• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Putters] Help me pick a driving putter

Which one Should I go with

• Nova

Votes: 20 26.7%
  • Envy

Votes: 55 73.3%

• Total voters
So true... However, he threw an Ion last. All day long, I say that's a mid. That's no putter.

Yeah he definitely throws his ions as far as a lot of people do drivers. Anodes are just ions without a bead. Neither feel anything like a mid though very deep dish style mold. He also putts with one on the regular so I think its a putter too. :)

OK..

What I mean by utility is an all around up shot putter, if I throw it straight it goes straight, or if I huck it on an anhiezer or Hyzer it will go on that intended line.

I can get my Wizard to do this but I need more distance and I don't like the bead.

If you need more distance than the Wizard, the Nova is not really the answer. Unless the problem is that the Wizard is fading out too much at the lower speed that most people would throw upshots. I throw both envy and nova. The envy I mainly use for full or nearly full power shots out to around 250. It will fade, but not too much (I usually aim about 10 feet right of where I want it to land). The nova I rarely throw full power b/c I find it harder to release with a power grip, but under 200 it will certainly fade less than the envy and hold its original line a little better. The nova is my go to disc for touch upshots.

If you threw the nova and liked it (kinda rare), then you need to get one.
Driving with it is much harder than approaching with it, and since you mentioned you want an approach disc, this is it.

Just don't expect those hyzer lines, because the nova is too straight for that, especially when worn in.

The nova is straight and then straight some more. It's not for nothing that McBeast uses it for all straight upshots. I can really recommend it as a straight driving putter.

Never tried the envy.

Get yourself and Envy, and a Proxy. Envy is a nice consistent driving putter that will always fade back for you, and you can put A LOT into it. The Proxy is a good powered down driving putter, or hyzer flip putter. Best combo in my bag.

I think instead of trying to find a disc that fits your throw you should stick with your wizards and just learn to manipulate them. If you practice with them enough youll never need anything but your wizard, they are the best all around (utility) driving putter out there.

I think instead of trying to find a disc that fits your throw you should stick with your wizards and just learn to manipulate them. If you practice with them enough youll never need anything but your wizard, they are the best all around (utility) driving putter out there.

I used to think that before I got the Envy. Now I realize that the Envy is the single best disc in disc golf.

Personally, I would go for a more common mold. At least a disc that you can get both in base and premium plastics. Put with the base, drive with the premium. I use Aviar P&A DX for putting and G* for driving straight or anhyzer, and Fusion Warden for hyzer or headwind duties. All feel similar in hand, but suit different duties.

MVP/Axiom have always had the disadvantage when it comes to options in mold/plastics. Nova also suffers from limited plastics options. Nothing against them, but neither are mainstream.

Envy is available in 4 different plastic styles and baseline atom is bascially an envy FWIW. They dont have any problems in 2015 with molds and plastics. Its not like they can just release a new disc and plastic everyday lol.

People are wayyyyyyy to stuck on old school stuff IMO. Yes the aviar works fine obviously its been around longer then some people posting here probably have lived. Lots of companies make an aviar in 2015 and its not even confusing which "one" to buy.

Proton Envy is by far the best driving putter I've ever thrown. It's the only MVP/Axiom mold I throw and it will never leave the bag. You can hammer them flat and they'll hold a straight line with a consistent fade at the end.

I have owned both the NOva and the Envy. I still bag the Envy. The nova is way to deep and way to sensitive to be a driving putter for me. Also, I like the way the Envys overmold does not wrap around to the inside of the disc. I had way to many grip issues with the NOva because of this.

Since this is back from the dead: If you still haven't decided on a driving putter, go get a Scale... You're welcome.

Latest posts