• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Eagle Forehand Shoulder Injury - Late Elbow Cock

Eagle apparently getting shoulder surgery in a couple weeks. Hope it goes well.

As much as I rag on the guy for his thoughtless abuse on his body.
I hope it goes well also.

He's a good athlete and very tallented.

Just a bit dumb in the "how to use your body without hurting it" department.

One of the gatekeeper commentators this past weekend, stated that Eagle had said his return would not be until mid season next year.

He's having the surgery done on October 26th and from some googling it seems that 2-3 months is required for full daily use followed by up to 6 months of strengthening for athletic endeavours, but it depends on the type of labrum injury and how the surgery and subsequent recovery goes.

He himself mentioned targeting March/April as the time he's hoping to return to the tour, which would be 4.5-6 months post-op. It could possibly be as late as late July if things don't go as well.

My wife had her labrum repaired a few years ago. 6-9 months before resuming anything strenuous outside of rehab. You could tell this year that he adjusted his forehand form. He wasn't cocking the elbow any more. It was more of a traditional hips - shoulders - elbow - wrist type of form.

My wife had her labrum repaired a few years ago. 6-9 months before resuming anything strenuous outside of rehab. You could tell this year that he adjusted his forehand form. He wasn't cocking the elbow any more. It was more of a traditional hips - shoulders - elbow - wrist type of form.

His forehand form was impressive looking, but so terribly bad for the body.

I got drug many times for saying "he's going to hurt himself due to his form and over extending his body."

Our bodies are capable of so much, but some of those things its a case of you get 1 or 2 times and you need to stop. Emergency cases where the body can heal.
When you continually push that limit, those parts that hold you together will not keep up.

His forehand form was impressive looking, but so terribly bad for the body.

I got drug many times for saying "he's going to hurt himself due to his form and over extending his body."

Our bodies are capable of so much, but some of those things its a case of you get 1 or 2 times and you need to stop. Emergency cases where the body can heal.
When you continually push that limit, those parts that hold you together will not keep up.
He did not get hurt from his forehand form, (which was nearly perfect) He got hurt trying to to a stupid 360° showoff forehand maneuver and his shoulder dislocated.

He did not get hurt from his forehand form, (which was nearly perfect) He got hurt trying to to a stupid 360° showoff forehand maneuver and his shoulder dislocated.
He had been dealing with shoulder injuries before that.

I think were going to have to agree to disagree on his forehand form there.

Continually hyperextending all your joints while throwing as hard as you can is not good.

To discount the idea that his constant abuse of his arm with his style of forehand didn't play into him getting hurt with the 360 shenanigan's seems a bit tone deaf.

The way he was abusing his body was just not sustainable, no matter how great the results were. We can look at guys like Stokley who have been throwing bomber level forehands for years and years and don't abuse their body to that level and can continue to throw those shots.

This is me a few months into my DG adventure. I had absolutely no idea of a proper FH form, but seeing I could throw 400-430 gave me a false confidence that I were on "the right track".

A few months later, I strained something in my elbow and nearly had to give up on ever playing again.

Proper FH form is something that isn't discussed enough in my opinion. I played badminton for 15 years and at a point I had to much arm speed, compared to what my ligaments etc could handle and needed to spend A LOT of time to get that sorted out.

Stretching, strengthening and flexibility is really important. Specially if you're getting "old".

Avery Jenkins is a good example of a guy who threw forehands (and backhands) farther and harder then everyone, for a long time, and did it seemingly, for the most part, injury free. I'd have to think part of that was his dedication to strength training and just sheer overall size and strength.
I wonder how the workload compares.

Tougher traveling conditions back then, less money in their pockets, more overall tournaments, but they're more likely to spread those tournaments throughout the year where guys now seem to take a 2-3 month off-season, and a lot of those tournaments back then were one-day two-round C Tiers and B Tiers on relatively small courses. So a lot of low-stress days that honestly might just be only as stressful to a guy like Avery as a day at league for any one of us.

For example - Avery from the age of like... 22-25ish (2001-2003) played 39 events per year. Eagle has never touched that workload in terms of tournament count. Avery's two year stretch into the 30s in 2008-2009, as well, were heavier workloads than Eagle ever had.

(after this point Avery moved to a more modern schedule through 2013, looks like only really A Tiers, NTs, and Ms, at 25-29 per year)

I wonder how the workload compares.

Tougher traveling conditions back then, less money in their pockets, more overall tournaments, but they're more likely to spread those tournaments throughout the year where guys now seem to take a 2-3 month off-season, and a lot of those tournaments back then were one-day two-round C Tiers and B Tiers on relatively small courses. So a lot of low-stress days that honestly might just be only as stressful to a guy like Avery as a day at league for any one of us.

For example - Avery from the age of like... 22-25ish (2001-2003) played 39 events per year. Eagle has never touched that workload in terms of tournament count. Avery's two year stretch into the 30s in 2008-2009, as well, were heavier workloads than Eagle ever had.

(after this point Avery moved to a more modern schedule through 2013, looks like only really A Tiers, NTs, and Ms, at 25-29 per year)
I also doubt that eagle has lifted anything heavier than his golf bag in his life too.

I'm being a bit of a sarcastic ass, but ...

I'm making a joke he's never worked a day in his life, let alone worked out.

Yeah, he did some "work out" stuff. but... lawl.
He's not really that fit of a person compared to some others out there who play.

Latest posts