• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Giant Hogweed?

Hogweed is some seriously nasty stuff. One of our local courses, Beaver Island, has some and the state tries to eliminate it. If you get a disc that lands in it you've lost it. Don't even think about retrieving it.

Giant Hogweed is a phototoxic plant. Its sap can cause phytophotodermatitis (severe skin inflammations) when the skin is exposed to sunlight or to UV-rays. Initially the skin colours red and starts itching. Then blisters form as it burns within 48 hours. They form black or purplish scars that can last several years. Hospitalisation may be necessary. Presence of minute amounts of sap in the eyes can lead to temporary or even permanent blindness. These reactions are caused by the presence of linear derivatives of furocoumarin in its leaves, roots, stems, flowers and seeds. These chemicals can get into the nucleus of the epithelial cells, forming a bond with the DNA, causing the cells to die. The brown colour is caused by the production of melanin by furocoumarins. In Germany, where this plant has become a real nuisance, there were about 16,000 victims in 2003.

Children should be kept away from Giant Hogweed. Protective clothing, including eye protection, should be worn when handling or digging it. If skin is exposed, the affected area should be washed thoroughly with soap and water and the exposed skin protected from the sun for several days.

Keep that shiz away from me! 3rd degree burns and blindness? EF that!

It looks a lot like a very common native wildflower called Queen Ann's Lace.

GiantHogweed.JPG

Holy Biowarfare, Batman! That plant is in it to win it. Anyone out there with an evil ex that needs a bouquet? :p

I played Beaver Island a couple falls ago, and lucky didn't see it, nor did I know what it is. That course is such a joy to play as well. I'm going to have to be on the look out for that crap up here in Michigan.

Nasty stuff, but it looks familiar, probably a harmless cousin I've seen. I'm hoping it's one of those plants that needs lots of water and humidity to survive, like poison ivy. The last thing we need on the courses here is more noxious weed(s). ;)
Looks like Michigan is on the list of places it is. Maybe that's where I've seen it or a similar plant.