• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Fanboys and plastic worship

In my experience, it's usually newer players who've jumped headlong into the sport. I try to remember that I was certainly guilty of proselytizing and aggressively evangelizing what I liked. When you're new, you're improving rapidly, every disc is a new experience, you are in that puppy love stage with the sport, and you just want to tell the world. I'm sure there's posts of mine from 2010-11 that would be either laugh- or cringe-worthy.

Most people grow out of it, and it's easily forgivable. The fact that the sport creates such excitement is a great thing, even if the excitement is slightly misguided at first. The problematic people are the ones who don't evolve to see the bigger picture. The discs don't become that important until you can effectively minimize operator error.

Which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

If you consider the lineups of the major manufacturers to be comparable, and the differences between, say, overstable midranges, negligible---or, at least, less important than inconsistencies in your own game---you might decide that that a mixed bag isn't going to shave a whole lot of strokes off your game.

If you're not turned on by the thrill of new discs, or interested in buying out and trying hundreds of different models in their variations of weights and plastics, you might decide that it's simpler to stick with one manufacturer.

Not because that manufacturer is better---just because they're good enough to suit you. It certainly eases your selection in the store, or tournament bins, or online.

"Limiting yourself" might be another phrase for "simplifying".

It's not better or worse.....just what suits those people.

Also another phrase for "saving money". That's kinda how I treat video games. I'm very picky with what I like to play, so I don't end up spending too much money on it.

If I only stuck to one brand, I wouldn't have nearly as many random disc purchases.

Also another phrase for "saving money". That's kinda how I treat video games. I'm very picky with what I like to play, so I don't end up spending too much money on it.

If I only stuck to one brand, I wouldn't have nearly as many random disc purchases.

Do anyone stick to just one brand of video games? I am not a gamer, so I am entirely ignorant of this, but it would seem unlikely to me.

Do anyone stick to just one brand of video games? I am not a gamer, so I am entirely ignorant of this, but it would seem unlikely to me.

Well, maybe not the best analogy on my part. I don't stick to one brand, but am picky in general in what games I do play. Just saying, being picky and limiting oneself can be cheap.

Playground stuff! makes you wonder if we left the 8th grade yet?

Thats just stupid, getting crap for a 170g piece of plastic because of mould or name!

If it was the "Hey noob" ribbing that would be ok, but its like the cult like behaviour that really narks me off. I am only about 2 years in and have seen such positives from folks in the DG community but like everything else we have our share of numpties! (The only thing that came close is when I was finishing up playing rugby and Under Armor were making quite a few products that Canterbury used to only make and were making them cheaper, I got crap for looking after my wallet instead of going with the "rugby company")

Basically I am not shaped like most disc golf players, I am an ex athlete who let himself go and is super overweight now, so I don't usually take advice from folks who have different form than I do and care more about mechanics and learning the plastic that I have rather than getting 5 strokes off by flinging the plastic of whatever guy is trying to tell me this has revamped his game.

My Impact are around 170 grams, one is 172-173 and the other is an Ace Race from 2007 at 172 grams. I like the newer one better, tiny dome an it glides just a bit more then the old flat top Ace Race model.

The pro in my state is using Latitude 64 and side brands, as is a pro person from my state now living in Minnesota with Dynamic Discs ad then side brands. So if you are not using Trilogy or Innova, local sports store sells those, in my area you are getting snubbed. I use Discraft/Innova and those from out of state do not mind me using Discraft but the born in state players seem to go with Trilogy set or Innova and snub players with other discs. They will except me barely due to the fact I was with the group that helped with the design of a Disc golf course, the in town one and the back 9-17, 18 was already old 9 on the out of town course. Local courses are Steamboat, and Powerhouse Ally.

If anyone talks any smack about what discs you are throwing, just tell them not to worry, that your machete/sling blade IS a name brand.... and you named it Carl.

Last edited:
Is that not how that one lady won $2million from Manhattan Beach?

I don't know if the fairways were crossing there or not, but it was a blind shot over a small rise, and the player threw a high speed driver on a very short hole. I think Poliwog Park was the name of that (now defunct) course.

