• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

yeah I find it a bit annoying mainly because jumpin' on a bandwagon and just because its 'that brand' you talk about it like it really is THE best and there is no other option. I do get liking a brand and using it and supporting it. I throw a very mixed bag, and there are some discs that I will talk up a lot, but that's because I really like them and work well for me. (the ATOM and the ALIAS are examples) Even if the discs are from a certain company doesn't mean its the only one to do the job. With that said, when there is a CLEAR better disc, I can see why promoting that may seem like fanboy behavior.

I like my mixed bag - there are some discs I really just LIKE and do that job so well I don't think anything else can top it

Atom, Harp, Alias, BuzzOS, Patriot, Teebird3, Wrath, Tern, Mayhem, Stiletto - Id say these discs I just really like...ie: the Stiletto and an APE or NITTRO or whatever can certainly do the same job, but the feel/ flight of the Stiletto to me is perfect, its kinda cemented in my bag rotation. and the Alias is THE STRAIGHTEST mid I have ever used and I have used a bunch. But that's me, so I like Innova, Discraft, Gyro, Trilogy, you name it

I like that you just called it Gyro instead of MVP/Axiom.

Innova is about the only brand I don't hold against a "fanboy." Pretty much all the classic molds. Aside from a couple in the Discraft lineup and the Pure, everything else is a knockoff/tweak of an Innova disc.

I'm not really arguing the point, just having some fun with you...

harp
Overmold technology
Prodiscus - jokeri

That's just a few. The classic molds are innova, but the most innovative discs I've seen in recent years don't seem to be coming from their shop.

BTW - that there Innova Aviar 3, looks a lot like a Jokeri...

But if you want real innovation, Kylo's saucy light saber is the first innovation in light saber technology in almost... 2017 - 1977 = 40 years. Unless of course, you think purple is an innovation?

forgot about darth maul's double ended one?
latest

I'm not really arguing the point, just having some fun with you...

harp
Overmold technology
Prodiscus - jokeri

That's just a few. The classic molds are innova, but the most innovative discs I've seen in recent years don't seem to be coming from their shop.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think overmolds are the "amazing" tech innovation that people claim. The concept supposedly moves the mass to the rim, but injection molded discs already have the vast majority of weight in the rim (source: Dunipace). So I think it's more marketing than anything else (which MVP, etc. are doing a good job with). Nobody branded that nerdy, science-y, demographic niche until they came along.

Also flat top discs aren't really an innovation, they're just a popular flavor that's come back around. Look at discs from the 90's, there's plenty of flat topped popular molds. I think this resurgence has to do with the fact that it's trending in the metagame right now.

I know I'll get flamed for this, but I don't think overmolds are the "amazing" tech innovation that people claim. The concept supposedly moves the mass to the rim, but injection molded discs already have the vast majority of weight in the rim (source: Dunipace). So I think it's more marketing than anything else (which MVP, etc. are doing a good job with). Nobody branded that nerdy, science-y, demographic niche until they came along.

Also flat top discs aren't really an innovation, they're just a popular flavor that's come back around. Look at discs from the 90's, there's plenty of flat topped popular molds. I think this resurgence has to do with the fact that it's trending in the metagame right now.

Flame on, I agree about overmolds, flame off.

But, the flat top thing of today is somewhat different from the flat-topped thing of old. The application, IMO, is different.

It seems to me that Innova is filling in niches, other companies are trying new things. You can argue that Innova doesn't need to be that innovative at this point and I'd not argue the point. I will also point out that my bag is dominated by Innova they have a solid lineup.

The harp is a flat top, driver profile putter. To my recollection, that is new. Is it an invention or innovation? Tis innovation IMO and I don't even know if it was the first of its type, but I don't really know of anything like it from the 90s. Yes, there were thumb rim putters that were flat top, see the rhino, but nothing like the harp etc. I don't really recall any flat top putters of normal depth either from the 90s. The flat top discs I recall were drivers and midranges. See Discraft for example. But I'm hardly an expert in every disc made, either then or now.

No, it matters. It is not a high percentage, I can't recall the exact numbers, but it is significant.
It doesn't make overmolds 'better', but from a standpoint of physics, and flight, it matters.

If you dont think a spinning weight matters, look at the crazy amount of money bikers pay for a few grams weight reduction on their rims.

Now, perhaps your style doesn't jive well with needing higher angular velocity, thats cool man. There is a reason that there are so many different discs on the market.

Also, did not the orginal blizzard only have bubbles in the flight plate? From what i understand, Dave did that to increase the rim weight.

I am not an Innova hater like many, but I see Daves comments as nothing but sour grapes.

No, it matters. It is not a high percentage, I can't recall the exact numbers, but it is significant.
It doesn't make overmolds 'better', but from a standpoint of physics, and flight, it matters.

If you dont think a spinning weight matters, look at the crazy amount of money bikers pay for a few grams weight reduction on their rims.

Now, perhaps your style doesn't jive well with needing higher angular velocity, thats cool man. There is a reason that there are so many different discs on the market.

Also, did not the orginal blizzard only have bubbles in the flight plate? From what i understand, Dave did that to increase the rim weight.

I am not an Innova hater like many, but I see Daves comments as nothing but sour grapes.

Caveat - I didn't intend to quote Dave, I just meant that I got that information about where the weight goes from him. My post is only meant to reflect my opinions.

I can tell you that the blizzard bubbles are made to get the ratio of flight plate weight to rim weight correct so that the disc flies like it's heavier counterparts. :thmbup:

I don't have any data to prove that MVP does actually have a statistically significant difference in the flight-plate-to-rim ratio. I only have seen marketing that says they've optimized it...and paradoxically if we take them at their word - then only the best of the best players will see consistently superior performance. This is at odds with the fact that they can't get a top name on their squad.

None of this is hating on MVP by the way. I've had nothing but pleasant interactions with them as a TD. I just don't necessarily buy their marketing.

harp
Overmold technology
Prodiscus - jokeri

Harp is based off the Discraft Zone.
Overmold is more of a process. Let's put a ring around a Wizard and call it an Ion.
Jokeri - maybe, but if the P2 came out first, this is also refutable.

*and chevis beat me to it, but Maul's saberstaff.

I can tell you that the blizzard bubbles are made to get the ratio of flight plate weight to rim weight correct so that the disc flies like it's heavier counterparts. :thmbup:

From reading posts from some the the older players, they said that when Blizzard was first released, it was not released in their current lightweight version. Now, I fully admit this is hearsay, I was not playing at that point....and it has been way to long for me to remember what thread it was in.

Please understand, in no way am I suggesting that MVP has better flying discs. I am saying that the weighted rims make a difference in how they fly.
I play a mixed bag, there are shots I want a rim weighted disc and there are othertimes I want a core weighted disc. There are others I play with that cannot throw rim weighted disc at all(not just MVP). One is not better than the other, just different.

Perhaps I did misunderstand you quoting Dave, and for that I apoligize. I do take everything he says with a grain of salt, afterall he is trying to make the most money like everyone else....nor do I blame him for that.

As far as top teir players, MVP has said that they are not interested in marketing their discs that way.. They got burned with Nikko...but then that may be just PR on their part.

Cheers

Latest posts