• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

GL plastic is garbage.....?

I got a GL Flow and have only thrown it several times and yet to see much damage. Got a FLX Buzzz and that stuff is truly indestructable. That is the plastic standard to live up to.

I haven't had any problems at all with GL durability. For whatever reason I feel like I throw the opto plastic better and I also think it looks better, so while I have several of my main throwers in opto and GL, I tend to gravitate to the opto.

never had that kind of damage trouble with GL. is this happening to you consistently or is it just a few incidents? i do agree that opto just feels nicer and is sexier overall.

Yeah i have one gl river and its holding up nicely, my only complaint is the plastic is slick

Am I the only one that thinks gold line is garbage? I love latitude opto. Indestructable and very pretty. Gold line manages to be prettier (in the swirly color blends) but is it me or does this crap get chewed up as easy as dx or pro d plastic? One tree hit, one rock hit, one hit off of an old ladies head(kidding) and you could land a Buick in the gouge. Rant over. Chime in folks....

I can't speak for anyone else, but I've owned precisely one (1) GL disc, a 171 River, and one of my first throws with it during rec play, I hit a tree about 200 feet down the fairway on a shot that probably would have gone approximately 325 unobstructed. When I got to my disc, much to my chagrin, a noticeable chunk was missing from the rim. That said, the disc still flew well until I lost it, and for all I know, I was unlucky and hit the tree just right, or perhaps got the weak disc in the batch, but my first impression doesn't make me want to run out and grab another GL replacement.

Durable or not, we are talking plastic here. Take a knife to the edge of the most durable and you will see what I mean. It jus takes one unlucky hit and the same can happen.

I got a GL Flow and have only thrown it several times and yet to see much damage. Got a FLX Buzzz and that stuff is truly indestructable. That is the plastic standard to live up to.

Gotta disagree, just warped a flx drone after a rough hit to a tree. Never managed to taco anything gold line though. And I've had many more impacts with gold line that should have ended in tragedy but didn't. This was the drones first hit to anything.... at all. Wont be buying any more flx plastic.

I coincidentally put this whole discussion to a test last weekend. On Saturday during the Minnesota Majestic I lost my ace GL River in the pond on Hole 6 at Blue Ribbon Pines. Beautiful shot but the glide was just too good and it found the water. After the round I went out and purchased a new GL River so I can be back up to the three I want to carry at all times.

Sunday's round was at Kaposia which offers more than enough opportunities to hit something. To keep all my Rivers in relatively the same wear I cycle through them during the round. At some point during the round I pulled out the new River and noticed a nice sized gouge in the rim; not bad, but definitely noticeable and the largest on all my Rivers. Even the River I have been throwing for more than a year does not have damage like this. Again, it is not bad or flight changing or anything, just perfectly timed for this discussion.

wow i had no idea that this thread would get this much attention. I feel better reading that im not the only one with first throw gouges outta the GL plastic. Several of you said that you think it is more durable than either star or ESP. While i might be inclined to hate on Star plastic (i feel like it lacks the glide that other discs of the same mold, different plastic have) I LOVE ESP plastic. Yeah it gets beat in after a while but the grip and glide is great and i think its more durable than the GL. Swedes got two things right though for sure....Opto plastic....and Niklas Lidstrom.:thmbup:

Latest posts