• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle Forehand Shoulder Injury - Late Elbow Cock

sidewinder22

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I never like to be right about serious injury like this and wish him well on recovery.

Eagle's 360 run up along with his late elbow cock put a massive jerk force stress on his shoulder pulling the arm out of the socket.

Stop Hugging Yourself Forehand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2eWfwpahfk#t=5m34s

Eagle vs Ryan Sheldon also doing a 360. Big difference in the elbow cock timing and position.
E3taqbW.png

Strange that his form/position on the throw you've shown is so different than what he was doing a year ago when he threw a 360 forehand.

https://youtu.be/W57tZV-kjO0?t=451
Ahhh, you are correct, it looks like it was a trick shot pretending to go lefty backhand 360 and switching righty forehand at last second. Explains the super late elbow cock on that really exaggerating his motion. :sick:

It looks just like he is going into his approach for a righty backhand throw, but his head is backwards moving in the direction of the throw.
SEOkWKD.png

RL7maC8.png

I'm glad you brought up Ryan Sheldon. I know the focus on your thread is about techniques and injury prevention, but don't you think size and strength play a factor here too? Ryan and Eagle are around the same height, but I'd guess Ryan has at least 50lbs on him and most of that is muscle. I'd have to think that at least plays a part. We have seen this in almost every other sport the importance of strength training and muscle size being injury preventative.

Avery Jenkins is a good example of a guy who threw forehands (and backhands) farther and harder then everyone, for a long time, and did it seemingly, for the most part, injury free. I'd have to think part of that was his dedication to strength training and just sheer overall size and strength.

Do you think part of this is the fact that Eagle is really small framed and lightweight for being as tall as he is and that might at least play a part in some of his injuries (seems like he's had quite a few over the past few years)?

I'm not discounting the technical aspects of what your postulating here at all, it has merit and very well maybe be 95% of the factors involved. But what I'm saying here has to play a part.

Yeah up through your early 20s some guys can just rely on elasticity. Beyond that, you need some mass to balance when things go sideways. Wysocki has definitely thickened up over the past 5 years. I think eagle takes his conditioning seriously. I'll be curious to see what his body looks like at age 30.

I'm glad you brought up Ryan Sheldon. I know the focus on your thread is about techniques and injury prevention, but don't you think size and strength play a factor here too? Ryan and Eagle are around the same height, but I'd guess Ryan has at least 50lbs on him and most of that is muscle. I'd have to think that at least plays a part. We have seen this in almost every other sport the importance of strength training and muscle size being injury preventative.

Avery Jenkins is a good example of a guy who threw forehands (and backhands) farther and harder then everyone, for a long time, and did it seemingly, for the most part, injury free. I'd have to think part of that was his dedication to strength training and just sheer overall size and strength.

Do you think part of this is the fact that Eagle is really small framed and lightweight for being as tall as he is and that might at least play a part in some of his injuries (seems like he's had quite a few over the past few years)?

I'm not discounting the technical aspects of what your postulating here at all, it has merit and very well maybe be 95% of the factors involved. But what I'm saying here has to play a part.
Muscle definitely plays a role in injury prevention, but the motion pattern I see in Eagle's FH gives me the willies, and it's a different animal than Sheldon and Avery and Ricky and most other great FH players.

I teach posture, balance, and motion patterns. I don't really teach the muscle training stuff, I leave that to the PT's and athletic trainers.

Avery is a huge guy and very strong but his form and technique is incredibly fluid and easy on the joints. I got to spend some time and play with him and Nate many years ago and his throw forehand and backhand even crushing out 200m plus drives (not on the course but showing off after) was liquid and easy on the joints and smoother than Nate's. His legs stomped the ground like an angry bull but his upper body was balletic rather than forceful. Good to watch.

In terms of strength training he wasn't a gym bunny. He would do press ups and some resistance band training whilst on tour but wasn't hitting the weights on the regular, some people are just naturally big!

A deep dive into shoulder injuries and prevention. Great anatomical graphics included.

Lot of knowledge to take out of that for the backhand, as well. If you think of the backhand as a mirror of the forehand then the power pocket is the backhand's layback. Really gives insight as to why the shouler/scapula in the backhand need to be protracted and need flexion in the T spine!

E0wb32Ah.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Never paid attention to Gavin's forehand before, but he also has the late elbow cock and now a surgically repaired torn labrum. Hope the recovery goes well and improves technique.

I never like to be right about serious injury like this and wish him well on recovery.
I know this post is a couple months old but after reading your latest comment I went back to here.

I think there is a huge amount of incorrect, inexact, incomplete information being dished out by people who may be great (or at least good) disc golfers but are not trained at all in physical conditioning.

The whole "keep the elbow in" mantra is a good example. I tried it and it...HURT.

A lot.

Now I'm an old guy so a lot of stuff hurts, but this went beyond simple stiffness etc.

When you are young you can abuse your body and "get away with it". For a while.

I can almost effortlessly throw a forehand because I do it precisely how I used to throw a baseball sidearm. It is the most natural of throwing motions that puts minimal strain on my shoulder and arm.

I know this post is a couple months old but after reading your latest comment I went back to here.

I think there is a huge amount of incorrect, inexact, incomplete information being dished out by people who may be great (or at least good) disc golfers but are not trained at all in physical conditioning.

The whole "keep the elbow in" mantra is a good example. I tried it and it...HURT.

A lot.

Now I'm an old guy so a lot of stuff hurts, but this went beyond simple stiffness etc.

When you are young you can abuse your body and "get away with it". For a while.