IIRC that's more of a condemnation of people designing courses who unfortunately don't know what they're doing.

I don't know if the fairways were crossing there or not, but it was a blind shot over a small rise, and the player threw a high speed driver on a very short hole. I think Poliwog Park was the name of that (now defunct) course.

IIRC that's more of a condemnation of people designing courses who unfortunately don't know what they're doing.

Or well meaning cities throwing them up without consulting the players.

There is a plan for a course going in near me, and they refuse to take my advise to hire a designer, or at least take my advise on how to shape the fairways.

The course mock-up on their concept board crosses the very popular walking path about 4 times...

There is a plan for a course going in near me, and they refuse to take my advise to hire a designer, or at least take my advise on how to shape the fairways.

The course mock-up on their concept board crosses the very popular walking path about 4 times...

Next time they have a meeting take an Ape and a cardboard box and show them what your FH will do to it.:thmbup: I think the problem here, is that most of these 'City/Park" people don't realize the danger of our discs. They're thinking about beach Frisbees. But if they did they might not build courses to begin with. Its a problem area for sure...

Last edited:
I don't fully agree with this statement. There are a couple companies that design discs differently across the board. MVP/Axiom and Trilogy.
MVP/Axiom discs are rim weighted, whilst Trilogy discs have thicker flight plates. These discs fit different throwing styles.
MVP needs extra energy imparted into the spin to get the correct flight path( to some degree I feel Discraft is similar, at least their mids) whilst Trilogy needs less than normal energy.
I am considering Innova the normal here.

I feel the average player can throw any disc well, with practice. Throw with more spin than speed, throw MVP. Throw more speed than spin, throw Trilogy.

At least this has been my personal observations. YMMV

I don't know why you quoted me but I niced you all the same. :confused: :D

I've been drinking

Next time they have a meeting take an Ape and a cardboard box and show them what your FH will do to it.:thmbup: I think the problem here, is that most of these 'City/Park" people don't realize the danger of our discs. They're thinking about beach Frisbees. But if they did they might not build courses to begin with. Its a problem area for sure...

It probably wouldn't matter. I've met some parks people that are just "zero ****s given." As long as a course goes in to satisfy the Master Plan or whatever they could care less if it's actually done right.

That's not a bad idea, my old workhorse Ape killed 3 saplings, a concrete rabbit statue and a garden gnome before it was stopped.

They have/ will have 22 acres that don't cohabitate with any other sports/activities I'm trying to show them that is the right space.

The Vibram meme thing on the Disc golf humor page on Facebook was pretty funny for what it's worth. I don't think anyone ever really genuinely hates Vibram who didn't already hate them before - Vibram is just easy targets lol.

I limit myself to one manufacturer (Discraft) because I do not have the time nor the energy to try to keep up with all the new molds out there from all the disc makers and the differences between all their plastics. I'm not really limiting myself because my game sucks so bad I figure what difference does it make really? I am definitely the poster child for "It's the archer not the arrow" mentality.

If you limit yourself to just one company, you're limiting yourself.

The Vibram meme thing on the Disc golf humor page on Facebook was pretty funny for what it's worth. I don't think anyone ever really genuinely hates Vibram who didn't already hate them before - Vibram is just easy targets lol.

I limit myself to one manufacturer (Discraft) because I do not have the time nor the energy to try to keep up with all the new molds out there from all the disc makers and the differences between all their plastics. I'm not really limiting myself because my game sucks so bad I figure what difference does it make really? I am definitely the poster child for "It's the archer not the arrow" mentality.

I hear you. When I made my first post above, I should have made more clear I was talking about the fanboys that throw one brand only because they're pretending that everything else sucks. Alot of people have legit reasons for throwing one or two brands. For the record, I throw mostly Innova and Discraft, some DD, for the same reason you have about not wanting to try to keep up with the new stuff and the $$$ that goes with that.

I made fun of a guy for throwing DD once, until I realised he was sponsored some how. I only heckled him as I can't throw any of the shallow drivers and beadless mids and putters that Trilogy makes, with the exception of the Harp.