• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

FYI: Bowling Green Amateur Championships

There are several of the ATL guys going, including myself. This is my second year and I can't wait!

Does anyone know what Flex Start means? I assume you can start a course for a tournament at anytime? But I imagine they would still pair you with someone because if you played it by yourself you could cheat?

Flex Start is for the "mini-tourneys" on Wed & Thurs prior to reg tourney. Means you show up between 9:00am and 2:00pm and the assign you to a 4some and you play and turn in the card at the end. Random staggered starts as players arrive.

I'll be there but I live there so I figured why not. Tech course is gonna be a beast. Played Phil Moore the other day, none of the creek holes were flooded but there was a LOT of standing water all over the rest of the course. Plus one basket had been completely ripped from the ground, concrete and all by one of the recent floods.

Hoping for good weather. Still snow on the ground here in Michigan so I guess as long as there's no snow I'll be happy.

Also, I'd love to get both a Vibram Ascent and a couple Ridges that will be in the players pack, so for those of you who aren't Vibram throwers, I'd be happy to trade discs with you.

I have been offline while, so here is the lastest update sent (or sending soon) to registered players:
March 15th Update:

Currently 467 registered players, with 12 days of registration left. The premium players pack is the first 500 registered, so if you got this e-mail we will have you players package when you check in. More announcements will come, but here is the latest info (scroll down for earlier updates):

Vibrum just announced:

Vibram Disc Golf will be putting 250 Granite Ridges and 250 Granite Ascents in the player packs. These are a test run of their new Granite process. If all goes well with this test run, we may see Granite discs (aka chunks) on store shelves this Summer. Steve Dodge of Vibram Disc Golf will also be at the Fly Mart with samples of their new discs (Trek, Ibex, and Cairn) and will be giving Vibram minis away to anyone wearing Vibram soled shoes. Rumors of more stuff abound, but this is all that can be confirmed as of now.

Dynamic Disc's details for the Hobson Grove Challenge is attached, an option for those who want to practice the course with pressure, or just grab another PDGA win for the season. Thursday 9-5 flex start with a non-sanctioned doubles or a one round PDGA x-c tier.

A thank you to The Farm in south Tennessee and the Bowling Green Moose Lodge for becoming hole sponsors. Their $100 hole sponsorship includes one entry, so if you want to get a hole sponsor we will refund your registration. Just e-mail the TD the sign and information.

Be sure to see the round sponsor Paragon Disc Golf at the fly mart; they will supply bag tags to the card winners of the second round of The Amateur Championship at Bowling Green

And the FLY MART is growing, with Phil Miller and Dan Oakley bringing old and new items taking advantage of the $50 registered player table. Additional tables are $20. Again, just e-mail if you want us to reserve your spot, we will rent the tables in advance so no last minute add ons.

Still time to bring our friends, with the final cutoff at 600 players (limit of 150 rec and int men).
Currently numbers:
125 Advanced men, 127 Intermediate men, 116 recreational men, 42 Advanced Master Men, 28 Advanced Grand Master Men.
24 women are taking advantage of being on the top card in their pool so far!

A reminder for the most asked question: we will not allow changing of your rating based assigned pool. All courses are very close together, so car pooling is not an issue – just drop your buddy off on the way to your course.

If you mailed in your registration please take time to join the Disc Golf U system, as they will be handling the payouts on line this year to allow you to pick your prizes. Winners will have credits put on their account to spend as they wish.

524 entered as of today.

Leaving a week from tomorrow to play the x-tier at Hobson and get a round in at BGTC.

Any other DGCR members planning to be there Thursday?

I have a hotel booked with an extra bed for Friday and Saturday nights. $50 for both nights. The person that was suppose to stay with me bailed so I am looking for someone. PM me if you are interested.

Discraft Glo Games Fri Night!

We hope you can join us... it's going to be epic.

bgac2011_glo_sm.jpg

524 entered as of today.

Leaving a week from tomorrow to play the x-tier at Hobson and get a round in at BGTC.

Any other DGCR members planning to be there Thursday?

I might play the Hobson X-tier, depending on what time I get off of work that day.

Man wish I was playing, love to get my hands on those Chunks. Want to show up at the Fly Mart wearing my five fingers shoes and score the mini too. Sounds like its going to be a great tournament.

I will be making the trip from west tennessee...

Just registered this morning. Im curious what the "equal value" after-500 registered packs will be like.

Fortunately, the courses are the reason I'm coming. Nothing given will disappoint. Can't wait for flymart. Ill have:

Tons of Ching Rocs
Fundraiser CFR discs for the Memphis Dogwood tournament in May
Fundraiser discs for my high school disc golf team (I teach)

Pm me anyone interested and Ill get you my cell phone #...

Went last year, had a blast, earned an Am Nats entry and never used it. I'll definitely use it if I earn one this year...

HB,

I just want to say thanks for all the work you do to make this such a great tourney. I am looking forward to seeing the new course at BG Tech College.

Thanks, Tim

I saw the course Sunday (C-Tier), Absolutely brutal. Any forehand dominant players beware! Some great holes but 3-5 feet off the fairway leads to punishment. I don't remember ever being constantly in so much trouble at a course.

http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/64491

Looks like they are calling BGTC par 62. Couple of the 4's look like easy threes distance wise. Looks like a 53/54 is 1000 rated.

A couple holes are very deceptive distance wise.

Here's my take on the Par 4's

Hole 2 - Legitimate Par 4 - 400+ down a tree/brush lined tunnel - turns slowly right then straightens up. Pops out into the open and uphill to the basket. Don't get on the right side - There is no escape. Can be 3'd with 2 well placed shots - I didn't do it!
Hole 3 - Should be a Par 3 ( I took a 3 & a 4 - I butchered an upshot from 100')
Hole 7 - Easy 4 - Shoots into the woods and turns a little right then left, basket on a slight slope (Took a 5 - Hit the same tree twice & a 4 - Missed a long putt from brush)
Hole 9 - Brutal if you leave the fairway. All about placement 250' then 200' and make a putt. My tee shot in round one deflected right and all hope was lost - Three shots later I can finally stand to throw - A 7. Took a 5 in the afternoon after skipping a drive into the rough again. Par 4
Hole 10 - I think this is a 3 - Placement shot & 75-80' upshot
Hole 14 - I think this is also a 3 - Pair of 3's and one on a terrible drive(the theme of the day)
Hole 15 - Nasty! Par 4 - All I have to say.
Hole 17 - I took a 3 and a 4, I'd call it a 4.

My Opinion - Par 59-60, I'd say 60 because of the sheer amount of trouble you can get into.

I am looking forward to hopefully getting to meet some of the people from DGCR over the course of the week/weekend. Best of luck to you guys who are playing.