woods witout having to drive out to the mountains. I get to hang out with some really awesome people (who usually don't mind when I sh*t talk with everyone). We take my dog when we go out and everyone seems to love seeing him. I've had people come from across the course to greet my dog. Damn dog has more friends than I do!!! I will ocassionaly buy him DG stuff but not usually discs because I don't really know what he prefers to throw and I don't want to buy him something that he won't end up using. For his birthday I paid for him to enter a tourney. So yeah, I think I do support his habit!!

To you guys that have SO's that don't support ya, how do you deal with it?? I personally couldn't be with someone who didn't atleast accept that I have different interests than them. You can't spend every moment of your day with them, everyone needs some away time. As long as you ain't saying your golfing when you are really out with another woman (or man, whatever you prefer), who cares what you do with your time??? I figure it this way, my man is a grown up. It is not my place to tell him what he can and can't do, I ain't his mother. If he wants to spend his day golfing, then have at it. I don't have to worry about him sneaking around behind my back to do anything. All I ask is that he calls me and lets me know that he is still alive.

Raven Skyfire

I personally don't throw plastic with my man. I've thrown a couple of putts here and there but that's about it. Having said that, I fully support my man's addiction to golf. He plays most everyday and on the weekends. I will usually go with him on the weekends. It gets me out of the house, I get to take a nature walk in the woods witout having to drive out to the mountains. I get to hang out with some really awesome people (who usually don't mind when I sh*t talk with everyone). We take my dog when we go out and everyone seems to love seeing him. I've had people come from across the course to greet my dog. Damn dog has more friends than I do!!! I will ocassionaly buy him DG stuff but not usually discs because I don't really know what he prefers to throw and I don't want to buy him something that he won't end up using. For his birthday I paid for him to enter a tourney. So yeah, I think I do support his habit!!

To you guys that have SO's that don't support ya, how do you deal with it?? I personally couldn't be with someone who didn't atleast accept that I have different interests than them. You can't spend every moment of your day with them, everyone needs some away time. As long as you ain't saying your golfing when you are really out with another woman (or man, whatever you prefer), who cares what you do with your time??? I figure it this way, my man is a grown up. It is not my place to tell him what he can and can't do, I ain't his mother. If he wants to spend his day golfing, then have at it. I don't have to worry about him sneaking around behind my back to do anything. All I ask is that he calls me and lets me know that he is still alive.

Raven Skyfire

If only every woman had that kind of perspective. This is assuming that the guy has his priorities straight, and is managing other things well. (also assuming a guy/girl relationship ;) )

My wife is super cool when I want to go play,never an attitide, gives me a big kiss and says have fun. She even lets me know if the weather is good. Shes the best thing that ever happened to me,,besides toilet paper.

If only every woman had that kind of perspective. This is assuming that the guy has his priorities straight, and is managing other things well. (also assuming a guy/girl relationship ;) )

He makes sure that we get enough "us" time! I've never felt unloved or anything else like that because he plays golf everyday. Though when he spent 7 months doing the body kit on his Z car, I did nickname it the "Other Girlfriend", but that's another story entirely (and the car did come out looking AWESOME!!) LOL

I love my man and will support him in anything he chooses to do! I'll be the woman on the sidelines yelling "GO BABY GO!!!!"

By the way, my name is Manda! Nice to meet ya'll!

Manda

I would have to say no she does not. Mainly because the only reason I don't have to listen to her b1tch1ng me out as I drive to a tournament is because I have to leave earlier than she wakes up. The way home is another story, and before you say it, if I didn't answer my phone I best be finding a place to hide out for a while. Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned and for some reason she just hates every single thing about discgolf. I'm thinking I need to buy a safe for my discs or they may end up gone if I ever go to another two day tournament again.:D

Were you playing before the two of you got together?

I work with all women. Being a young, good looking;) guy they give me a hard time about always being single. I know my only chance for a lasting relationship is to be with a disc girl.

Same here... (About being with a disc girl... Not about being young or good looking...lol)

It's not that my fiancee dislikes discgolf, she dislikes me having fun.

Sounds like my ex gf. Is her name Betsy?...lol

My wife has played tuesday night leagues with me this year, and gets out 1 or two other times each week. That said I still don't think she knows about every round I play or every disc I trade via USPS.

Toilet paper is good....My wife absolutely loves it when I am gone to play. She says it gives her "me time". All I know is she is all for me playing and I am all for her being for me playing. I get home and cook her dinner or take her to do something she wants and she glows. AWESOME!!!!
+

My wife is pretty supportive. I have tried to get her to come out with me a few times, but it didn't work out too well. I play quite often. I don't buy a lot of plastic anymore otherwise I think she would not like me to spend as much as I used to on discs.

I got it

I was not sure what to expect when I entered this thread but after reading some of the stories I decided to share a couple of mine....

We had a local tournament here at the DAM a month ago and out of all the people there only two guys were there with their wife. Both of those dudes won their divisions (one am and pro)

My wife is super competitive and it became an apparent problem when she was not immediately as good as I. We played at a course with super short holes and she was accurate as hell with the roc and we would honestly be head to head going into hole 9, which was about 300 feet and gave me a stroke almost by default. But it built her confidence that she could play AND compete.

A long story a little longer, she realized the time she needs to dedicate to improve and appreciates that and, with that said, gets bummed she can't play as often as I can.

To top it off, after some driving practice one afternoon, I caught her on discaroo actually looking for discs FOR HER! I about cried tears of joy.

To top it off, we are going on the disc golf cruise in January!

I love my wife and appreciate how supportive she is. We have two kids and we both work very demanding, stressful, fulltime jobs with opposite schedules....and its tough........but to sum it up fellas, there is hope out there to find a chick to support ya, or even more so, there is hope that the chick you found does come around.....

peace out!

My significant other plays disc golf with me all the time. I've gotten her her own discs and bag. She really likes getting new discs. She goes on gggt all the time and says "How about a ______, will you get me that one?" It's hard for me to say no you don't need any more discs as I have about 4 times as many discs as she does. Because of work and school I don't get to see her as much as I would like so it is nice that disc golf time and "us" time can be the same. Plus she frequents dgcr so she will probably see this.

My wife calls it too much of an addiction to me. She likes to play, but not near as much as me.

My wife has significantly surpassed me on the playing front. When she was unemployed she played 3-4 times a week and really got good. Now that she works we both struggle to get 2 rounds in a week and it hurts her consistency big time.

My rounds: 133
Her rounds: 145

2010 tournaments:

Me: 2 (4 rounds) 1 scheduled
Her: 9 (22 rounds) 2 scheduled

Her rating just bumped to 744 but it is artificially low because she started playing tournaments way before she found her stride. She has improved about 20 strokes on most courses in a years time and generally scores within 5 strokes of me and my rating is 830 and I currently throw about 850 rated rounds.

I think she probably has more discs than me because her discs are "special" my discs are discs and I will trade them when I don't want them anymore. She has a stupid amount of snap and throws about 250' from a standstill. Dave Feldberg even wowed her drive. Unfortunately her run-up doesn't add much...maybe 10-20' but that is the winter goal to put all that together.

I like caddying for her for tourneys but she drives me crazy with her inconsistency. She could probably play advanced if she didn't just randomly throw 45 degrees off target or 3 putt 2-3 times per round in a tournament.

So uhhh, I guess I support HER habit?

Latest posts