• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Harrassing Texts from Disc Thieves

Status
Not open for further replies.
These threads always have a way of revealing a person's character.

I disagree. This particular subject has been beaten to death and then some. So, the discussions often turn antagonistic very quickly because people grow tired of it and want to "get it over with".

Also, it's entirely possible that people can be in my situation. I would absolutely return someone's disc if it was properly marked. On the other hand, I don't expect anyone to return mine and would tell people who get worked up over "disc thieves" to get over it and move on. I'm not going to spend my life worrying about a $10-15 piece of plastic (more like $5 after you've thrown it). None of my discs (or yours) are special snowflakes, no matter how unique you may perceive them to be. If it's a rare disc that actually has monetary or sentimental value, don't throw it.

A lost disc doesn't even ruin my morning. Sure, I get frustrated when I can't find it, but ultimately it just means I'm getting a new disc. :)

I've prolly found at least 500 discs between Schumaker pond and horsebridge. And I've given back 99% of the named ones. I always call, text, or email. I'm sentimental over the things I love (family, friends and my discs). I try to have the best possible disc karma. If I forget a disc on the ground it makes me sad especially with how many I've returned. The again I've been given back plenty of discs. Sometimes they go away and I'm sad for a bit, at least till I found another I liked just as much.

I only know one way to find discs. In boxers ;) I've even lost a disc off the dock a group of ladies paid for my frisbee. I found it the next time I went out too. That was a funny day lol

Last edited:
If you lost it or are too lazy to go in the water to get it then it is lost or abandoned. It's not theft if someone else picks it up. The right thing to do is return the disc but it's not illegal if you don't. These threads get everybody fired up and are ridiculous in my opinion. I threw a disc in a creek the other day that I have seen sewage drained into from travel trailers at the nearby fairgrounds. If somebody gets it good for them. That disc is no longer mine once I decided not to go in after it. I do call when I find one. Most new players or young players will not.

The point of this thread was not to talk about the theft of a disc, it was to talk about the harassment received by the stooge who found the disc.

Keep up.

If you lost it or are too lazy to go in the water to get it then it is lost or abandoned. It's not theft if someone else picks it up. The right thing to do is return the disc but it's not illegal if you don't.
So if you lose your wallet and I find it a day or so later, it's mine?

That said, I don't expect to get any of my lost discs back. Usually, a lost disc just gives me the chance to try new plastic, so no biggie. However, if it is marked with some sort of identification, there are jurisdictions where not returning it is considered theft.

The point of this thread was not to talk about the theft of a disc, it was to talk about the harassment received by the stooge who found the disc.

Keep up.

Hmmm...I see it more as a study in how to handle common, but unfortunate life experiences. There are lots of dbags, who have difficulty understanding right from wrong. (the harassing text, in this case) You can take the opportunity to educate (constructive and positive) or decide to let it go. The largest travesty occurs when the entitled feel they have been "disrespected" and find retribution necessary. This is the initiation of many of societies problems. The act of harassing texts does not cause or make retribution the correct action.

So if you lose your wallet and I find it a day or so later, it's mine?

That said, I don't expect to get any of my lost discs back. Usually, a lost disc just gives me the chance to try new plastic, so no biggie. However, if it is marked with some sort of identification, there are jurisdictions where not returning it is considered theft.

You throw your wallet out in the woods?

Hahaha the wallet/disc comparison always gets me. Apples and oranges IMO.

If someone finds my disc, they can't use it and it's contents to temporarily put a hold on my life. Now a wallet on the other hand...

Last edited:
I lost my wallet out in the woods once... went back exactly one year later, after a major spring flood in the area thinking ... well just maybe... I walk out there, glance down and see myself staring back at me in the image of my drivers license, just sitting there out in the open, big wad of cash and everything still in tact.

If someone finds my disc, they can't use it and it's contents to temporarily put a hold on my life. Now a wallet on the other hand...

But, and this might be the difficult part for you to understand, the distinction you draw is not one made laws that define theft. So for example, in my state, "theft" is define as:

The intentional taking of something of value that belongs to another with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of its use. This is generally broken down into:

1. Taking

Picking up a disc will satisfy this element.

2. Intentionally

You didn't trip and end up with the disc in your hand.

3. Something of value

Discs have value and easily satisfy this element

4. That belongs to someone else

This element is satisfied if the taker knows only that it does not belong to the taker.