I can almost effortlessly throw a forehand because I do it precisely how I used to throw a baseball sidearm. It is the most natural of throwing motions that puts minimal strain on my shoulder and arm.

Scott Stokely talks about that a lot. Your elbow shouldn't be extended really far away from your body, but making a conscious effort to tuck it in close to your body restricts the natural fluid motion and puts stress on the shoulder. My forearms started feeling so much better when I threw that advice out the window and started focusing on a nice fluid, smooth motion similar to what I used in baseball years ago.

Never paid attention to Gavin's forehand before, but he also has the late elbow cock and now a surgically repaired torn labrum. Hope the recovery goes well and improves technique.

Did you happen to watch the Simon Vlogmas video with the disc dice? He threw a putter forehand and I think it was the most obvious late elbow cock I've seen. He turns around right after and says "that did not feel good." Which maybe he meant the poor shot hurt his pride but I doubt it. Seems like he hasn't figured out that it's that technique hurting him. I worry about that elbow.

https://youtu.be/0QTy07tPnzo?t=253

Last edited:
That angle on Simon really helps me understand the difference in movement.

What's going on with the difference in the drive leg kicking back (Eagle and Kona) vs. Simon where his comes forward? Looks like it might be related to the power of the throw/need for more counterbalancing and how they distribute the follow through?

The "Late Elbow Cock" video of Eagle & Kona (and maybe Simon but harder to see from behind) shows a really violent vibration in their arm from the elbow after the release in addition to serious force on the open shoulder. I'm scared for them.

Edit: here's a side angle from Simon comparing himself to Eagle (T~6:24).
https://youtu.be/Za7d0uSKl6w?t=384

When I throw my goal is no pain. 50ft extra in not worth sitting out. You rarely have to much reason to go big and actually score significantly different.

Late cock seems to just increase the need of acceleration of the forearm and the elbow gets to soak the abrupt forces.

Out on the course I think it is fairly obvious that some people really seem to have a very violent forehand whereas some just seem completly effortless but it is more or less same distance.

I think Mr. Slingshot's technique might be the backhand equivalent to the late elbow cock, also kind of reminiscent of golf's "modern swing". He plants front foot completely and then completes the backswing and hyperextends elbow/wrist. Every pro I've seen throw completes the backswing just before or as the front foot is planting, not extending after. Looks so violent and sudden on the arm and not using the body very efficiently, also note the compression sleeve he is wearing now.

Frames go right to left <---. Frame - 2 disc moved ahead of elbow.
5rfF92f.png

I think Mr. Slingshot's technique might be the backhand equivalent to the late elbow cock, also kind of reminiscent of golf's "modern swing". He plants front foot completely and then completes the backswing and hyperextends elbow/wrist. Every pro I've seen throw completes the backswing just before or as the front foot is planting, not extending after. Looks so violent and sudden on the arm and not using the body very efficiently, also note the compression sleeve he is wearing now.

Can we talk more about this? I'm beginning to organize some content to share online as advice to people getting serious about form work. I will use a pendulum framework w/ cross-references.

I do not want over-reach or be a character assassin in that context (indeed, I'm not anywhere close to being an "expert"). However, I think Slingshot's increasing popularity and refusal to engage with other sources comes with a real risk to others. My concern started with knees and now you have me worried about elbows. So I figured it's good to talk about here.

In this case, I think Slingshot fell victim to an illusion. In some pros' forms, at the peak of the reachback you can see the disc getting tugged, revealing more of the disc wing to the viewer when viewed at 90 degrees to the tee. Slingshot says Drew Gibson is his fave player and says that the backwards "wrist flick" could be an "advanced move" present in Drew's form. But if you watch Drew throw, what's happening is that as he falls forward into the plant, his presumably springy wrist flexes as his weight drops forward, revealing the profile of the disc as his wrist flexes a bit. It curls back in just after that when the initial jerk force on the wrist resolves. The disc never moves backwards away from the target at any point. Slingshot does acknowledge that you should "try everything" in his "reach out" video, but doesn't seem to have noticed the difference between his backswing and pros'.

I'm adding an on-topic anecdote - I just realized I used to have this exact same habit when trying to take the "loose arm" advice, and I was having significant elbow discomfort around that time. Some ulnar nerve irritation and a bit of pain at the center of elbow/triceps tendon.

At first I thought it may be due to my backwards rotating arm, but then I remembered that I started to drop the hyperextension before SW22 got to work on me and that backwards rotation. The elbow pain went away. The backwards rotation and shoulder external rotation was more related to pec and shoulder discomfort and a bit of lateral ligament irritation (which makes sense).

My point isn't to armchair diagnose these issues, just to echo some concern and that it's good to point out form teaching that might come with elevated risk of injury.

In that spirit, it's a slightly different timing than Slingshot, but I just had a weird memory about this older throw by Simon (pre elbow-injury). I noticed that his form was not quite as smooth as it is now. His "finish and address" is different and the throw is slightly more violent. It's a little different than Slingshot's, but even though Simon's body/disc are moving forward throughout the throw, there's still a subtle jerk/hyperextension at the elbow right after the plant. You can also see a bit of vibration in his arm after the hit. Wanted to share in case I'm seeing shadows again.

I think you mean wrist extends/extension. Wrist flex is curl, at least anatomically speaking.

Mr. Slingshot also talked about seeking the feeling of his arm going numb as a good thing, but IMO that is not good - seems likely compressing the ulnar nerve.

Simon's backhand technique is also a little rough on the arm, but Slingshot exaggerates it to an absurd extreme.

IMO Ken Jarvis is the epitome of smooth effortless distance. I don't understand the fascination with some of these other more violent techniques. Some of it is also misinterpreted.