5. Intent to permanently deprive owner of thing

This is easily satisfied as long as you have no intention of giving it back to the owner, i.e., you are not just legitimately borrowing it without permission. If you are borrowing it without permission, that is a separate crime.

So. In my state, taking a disc you find on a disc golf course is theft.

Hahaha the wallet/disc comparison always gets me. Apples and oranges IMO.

The reason people make the analogy, is because the analysis is exactly the same whether the thing taken is a wallet or a disc. The same analysis applies to a car or a diamond ring or even commonly available fruit. It's theft either way. That the analogy "gets" you or that you find it funny speaks more to your lack of reasoning skills than your sense of humor. But then again, if you can't understand that taking something that doesn't belong to you is theft, no one should expect you to comprehend things like analogies.

Haha, this thread is still going on? TL;DR cliffs notes?

But, and this might be the difficult part for you to understand, the distinction you draw is not one made laws that define theft. So for example, in my state, "theft" is define as:

The intentional taking of something of value that belongs to another with the intent to permanently deprive the owner of its use. This is generally broken down into:

1. Taking

Picking up a disc will satisfy this element.

2. Intentionally

You didn't trip and end up with the disc in your hand.

3. Something of value

Discs have value and easily satisfy this element

4. That belongs to someone else

This element is satisfied if the taker knows only that it does not belong to the taker.

5. Intent to permanently deprive owner of thing

This is easily satisfied as long as you have no intention of giving it back to the owner, i.e., you are not just legitimately borrowing it without permission. If you are borrowing it without permission, that is a separate crime.

So. In my state, taking a disc you find on a disc golf course is theft.

The reason people make the analogy, is because the analysis is exactly the same whether the thing taken is a wallet or a disc. The same analysis applies to a car or a diamond ring or even commonly available fruit. It's theft either way. That the analogy "gets" you or that you find it funny speaks more to your lack of reasoning skills than your sense of humor. But then again, if you can't understand that taking something that doesn't belong to you is theft, no one should expect you to comprehend things like analogies.

Wrong! There's quite the difference.

You do not get charged with the same crime if you keep or steal someone's disc as you would if you kept or stole their wallet or car.

Comparing discs to anything else valuable is wrong and dumb. :)

But finding a disc in a bush isn't the same as "taking" a disc. In order to take a disc from someone, the have to first be in possession of it. And clearly if it's sitting in the bushes...then they don't have possession. So IMO, that scenario doesn't satisfy the definition of theft.

But finding a disc in a bush isn't the same as "taking" a disc. In order to take a disc from someone, the have to first be in possession of it. And clearly if it's sitting in the bushes...then they don't have possession. So IMO, that scenario doesn't satisfy the definition of theft.

By that same logic, finding a wallet and keeping it isn't theft either, right?

Sigh the lost disc/theft discussion is so stupid. Moral of the story, if someone finds your disc and doesn't call...they are an idiot. If you find out someone found your disc, didnt call and you try to pursue legal action (aside from maybe a super rare disc, etc)...YOU are an idiot.

Nice assumption, but no. I never said that. Since you've been so closely following my logic, then you should should remember that I said you are conparing apples to oranges.

A lost disc doesn't expose you to identity theft, the clearing of your bank accounts, and other types of fraud that could cause damage to your life and well-being.

I'd love to meet the guy who calls the cops over a $15 piece of plastic. "Yeah I lost a Frisbee in the woods and some meanie head won't give it back!" I'm sure they'll have the detectives crawling all over that. :doh:

Nice assumption, but no. I never said that. Since you've been so closely following my logic, then you should should remember that I said you are conparing apples to oranges.

A lost disc doesn't expose you to identity theft, the clearing of your bank accounts, and other types of fraud that could cause damage to your life and well-being.

I'd love to meet the guy who calls the cops over a $15 piece of plastic. "Yeah I lost a Friedberg in the woods and some meanie head won't give it back!" I'm sure they'll have the detectives crawling all over that. :doh:

The post I was responding to said nothing about the value of the object. You were making a distinction between finding a disc in the bushes and taking a disc out of someone's hand. Why should that distinction differ based on the perceived value of the object?

I'd love to meet the guy who calls the cops over a $15 piece of plastic. "Yeah I lost a Frisbee in the woods and some meanie head won't give it back!" I'm sure they'll have the detectives crawling all over that. :doh:

so I've been wrong using my SSN to mark my discs?

Status
Not open for further replies.